• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Take care with latest iPhone update 17.4.1

AJB Temple

Sequoia
Reaction score
Name
Adrian
Apple, in their wisdom, have released iphone update ios 17.4.1 which takes an age to download and locks you out fully in the meantime. Quite a few users (inc me) mare reporting that this has created the infamous "no sim card" bug and in many cases also refuses to recognise your usual wifi. Also seems to kill battery life in some phones. Various re-insertions and resets are supposed to fix this. Not in my case. Phone is useless now as a phone and by the look of it has to go back to apple for attention.

Might be wise to turn off auto update if you have it toggled on, and wait for the next software update to fix it. Back up phone to iCloud or whatever before you download software as if you can't get into wi fi afterwards you are a bit stuck.

Thanks Roger. I stupidly had auto update on. Should know better. As we ditched our land line being without a phone for a bit is a nuisance.

Adrian, I upgraded my iPhone 12 to 17.4.1 (build 21E236) in late March and haven't experienced any of the issues you identified. I even checked for the reported Jerusalem flag issue, but it hasn't affected my phone.

When a new iOS is released, I go to Forbes for recommendations on whether or not to update or skip. According to Forbes, the current build of version 17.4.1 is 21E237. I checked for updates on my phone, and it reports it is up to date, so I'll ignore any notices until after 17.5 is released.

I haven't confirmed this, but apparently it is possible to reload the iOS by connecting the phone to a Mac and updating through iTunes. Here is one discussion on reddit:

Thanks Mike. Helpful. My inlaws are in Germany as you know and my FIL has not had the issues either. My phone did auto update in UK a couple of days ago. Web enquiry suggests 17.4.1 is buggy and apple have identified issues on their web site. In my bike club forum several people in the UK have had similar issues. I can now get it to recognise wi fi though it takes several minutes (should be instant), but have to rescan the password from a QR every time I restart the phone. It has also dumped face id, which is odd.

Ipad on same OS upgraded a week or so back with no issues.
The Jerusalem flag issue does appear in Mail.

iPhone 12 fully up to date with no problems for me.

Pete
Great Pete. I wish I was in your shoes. It's clearly not a problem for everyone, and it may depend on whether the large update was downloaded wirelessly and got an interruption. But when it is a problem it is a real nuisance. It is a known issue and probably wise to do download via connection to a computer as is something like 8Gb.

It is a known issue and probably wise to do download via connection to a computer as is something like 8Gb.
I did this once with my 6S and iTunes downloaded the full iOS, and not the smaller incremental update you receive over the air. The 8GB size appears to be correct for the complete iOS now.

Adrian, I upgraded my iPhone 12 to 17.4.1 (build 21E236) in late March and haven't experienced any of the issues you identified. I even checked for the reported Jerusalem flag issue, but it hasn't affected my phone.

When a new iOS is released, I go to Forbes for recommendations on whether or not to update or skip. According to Forbes, the current build of version 17.4.1 is 21E237. I checked for updates on my phone, and it reports it is up to date, so I'll ignore any notices until after 17.5 is released.

Mine is an iphone 12 mini and the software is shown as up to date, same version as yours Mike 17.4.1 (21E236). Auto updates are always switched off and I leave it a month or more before installing any new updates, just in case.:unsure:

Mine is an iphone 12 mini and the software is shown as up to date, same version as yours Mike 17.4.1 (21E236). Auto updates are always switched off and I leave it a month or more before installing any new updates, just in case.:unsure:
Same here. I have no desire to be an early adopter for new software or patch releases.

I always install the latest update wirelessly as soon as it’s available and never have a problem.

I would do a reload in iTunes

Pete

Android has its faults too (and I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool Android user)
Yoh, Ah kno'. But yea', but no**, Ah just find the endless 'update extortion' from Happle where they render your aging software (and therefore, phone) obsolete unacceptable.

** Apologies Vikki. 😎

Yoh, Ah kno'. But yea', but no**, Ah just find the endless 'update extortion' from Happle where they render your aging software (and therefore, phone) obsolete unacceptable.

** Apologies Vikki. 😎
That's not 100% their fault, TBH. When you drill down to the nuts and bolts, chip manufacturers will continue to evolve. So they change their architecture...which needs different s/w. But that s/w won't work on older chips. ie older phones etc. So they need to update...

Agreed, Roger, point taken. That said, I worked in a Staff Room of largely younger and technophile individuals. A large proportion of them had i-Phones and the collective intake of breath when one was dropped, was impressive. Inevitably, the screen resembled a burglar's trademark. Ironically, the Head of Computer Science was on her third screen in two years when I left.
By comparison, us Samsung owners got away comparatively unscathed. The contrast in durability, plus the 'high software maintainence' just put me off Mr. Jobs.
Jumping at the chance to be Devil's Advocate, I am typing this on a Redmi Note Pro. Built like a brick, but....the increasing crescendo of " the Chinese made stuff is watching you" that I read has me reconsidering the wisdom(?) of following all those tech reviews that recommended it. Harrumph!!

Just to close this. It has now been fixed. There appears to be a glitch in the software release that rather than triggering an incremental update wirelessly, on just some phones a full update over the air was triggered. It's 8gb, takers hours, and on my phone this failed. This killed both wifi and sim on the phone. Although wi fi could be got going, I had to input network details each time as the phone would not remember the home network. The guy at the Apple service centre at Bluewater said he had a steady queue of people with appointments for the same problem.

Ended up being forced to reinstall the phone software fully and replace the SIM card. I use SMARTY for phone (no contract and a lot of data) and they came through with a new sim in 1 day which was pretty good I thought.

Can't say that I am impressed with Apple after this debacle.

When this thread was first started, being naive, I had not realised there was an option not to update.
So I altered three apple devices to not do automatic updates.
But they updated anyway.
It was however a few days after Adrian’s experience so I guess that the update was fixed and we had no problems.
I am rather annoyed that they managed to ignore my settings though.
How did that happen??

It may be that you have ignored a pop up or clicked the wrong button. When software updates are released you will usually get a notification in top right corner of screen. This will say something like "your system will update tonight". You can close the dialogue box (which feels like saying "no", but isn't) or tell it to update now but if you want to avoid the update you will have to check your update and sync settings. I run three machines at home plus iPhone and a very rarely used iPad.

Generally as an Apple user since year dot I do updates fairly promptly as problems tend to emerge if you let things get too far behind - especially operating systems - where jumping an upgrade from one OS to one say two or three generations on, can create delays. Had a significant issue with a 2013 laptop pro because of this. But Apple were more trustworthy in the Jobs era (ie cared about customer experience), and now they are basically all about flogging phones and I trust them much less.

Thanks.
Some of that went over my head (did I mention that I am naive about these things?).
I’ll get an offspring to explain in detail 🤓

Back