• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Recent content by Jonathan

  1. J

    Veneered wall art

    I have very little knowledge of veneer work but my logic would suggest to make the torsion box with horizontals at approximately 300mm centers or smaller and fit the ply to the box, dress the sides or paint black.
  2. J

    Veneered wall art

    Stuart, does it have to be 100% flat? As it’s for wall art could you not make it so it’s on a thick ish frame that was a torsion box? I work with artists and none of there work is anything like perfect.
  3. J

    Staining English Walnut?

    Over here in Spain the powder is called Nogalina, most paint suppliers sell it. https://www.amazon.es/PROMADE-Promade-Nogalina-500-gr/dp/B07DL8T7NZ As Steve suggests you can mix it as dark or light as you want, just have to be careful if you are applying a water based top coat.
  4. J

    Are there any cheaper alternatives to this, please ?

    Rodger I have the Fein thing Rob mentioned and a cheapo Delta sander, neither would be recommended if you want a good finish. I bought my wife the Festool RTS which is more economical than the Mirka and it’s excellent. The Festool DTS is the same as the RTS but with the pointy pad. I believe...
  5. J

    Wellington & Manawatu Railway.

    Reading this reminds me of one of my favorite films….. The Station Agent. Incredible project Vann, following with interest.
  6. J

    A little bit of wadkin history

    Lovely job Wallace, and well done for saving them. Reminds me of our old bike shed when I was young. My father’s company used to do all the building work for Lloyd’s Bank Downham Market, we had there old front doors.
  7. J

    Clamps

    I have many different brands of quick clamps, my go to is always the Irwin’s. I love my Wolfcraft clamps, especially the big ones,really nice to use but occasionally they refuse to work, they just refuse to clamp up until you pull and let go of the handle a few times🤷‍♂️
  8. J

    New Workshop layout, your thoughts please.

    I forgot you had a planner/thicknesser attached. I’ve heard others say the combo fence is a pain. I have a long fence on my slider and love it for panel work. I also have the parallel rip attachment for the slider side but don’t use it much as it takes too long to set. Best upgrade I did on my...
  9. J

    New Workshop layout, your thoughts please.

    Ian what’s the story with the Rip fence on the SCM
  10. J

    Help and guidance sort: hand planes renovation 🙏

    Interesting Rob, never heard of them before, will look into what’s available over here and give them a whirl
  11. J

    Help and guidance sort: hand planes renovation 🙏

    Rob, yep it would work, just wire wool is just a little messy with WD40. I always apply wax with fine wire wool, can’t remember where I learned that one but it de nibs and doesn’t leave any scratches.
  12. J

    Hot cup mark on table

    Having worked with quite a few polishers over the years my guess the meths could have had something else mixed with it that was top secret passed down from the masters. I know for a fact they have things ready to play with when people are watching, similar to the secrets in F1 engineering. I...
  13. J

    New Workshop layout, your thoughts please.

    Ian I would go surface mount for everything on a white background for a workshop, I always end up moving stuff. I went with the 600mm square LED lights which I divided into 8 different zones, I really get shadows. Regards layout, you have been in the business long enough to know what works for...
  14. J

    Help and guidance sort: hand planes renovation 🙏

    Ian if your lacking elbow grease you can always put a orbital sander on top of the pads, makes it super easy on big surfaces
  15. J

    Squares for track saws

    Clamping a track to the end of the board will probably be more accurate than using a track square as the square is prone to human error ……I built mine to use when I was doing some solid wood floors, it was quicker to use on the floor rather than get up and walk to the chop saw….. I really don’t...
Back
Top