• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

New Forum bugs/feature requests/dislikes etc

Isn't that the end of the perceived/ potential problem, then? Leave everyone a long editing time, and if someone stomps off in a huff and deletes their posts, you just wait a while and restore them all.
Not really, because arguably people can edit a post a couple of times and I think that will probably lose the version history... - we do though have rolling backups as well - it just all becomes more hassle for the mod team.

The point was also made above that worrying about edited / deleted posts is a commercial approach - that is to totally miss the point, this is a community of people, if one person has a strop, (and let's not fool ourselves into thinking that no-one here would ever do that ;) ) then it creates an issue with the flow of threads / information / etc. for all in the community - they are damaging what is being built by the whole community - not some simple commercial issue, but a genuine issue where people spend time committing to a group of people / committing to sharing knowledge - without which we would not have this forum - is it fair on all those others who have put themselves and their time into sharing to have one person who is selfish and breaks it?

That is much more the concern - the efforts Mark has put into this forum, and the team over the years (and then me more recently) are not about making money - it costs money! Instead it is because that team believes in building a great community and resource, and that does mean balancing needs / making it work for all, not just those who shout the loudest!

I've said enough on this. I don't believe anyone is shouting, nor do I think anyone has raised the issue of commercial concerns. Good luck with your cogitations.

I really don't want to weigh in on this subject any more, but it occurred to me when reading the last few posts that it's another reason to encourage people to upload images directly to the forum (and I know I'm guilty of transgressions here as my current WIP has images hosted on my website).

If there was a situation where someone had a big strop and decided to delete their posts, then even if the forum prevented edits, they could just delete the images off their external image host and the damage would be irreparably done - the remaining text on its own probably wouldn't be especially valuable in most cases.

I think my ideal is a community where people don't wish to have a strop! ultimately, it can't be stopped, and yes people can be disruptive if they choose - a shame though when it does happen as those people will have gained from others and then damage content for those others - but it is what it is!

I think we are lucky to have a great community of people with few issues - what goes on elsewhere is quite remarkable at times!

Hi all

Apologies for not weighing in on this sooner but I've had a busy few days and intended to post this much sooner.

Right, first thing to address, and one that clearly nobody has noticed, is that the decision was taken to listen to your feedback on the editing time and remove it completely. This was done on Tuesday and as such is no longer a thing!

As has been mentioned many times, there is a concern that someone can/could remove all their content so we want to protect this, not for commercial/monetisation reasons, but to protect the rich variety and quality much of the content here for the benefit of the majority.

We are all about the balance between democracy of the membership (because we want happy posters posting lots of interesting stuff) but while trying to protect that 'stuff' for everyone to see. We'll work on the basis that we're all on the same page and nobody is going to spit their dummy and go on a deletion rampage. If someone did then we would obviously need to look at this again but let's hope that is but a nightmare we never have to contemplate!

So there, it is no longer on the list because it's gone, and went on Tuesday lunch time, so edit to your hearts content!

Regarding the pics per post, there is an argument to both sides, and I mentioned this in a post a while back. Ideally I would like everyone to post their pics as thumbnails and allow me to expand them to view. That's how I like to do it, and it loads the pages much quicker that was, but again that was immediately countered by some people who didn't like that idea...

As the old adage goes, 'You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...'.

We'll have a look at the picture count but where do we stop, 20/50/100... I don't want to see a page with 100 pics on, and have to have that load up every time I want to see that thread. I know that's an extreme, but again it's about balance. We'll have a look and sort that soon.

Finally, to pick up on Adrian's comment, Alasdair has not taken over anything, but he is an admin the same as me for obvious reasons, and has had more time than me to respond in the past couple of weeks, nothing more than that.

All of the outstanding issues, bugs, features etc that are listed have been discussed in a Mod only board and over WhatsApp and nothing has been done without either my, or collective agreement. Nothing has changed in terms of ethos or management, but obviously we all have different tones and styles of language.

Fear not, nothing has changed, we're all aligned (albeit often along my personal timeline which is beholden to my busy lifestyle) and hopefully with this editing carbuncle removed from our collective bottoms we are all sitting a little more comfortably and can get back to watching Mike build his house.

Have a fabulous day everyone, I've got some actual paid work to do now. Cheers.

