• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Post a photo of the last thing you made...

Excellent, Geoff, although I'd be frightened to use your saw clamp for fear of spoiling it! :) Inlay and veneering........that stuff's for big boys. I might have a try in a few years. Yours look superb.

I noticed some Axminster 'Rider' chisels in the tool rack; they were introduced when I worked for the firm and I was mightily impressed. Made by Narex with extremely good steel and a decent hornbeam handle. Ian Styles (then MD) asked to test a cryo version that Narex were thinking of introducing and the edge holding was significantly better than the standard but that version never made it into production; instead they introduced the cryo 'Richter' chisels; (I sold a complete set of Japanese ones to buy some), which are superb - Rob

I couple of years ago my wife asked me to make a holder/display for her earrings. I found a few ideas online and cobbled them together to make this stylized timber frame wall hanging. Black walnut, oil finish. Nothing fancy but with the earrings mounted it makes a nice display.
40E8C15F-B297-4E03-A566-EB41F911F2C2_1_105_c.jpeg

She liked it and asked me to make another one for her sister's birthday. Finished it last week:

65E284B8-A70D-43D5-9270-6D6D1C36AC16_1_105_c.jpeg

I need to do similar for my wife, I am intrigued though, on yours you have two rows of holes - the top with a slit and then a drilled hole below that - but it seems that none of the top slits are being used, what is the thinking behind the slits?

At first glance I thought it was a board for the hymn numbers, but I guess that's just me!

Screenshot_20240419-081601.png

Last weekend I decided to make another box out of American Black Walnut. All hand tools.

There was no reason to make a box: just that I'd been doing a lot of metalwork and turning and I was missing using hand planes and chisels.

1713534361617.png

The lid is just a slidey thing:

1713534368635.png

It was nice to try out the new chisel handles I made recently and they felt comfortable to use. I was pleased I could still do mitred-corner dovetails after a few months' break!

1713534380168.png

Finish is Mike's Magic Mix as usual.

I need to do similar for my wife, I am intrigued though, on yours you have two rows of holes - the top with a slit and then a drilled hole below that - but it seems that none of the top slits are being used, what is the thinking behind the slits?
Well, the slits plus holes were in the model I copied. I think the idea is to give the option to use either, depending on the earring style. In fact my wife uses only the holes. I tried a sample with holes only and it looked funny so I duplicated the slits anyway. They are misaligned with the holes, because, um, I made a mistake lining them up while gang cutting the slits. I made the executive decision to forge ahead. When filled with earrings the misalignment isn't as noticeable. All you see are earrings, really.

About dusting them: not my problem!

Al, that's a very nice, useful box and a reminder to anyone who's trying to get back into making stuff that it can be really enjoyable to start something and finish it promptly.

I'm interested in the nice thin sliding lid - did you thin that down from solid?

Last weekend I decided to make another box out of American Black Walnut. All hand tools.
Superb, Al, well done. Your woodworking journey has been rapid.

If I could make a tiny suggestion..........try to keep the mitre part of the dovetail as small as you can, because this is essentially an unjoined section of the corner, with the risk of the joint opening up if the wood starts cupping.

Last edited:
Superb, All, well done. Your woodworking journey has been rapid.

If I could make a tiny suggestion..........try to keep the mitre part of the dovetail as small as you can, because this is essentially an unjoined section of the corner, with the risk of the joint opening up if the wood starts cupping.
Thanks Mike, I'll bear that in mind. The main reason for making it the width I did was to make sure that both the grooves (lid and base) were firmly in the mitred section (so I didn't have to worry about stopped grooves). On the bottom mitre in particular, I'm sure I could have made it smaller.

Al, that's a very nice, useful box and a reminder to anyone who's trying to get back into making stuff that it can be really enjoyable to start something and finish it promptly.

I'm interested in the nice thin sliding lid - did you thin that down from solid?
Yes, but it was quite thin already. I've got various offcuts of American Black Walnut lying around - when I resaw something (by hand or by bandsaw) I tend to save the offcut if it's thick enough to potentially be useful for a box.

This one was about 4 mm thick at the thin end and 5 mm thick at the thick end. I planed it down to about 3 mm thick with a #5.

