• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Spoke shave "The Wonder"

Boringgeoff

Seedling
Reaction score
I've got another spoke shave question. This is not mine, it belongs to my friend Bob. The main body is aluminium with the sole cast into it, the cap bronze and the blade steel. you can see that the cap says "THE WONDER. BRITISH MADE" in addition, Bob has given me a patent number 10525 which I've tried to find without any luck.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• IMG_5140.jpg
    IMG_5140.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 18
Hmmm. As I am sure you already know, searching Espacenet for 10525 brings up no GB records. As far as I know the digitisation of historical patents never got finished and I can't believe it's on any Government to-do list.
Searching paper records needs a visit to Kew, or possibly Newcastle Library.

Looking at it, mostly because of the use of aluminium, I'd guess it's from the 50s. There was a brief period when firms had manufacturing facilities freed up from war work and there was a surge in DIY to fix up UK housing when there was also a shortage of skilled tradesmen.

There were other tools made from aluminium, such as planes by Milbro and Lewin and another shave by Rapier which I think are from then.

I don't know of anything much written about these tools or their makers.

Is it any good?

Thanks for your reply Andy, we have a similar problem looking up patents here in Australia. I think it's in Bob's collection more for the unique construction than the useability, he brought it to a HTPSWA meeting on Thursday night and I must say it's a very pretty tool.
Cheers,
Geoff.

I was told, years ago (but I can't remember by whom) that there was a surplus of aluminium post-war, when high volume military aircraft manufacture pretty much stopped. There were many uses found for it, some inappropriate, such as its use in house wiring (which persists to this day in the USA).

Back