• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Recent content by Mike G

  1. Mike G

    Salt and Pepper grinders

    How easy would it be to swap them over? I'm just thinking that the darker one might be better as a pepper grinder and the lighter one as salt, for a visual clue. Anyway, they're very nice.
  2. Mike G

    A simple wedge system for work holding.

    You don't. You could report it, and the moderators could then either lock this thread, or merge it with the other one.
  3. Mike G

    Woodworking shows & open day announcements

    That's a pity. Enjoy the ploughing, and see you next time.
  4. Mike G

    Are Log Home Kits Worth the Investment?

    We're not really going to be able to help you here on a UK-based forum. We don't have such things. There are some shed kits built of logs available, I believe, but not houses.
  5. Mike G

    2 lessons learned today.

    Apparently, if you're given a shopping list and come back with everything on the list, but nothing else, you've forced your wife into another trip to town to buy everything you missed.
  6. Mike G

    Woodworking shows & open day announcements

    Excellent. I wanted a chat.....
  7. Mike G

    Woodworking shows & open day announcements

    Right, who else is coming along to Carlton Scroop on Saturday? I'll chuck some bog oak in the car if anyone wants any......but it won't be much.
  8. Mike G

    Anybody try something like this wedge system if you don't have a tail vise?

    I tend to use a doe's foot and a holdfast. I much prefer the wood to be quickly pick-uppable for a check, and so a tail vice or wedge system would be a bit of an annoyance. I also don't want a line of dog holes along the working edge of my bench, having lived with stuff dropping through them on...
  9. Mike G

    First freeze of the year 8th October 2026

    First freeze of the autumn....... I expect you had plenty of frosts in January, Feb etc. And yes, with temperature-dependant finishes going on the teardrop, I have to keep a keen eye on the weather at the moment. We're much warmer here in East Anglia, though.
  10. Mike G

    Church Notice Board

    I've a couple of comments. Firstly, unless someone tells you otherwise, don't follow the design of the existing doors. They're actually quite ugly, being nearly square, and it's hard to tell from your 3D model whether you've copied them. If you can make them taller and narrower it would really...
  11. Mike G

    A roof in Sweden

    Lack of skills, and wanting to keep the costs down.
  12. Mike G

    Seven Heirlooms - Rear view!

    ....so long as the clay was dug out of the ground without a spade.
  13. Mike G

    A roof in Sweden

    No. It will be boarded over with horizontal boards. Above the sole plate will be vertical boards to match the house. I really don't like that arrangement, but Magnus was adamant about not wanting any masonry.
  14. Mike G

    A roof in Sweden

    The ones that go up and down the roof are counterbattens. The ones we saw on sale in Sweden were 48 x 12mm. The ones running along the roof are tile battens, or just battens. Counterbattens can be a bit of a pain, but apparently are a requirement in Sweden. On a house, apparently, t&g boards...
  15. Mike G

    Picture Frames

    My rule* is sanding for shaping is OK. In fact, sanding and then scraping can work really well, leaving you with a cleaner finish than if you just stopped at sanding. Great result. They're really nice looking and quirky frames. *My other rule is that all rules are there to be broken, unless...
Back
Top