Well, the slits plus holes were in the model I copied. I think the idea is to give the option to use either, depending on the earring style. In fact my wife uses only the holes. I tried a sample with holes only and it looked funny so I duplicated the slits anyway. They are misaligned with the holes, because, um, I made a mistake lining them up while gang cutting the slits. I made the executive decision to forge ahead. When filled with earrings the misalignment isn't as noticeable. All you see are earrings, really.

About dusting them: not my problem!

Are the slits not for studs?
My wife has lots of hangers and studs.

Last edited:
made a CD storage cabinet out of redwood pine, featuring mitred dovetails and tenoned housing joints, it's very long, about 6 foot 6, attached to the wall via hidden french cleat in the back, finished with one layer of de-waxed shellac. The joints aren't as good as I wanted them to be but I can live with it. The design is my own, haven't seen anything quite the same.

Attachments

• cd_cabinetno1 (10 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (10 of 10).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 16
  • cd_cabinetno1 (9 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (9 of 10).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 12
  • cd_cabinetno1 (8 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (8 of 10).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 11
  • cd_cabinetno1 (7 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (7 of 10).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
  • cd_cabinetno1 (6 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (6 of 10).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 15
  • cd_cabinetno1 (5 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (5 of 10).jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 16
  • cd_cabinetno1 (4 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (4 of 10).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 12
  • cd_cabinetno1 (3 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (3 of 10).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 14
  • cd_cabinetno1 (2 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (2 of 10).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 18
  • cd_cabinetno1 (1 of 10).jpg
    cd_cabinetno1 (1 of 10).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 19
made a CD storage cabinet out of redwood pine, featuring mitred dovetails and tenoned housing joints, it's very long, about 6 foot 6, attached to the wall via hidden french cleat in the back, finished with one layer of de-waxed shellac. The joints aren't as good as I wanted them to be but I can live with it. The design is my own, haven't seen anything quite the same.
Nicely made! There’s a lot of weight in that, is each shelf held up separately, I.e. cleat or cleats, or is there a back in it?
Ian

Bowl in Greengage, 130mm diameter:

IMG_2702.jpeg

Bob9F gave me the 'heads up' a couple of years ago about one of his neighbours who was taking down a tree and... 'did I want some of the wood?' This will shortly end up in Victoria, BC - Rob

Nicely made! There’s a lot of weight in that, is each shelf held up separately, I.e. cleat or cleats, or is there a back in it?
Ian
thanks Ian, there's a hidden french cleat that's glued and screwed/dovetailed into the back, I may actually make and fit a second cleat under the middle shelf as well which would help to stop it sagging but it's holding up alright so far.

Nicely made, you must either be quite tall or have low ceilings, or use steps:)

Bowl in Greengage, 130mm diameter:

Bob9F gave me the 'heads up' a couple of years ago about one of his neighbours who was taking down a tree and... 'did I want some of the wood?' This will shortly end up in Victoria, BC - Rob
I expected greengage, a type of plum, to be lighter than that.

I expected greengage, a type of plum, to be lighter than that.
Hard and dense Andy, but nice to turn with that distinctive sort of colour. It just about fitted into the smallest set of Button Jaws on the lathe to finish the foot; even so No.4 jaw was just holding and at one point detached itself from the job whilst it was spinning. Definitely a 'brown trouser' moment - Rob

I’m taking a letterpress class on the weekends so I’m making a woodcut border to use on Saturday. And listening to live music.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.jpeg
    IMG_3425.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 11
OK, so not really woodwork. I've been limbing trees and felling a few trunks. There is something weirdly satisfying about stacking logs up. These are not really big enough to split. I'm about half way through the cutting pile and a third through the stacking job. Guess this is about 3 cubic metres stacked.
First stack.jpgFirst stack.jpgstack.jpg

That's 3 years worth of firewood for me......and the perfect size, too. I prefer small stuff that I don't have to split.

Agree. Splitting is a chore, but I will have to split the trunks. Not sure how long it will last us when the store is full - we have two stores and this one will be dry enough to use in a year as it will get full summer sun all day.

Was interesting to compare petrol saw with 40v battery: petrol is much quicker and does a far cleaner cut. Battery runs much slower and leaved ragged cuts through green bark. Oddly enough I felt safer using the bigger petrol saw.

Yes, as the saying goes: it warms you twice. Very satisfying work.

Back when I had a wood stove, seeing a full stack ready to use always made me feel wealthy and secure no matter what my bank account said.

Back