• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Recent content by SteveMP

  1. S

    Stanley 50 plough plane blade wobble/rock

    Your images there are helpful, thank you!, and yes my blade looks like the bottom concave picture, (excellent). However still performs terribly. Another thing that makes it worse IMHO, is that the sides of the blades are tapered front to back, like some mortise chisels are. What I mean is the...
  2. S

    Anybody try something like this wedge system if you don't have a tail vise?

    I had seen your dog hole tail vise on your site before , ingenious! I don't have the skill or tools to make something like that so did think about buying one of the Veritas "wonder dog"...
  3. S

    Anybody try something like this wedge system if you don't have a tail vise?

    I don't have a tail vise on my bench. I usually just use holdfasts and battens which work fine 98% of the time. But every once in a while I feel like I could use some extra force against the planing stop. Saw this video of this wedge system, anybody try something like this if you have a bench...
  4. S

    A visit to The Beamery

    Very cool! I have ordered tools from Shelter Tools, who is also The Shelter Institute https://www.shelterinstitute.com/. They teach online and in-person timberframing using mainly hand tools. Have been wanting to take one of their courses, probably some day.
  5. S

    Stanley 50 plough plane blade wobble/rock

    Its funny you mention that because I did notice the cutter I was using was bent so i tried hammering it straight as i could. But to be honest i don’t remember which direction it was bent before. I’ll doublecheck it in a bit and see if any others are. I only ever use the 1/4”
  6. S

    WIP - The English Woodworker's new backed stool

    Yeah I think it might just be the pictures/camera angle. But yeah yeah I knocked it several times with a 4 lb sledge on my vise anvil to get it a little off square. Its mainly for clearance for your plane, similar to a planing stop.
  7. S

    WIP - The English Woodworker's new backed stool

    Got the pointy bit in the tailstock, now just need to remove the excess width so the plane clears.
  8. S

    WIP - The English Woodworker's new backed stool

    Ok, only had a bit of time in the shop before the temps got up too high to work comfortably. High of 37 C. Chopped one of my allen keys in half, sharpened both ends on the grinder. Used the old drill and heat method to insert into the end of the headstock. Got the tailstock part thicknessed...
  9. S

    Am I correct that Stanley have stopped making Nr 4’s?

    Not only is it hideous. But I saw a guy on another forum try to strip off the orange paint, but the casting is really rough cast, so when he spray painted it black, it looked terrible too. I suppose one could maybe scuff the orange with a wire brush or something and paint over it. Personally...
  10. S

    Picture Frames

    Very nice! The walnut has some beautiful grain. I may try making one of these(my adult daughter likes to paint). But I may leave the gouge marks like the original vid but use the Ray Kinman technique of applying the paint but then lightly sanding to take the paint off the high parts of the...
  11. S

    Am I correct that Stanley have stopped making Nr 4’s?

    By the way, in the US, the Jorgensen planes at Lowes are actually decent for the money. I think the smoother is around $70. With a couple of hours of fettling and tuning it can be a decent smoother. The little block plane and the 60 1/2 is also decent for the price. Ugly orange but oh well
  12. S

    Am I correct that Stanley have stopped making Nr 4’s?

    I’ve only ever seen that particular Stanley at Rockler Woodworking back when Stanley brought back their 750 chisels (i think called Sweetheart Chisels), and the anniversary tape measure and some other stuff that was decent quality. But once Rockler got their own Benchdog planes (which i think...
  13. S

    Am I correct that Stanley have stopped making Nr 4’s?

    Oh Clifton stuff is great! I “could” technically mail order one from a specialty woodworking store, but not something normally in stores here and cost more than Lie Nielsen or Veritas. What i did just find looking at our local hardware store, is that there is a Stanley #4 that i can order but...
  14. S

    Am I correct that Stanley have stopped making Nr 4’s?

    I have heard from various places that the US Stanley went downhill before as well. Also, not Stanley, but I purchased both Record 151 spokeshave and Marples bluechip chisels brand new in the 1990s, all made in Sheffield and they were still great tools. But new Marples stuff is kind of crap...
  15. S

    Am I correct that Stanley have stopped making Nr 4’s?

    Good point. Think the company went downhill in the late 60s or 70s and exponentially worse as time goes buy.
Back
Top