Last edited:
I've said enough on this. I don't believe anyone is shouting, nor do I think anyone has raised the issue of commercial concerns. Good luck with your cogitations.
"This suggests you are now running the forum now Alasdair, rather than Mark. This is not a criticism, just an observation that the different approach is noticeable and more typical of a multi forum operator. With so few really active contributors to popular big threads, it is interesting that the approach now is a little dismissive of their views. The route that kept all happy was not limiting photo posting and not limiting edit time to a quite daft 10 minutes (IMO, others may have a different view) in case some unidentified naughty person in the future starts deleting lots of really crucial stuff that is ever so valuable. This is the kind of thing that people monetising forums worry about. Can we go back to the old ethos please, but with this lovey new software?"

I read the above post possibly in a similar way as Alisdair but didn't comment Mike. Anyway all explained and sorted now.

Could the mods team have a look at the maximum number of images in a single post please?
I always try to take plenty of photos when doing any sort of wip thread and have been repeatedly hitting the limit, which is currently set at only 10. It's now so much easier to insert photos that I would welcome a bit more elbow room. It seems clumsy to have to split posts up, just to reset the count.
Where has this idea come from that it's only set to 10, it's set to 30 in the admin panel... 🤷‍♂️

Where has this idea come from that it's only set to 10, it's set to 30 in the admin panel... 🤷‍♂️
there are 2 settings:
- max images (inc externally linked)
- max attachments - uploaded photos but also pdfs etc.

max images was at 30 - still at 30
max attachments was at 10 now at 20

just to note though that this will mean adding another 51/4 inch floppy drive to the server to cope with the extra storage...

........ This is the kind of thing that people monetising forums worry about. Can we go back to the old ethos please, but with this lovey new software?"

I read the above post possibly in a similar way as Alisdair but didn't comment Mike. Anyway all explained and sorted now.
Yep, fair comment.

We are all about the balance between democracy of the membership (because we want happy posters posting lots of interesting stuff) but while trying to protect that 'stuff' for everyone to see. We'll work on the basis that we're all on the same page and nobody is going to spit their dummy and go on a deletion rampage. If someone did then we would obviously need to look at this again but let's hope that is but a nightmare we never have to contemplate!

Ideally I would like everyone to post their pics as thumbnails and allow me to expand them to view.
I've been known to have an occasional strop, (who? me? never! :sneaky:) but you have my word that whatever the circumstances I will never delete previous content It's something I'd never even contemplate.
I'll try to remember to post pics as thumbnails as well. Makes sense.

And while posting thanks again to all the mods for sorting out the niggles and idiosyncrancies, I for one am happy with the new software.

there are 2 settings:
- max images (inc externally linked)
- max attachments - uploaded photos but also pdfs etc.

max images was at 30 - still at 30
max attachments was at 10 now at 20
Brilliant, thanks Alasdair.
just to note though that this will mean adding another 51/4 inch floppy drive to the server to cope with the extra storage...
I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of 5¼" floppy drives in the loft if you want me to send them to you ;)

I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of 5¼" floppy drives in the loft if you want me to send them to you ;)

They were the days - the excitement of buying a new box of 5 1/4 or even the high-tech 3 1/2 disks - all that space to use! My first business was selling shareware disks to fellow school pupils!

I wonder if it would be possible to limit editing to people with a fair number of posts? Probably not, but most if not all of the problems I've come across have been caused by people with very few posts.
Let's leave it now Phil. Appreciate your suggestion but we've looked at the options, and originally the thought came from actions by well established members. We've reverted it, everyone's happy, let's let the conversation on that one die and hope we never have cause to need to open it up again. (y)

My first business was selling shareware disks to fellow school pupils!
I think mine was selling mahogany to fellow pupils - my mother used to buy me Victorian mahogany dining tables if they went for less than 10/- (50p) at auction, and I broke them and sold on what I didn't want.:)

I think mine was selling mahogany to fellow pupils - my mother used to buy me Victorian mahogany dining tables if they went for less than 10/- (50p) at auction, and I broke them and sold on what I didn't want.:)
What did your fellow pupils want with mahogany tables / wood?!

They were the days - the excitement of buying a new box of 5 1/4 or even the high-tech 3 1/2 disks - all that space to use! My first business was selling shareware disks to fellow school pupils!
It tickles me that the symbol for "Save" in so many programmes is a floppy disc...........something which a huge percentage of users of those programmes will have never seen in their lives.

