• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

IKEA Endtable Referb

duke

New Shoots
Reaction score
Sanded down this table which had a finish similar to the chair in pic. The end table is 27 years old, solid wood. Stain with my favorite colour, Provincial by min wax. Multiple coats of clear shellac. Three more to do.

Nice table Duke. Ikea gets a bad rap these days as nearly all their furniture is chipboard. About the same time your table was built we bought a pine dressing table also solid wood. It was still knockdown in construction but I glued it as I put it together and it still looks good today.

Nice table Duke. Ikea gets a bad rap these days as nearly all their furniture is chipboard. About the same time your table was built we bought a pine dressing table also solid wood. It was still knockdown in construction but I glued it as I put it together and it still looks good today.
My wife is asking me to refinish all the IKEA pieces. I do like simplistic look regarding some of their designs. Trying to get as much done before I hit the road on Sunday.

Just sent a duplicate pic, shouldn't have.
Mod edit. Duplicate picture removed 👍
1000001698.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never tried French polish , this wipe or brush on shellac dries very quickly.

How do you apply that Zinzer shellac duke? And can it be used with a rubber to French Polish do you think?
Certainly did the job on that table.
Ian
Sorry I didn't answer your question. I used a 1 1/2" brush. Only one left of my stock.

Thank you, perfect, so the wiping on with a lint free cloth I shall take to mean French Polishing.
It’s a bit of an art to do to get a really good Piano type finish, and it’s an art that I’m not interested in tbo, but getting a reasonably good attractive finish on furniture is much easier to do.
Ian

Yes, the older furniture has held up well to abuse. Should outlast me.

Thank you, perfect, so the wiping on with a lint free cloth I shall take to mean French Polishing.
It’s a bit of an art to do to get a really good Piano type finish, and it’s an art that I’m not interested in tbo, but getting a reasonably good attractive finish on furniture is much easier to do.
Ian
You're not joking! French polishing a grand piano to high gloss is almost a lost art now. Very skilled and takes forever. 99.9% of modern pianos are sprayed in polyester now. It's tough, and in skilled hands (usually Polish hands in EU repair shops) it is repairable.

My grandfather was a French polisher before WW1 up to and after WW2 and used to do ebonising polishing. My uncle was a cabinet maker at EMI Hayes making cabinets for radios, radiograms and TVs.

I'm not sure I've inherited any of their skills.

my grandfather was a tool maker at EMI Hayes during WW2. He was on air raid watch on the roof of the factory when the air raid shelter where the workforce were sheltering took a direct hit.

Back