• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

My new toy

Why don't you program it to do stripes, but with a pattern which takes out the three point turn? It could go along one strip, then turn 90 degrees right and go 2 or three metres along before going 90 degrees right to do another strip, turn 90 degrees right to then turn and run back alongside the first strip.......and so on. It would save the kerfuffle of the 3 point turn, and presumable save some battery power. In the video, it didn't resume a neat straight line for the strip for quite a few feet after the 3 point turn, and my suggestion would eliminate that issue.
Yep all these things are fed back to the developers Mike. The striping is currently done by AI and there's no process to manually create your own mapping, but it's on the list of feature enhancements.

Slightly off topic but a friend had one of the robot vacuum cleaners and a cat. You can probably get ones with sensors now but they can make quite a mess on the carpet if your cat is sick while you're out....

I like the look of that Mark and am tempted. It seems to be able to cope with most things watching the videos on their site.

Have I understood it correctly that the base station needs direct line of sight to the open sky but not to the mower when it’s cutting?

Cheers

Robert
Hi Robert

There is an RTK (satellite) antenna which can either be pole mounted next to the charging station if you can site that in an open enough area to have good sky visibility, or there is an extension for the power cable to enable you to mount the RTK either out in an open space away from the charging station or a 90deg angle bracket to enable you to mount it at the eaves of a building. The RTK only needs power, no direct connection to the mower.

The charging station can be anywhere really so long as it has decent sky view. Some people have seen issues if the charging station is enclosed by 2/3 walls. This is because while the RTK and mower don't need to talk directly, they work on the basis of seeing a certain number of satellites so they can talk. Let's say there are 65 satellites visible in the sky and the RTK can see 65, but the mower (like mine) is right next to the workshop so can only see 40% of the sky and can see 35 satellites, then so long as 20+ of those satellites can be seen by both RTK/mower at the same time then this classes as good signal.

Once the mower moves out of the charger and away from the wall it will obviously start to see more sat's and the signal improves.

The RTK and charger don't actually talk to each other, but the RTK and mower do, so if the charger is too enclosed to have good sat visibility when docked then this can cause problems.

Sorry if that's not clear, but happy to have a chat on the phone and talk through what I know (I'm very much still learning the quirks) and how it works in my real world situation. Just PM me if you want my number.

Slightly off topic but a friend had one of the robot vacuum cleaners and a cat. You can probably get ones with sensors now but they can make quite a mess on the carpet if your cat is sick while you're out....
Oh yes, there's a famous video of a combination of someone's white tiled kitchen floor, a robot mower and a dog who needed the toilet! Let's say no more than I imagine the cleanup took a while... 😲

Can you get them with a roller Mike as you would need that for stripes? My neighbour has just bought one but it's the perimeter wire type and he said he prefered stipes but couldn't gt one. I don't have experience it's just what he told me.

Edit
Ignore that, the video clearly shows stripes so my neighbour is wrong. he only had it installed last week so maybe he'll get what he wanted after all.

Can you get them with a roller Mike as you would need that for stripes? My neighbour has just bought one but it's the perimeter wire type and he said he prefered stipes but couldn't gt one. I don't have experience it's just what he told me.

Edit
Ignore that, the video clearly shows stripes so my neighbour is wrong. he only had it installed last week so maybe he'll get what he wanted after all.
The perimeter wires ones just bounce around so not sure how they would stripe, unless there are ones that also have GPS tracking. Mine doesn't have a roller but gives reasonable striped due to the way the cutters work and force the grass down as they pass.

Maybe follow a tractor pattern. Very efficient for sowing and spraying fields.

Back