It tickles me that the symbol for "Save" in so many programmes is a floppy disc...........something which a huge percentage of users of those programmes will have never seen in their lives.
I don't know if this is genuine or an urban myth, but there's a story going around that a father recently showed his child a 3.5" FD he found in a box and the kid's response was "Oh cute, you 3D printed the save icon." ! :ROFLMAO:

Right, first thing to address, and one that clearly nobody has noticed, is that the decision was taken to listen to your feedback on the editing time and remove it completely. This was done on Tuesday and as such is no longer a thing!

As has been mentioned many times, there is a concern that someone can/could remove all their content so we want to protect this, not for commercial/monetisation reasons, but to protect the rich variety and quality much of the content here for the benefit of the majority.

So there, it is no longer on the list because it's gone, and went on Tuesday lunch time, so edit to your hearts content!

Brilliant, thank you!

I will have a look at that but there will be some technical balances around character length of posts and efficiency of data storage and access so that will be the priority… I am away for 10 days so for now I would just finish one post and start a second - there is a drafts forum to help build long threads if needed!

I will have a look at that but there will be some technical balances around character length of posts and efficiency of data storage and access so that will be the priority… I am away for 10 days so for now I would just finish one post and start a second - there is a drafts forum to help build long threads if needed!

It’s editing my existing thread “Vintage Wood Machining Books”, which interestingly is only 7000 characters according to a character counter, unless the forum is also counting the hyperlinks in that which would bump that number up significantly.

It’s editing my existing thread “Vintage Wood Machining Books”, which interestingly is only 7000 characters according to a character counter, unless the forum is also counting the hyperlinks in that which would bump that number up significantly.
Makes sense why it is then an issue 😀 yes it will count everything from spaces to urls to words… no issue with how long the limit is, but need to check first that we don’t inadvertently create any issues and character limits are usually in place to optimise db code so I need to be sure we don’t create a problem!

Click on your name, top right of this page. Select Account Details, select avatar and select an image as required

Andy thanks.
I will do a change.
The move across has lost the foto definition.
Your 'duckling' could be any feathered bird :D

Mods.. I can not see any of Dr Als photos of his plane WIP. Just get text, with a dot jpg. No link to the photos.

the new forum is great, tho

Mods.. I can not see any of Dr Als photos of his plane WIP. Just get text, with a dot jpg. No link to the photos.

the new forum is great, tho
I would suspect that is a local issue at your end. Do you have the option of trying a different web browser? One of the more technically gifted mods will be along shortly and will perhaps be able to advise a likely cause.

Yes, I can see them.
I really don't understand why you'd be able to see them when you look at them on my website but not when you look at them on here. I wonder if it's related to all the problems I have when people post images on imgur and include them here.

I'm afraid I have no idea what to suggest (apart from reading the thread on my website: it has all the build descriptions and photos, just none of the comments from others or my responses to those comments).

Maybe try a different connection method to see if your ISP or computer is the problem? Phone using cellular data not wifi instead of home broadband maybe.

I really don't understand why you'd be able to see them when you look at them on my website but not when you look at them on here. I wonder if it's related to all the problems I have when people post images on imgur and include them here.

I'm afraid I have no idea what to suggest (apart from reading the thread on my website: it has all the build descriptions and photos, just none of the comments from others or my responses to those comments).
Still cannot see your photos..in the 'mix' thread, but see your plane blade, in the 'last thing made' thread.
fine looking blade,too

Still cannot see your photos..in the 'mix' thread, but see your plane blade, in the 'last thing made' thread.
fine looking blade,too
I can explain the difference between those two: the "mix" thread references photos from my website, whereas I uploaded the photo directly to the last thing made thread. That doesn't help explain why you can't see the photos in the mixed media thread.

We might have to wait for @akirk to get back and see if he has any ideas. What operating system and web browser are you using? Do you have any plugins installed on the web browser?

I can explain the difference between those two: the "mix" thread references photos from my website, whereas I uploaded the photo directly to the last thing made thread. That doesn't help explain why you can't see the photos in the mixed media thread.

We might have to wait for @akirk to get back and see if he has any ideas. What operating system and web browser are you using? Do you have any plugins installed on the web browser?
Yes - bit tricky for me to look in detail while out of the office but will have a look next week…

Back