• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

New Forum bugs/feature requests/dislikes etc

I know exactly what it was, who it was and when it was, I'm just not prepared to go into that on here.

As per previous message, give us a few days and it will be sorted. I appreciate it's not ideal right now but also it is hardly the biggest issue in the world, and we have lives as well as this so just give us a bit of time to agree a couple of other points in the background and implement the changes. Cheer.

Understood, I’ll keep shtum on the issue for now.

Please bear with us whilst we get this sorted. In the mean time I have found your erroneous post and corrected it. Bob
Thanks Bob, and sorry Mark I didn't mean to resurect it, and fully understand the circumstances. TBH I was annoyed at the missus this morning as she could have handled the dog without my assistance. :ROFLMAO:

Since the new software upgrade I've been experiencing ramdom site lockup. attached pic just happened again. I can't see any reason though there's every possibility it's my system. Doesn't seem to matter if other websites are open on not and when locked up all others are still working. If I close the website and open it up again all is normal. It isn't a real issue for me just wondered if I'm the only one.

Laptop running Windows 10 up to date.

Attachments

• TWH2 lock up.png
    TWH2 lock up.png
    179 KB · Views: 8
Since the new software upgrade I've been experiencing ramdom site lockup. attached pic just happened again. I can't see any reason though there's every possibility it's my system. Doesn't seem to matter if other websites are open on not and when locked up all others are still working. If I close the website and open it up again all is normal. It isn't a real issue for me just wondered if I'm the only one.

Laptop running Windows 10 up to date.
Is it just that tab in the browser / the browser / the whole computer?

It's just the WH2 tab Alisdair. Curser doesn't lock and I can access other tabs and sites no problem, can move the curser around on twh2 page it just doesn't respond unless I close it down and open up again.

It's just the WH2 tab Alisdair. Curser doesn't lock and I can access other tabs and sites no problem, can move the curser around on twh2 page it just doesn't respond unless I close it down and open up again.
Lons, does the page/tab respond if you do a Refresh (Ctrl+R) I've had this of late with odd pages on other sites for some reason, I'd put it down to off-site links gumming things up but WH2 is not blighted with adds etc.

That is weird and I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so am slightly uncertain...
If it happens again - could you press F12 and choose the console tab to see if there are any error messages (in red)?

Does it happen every time you do something specific?

Thanks Chas and Alasdair

I haven't seen any error messages or tried either of those but will make a note and do so.

It's completely random, no specific action that I'm aware of, just locks when I'm browsing either in the main menu page or on a thread. I haven't counted but it's happened at least half a dozen times so far. If no one els is having an issue yhen it points to my system. Clearing cookies and cache didn't make a difference.

Can I make another "feature request"? I might just be totally inept, but I can't figure out how to quote multiple posts. I could do this in phpBB (see this post for an example) and I know it's possible in XenForo as it's easy on the MIG Welding forum, but I can't figure out how to do it here.

Compare and contrast (red/orange boxes added by me) - see the right-hand side of these screenshots

here:

1713547603361.png

MIG Welding forum:

1713547651532.png

"Reply" quotes one message and starts a reply. "+ Quote" adds the messages to a list and then you can click "Insert Quotes" to quote the selected messages:

1713547800216.png

Can I make another "feature request"? I might just be totally inept, but I can't figure out how to quote multiple posts. I could do this in phpBB (see this post for an example) and I know it's possible in XenForo as it's easy on the MIG Welding forum, but I can't figure out how to do it here.

Compare and contrast (red/orange boxes added by me) - see the right-hand side of these screenshots

here:

View attachment 26052

MIG Welding forum:

View attachment 26053

"Reply" quotes one message and starts a reply. "+ Quote" adds the messages to a list and then you can click "Insert Quotes" to quote the selected messages:

View attachment 26054
happy to have a look… clearly not the default setup, but I am sure there will be some buttons I can prod!

happy to have a look… clearly not the default setup, but I am sure there will be some buttons I can prod!
And

Multiple quotes, all above done by selecting the "reply" option.
Cheers, Andy

here:

View attachment 26052

MIG Welding forum:

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054
Sorry this was supposed to be included in above post but timed out....
Is the "quote" for lifting text from other areas of the forum and inserting them on a different post?
Andy

buttons prodded ;)

reply just pastes it into the reply box and off you go…
quote adds it to a multi-item clipboard and then you can choose from that to add to the reply box, snd you can build up the quotes from all over the forum…

selecting text by dragging across it allows you to use just that text to reply, or to add to the quotes clipboard…

Nice bit of fettling.
buttons prodded ;)

reply just pastes it into the reply box and off you go…
quote adds it to a multi-item clipboard and then you can choose from that to add to the reply box, snd you can build up the quotes from all over the forum…

selecting text by dragging across it allows you to use just that text to reply, or to add to the quotes clipboard…

Could the mods team have a look at the maximum number of images in a single post please?
I always try to take plenty of photos when doing any sort of wip thread and have been repeatedly hitting the limit, which is currently set at only 10. It's now so much easier to insert photos that I would welcome a bit more elbow room. It seems clumsy to have to split posts up, just to reset the count.

Could the mods team have a look at the maximum number of images in a single post please?
I always try to take plenty of photos when doing any sort of wip thread and have been repeatedly hitting the limit, which is currently set at only 10. It's now so much easier to insert photos that I would welcome a bit more elbow room. It seems clumsy to have to split posts up, just to reset the count.
I think there is a balance in usability to be considered - too many photos in a post makes it trickier to navigate and see where there is text… will have a chat with the rest of the team to see their thoughts… :)

+1

On the MIG-welding forum it's 20, which seems to work okay

The 10 image limit doesn't apply when posting URLs hosted elsewhere, as I do using Imgur.

I think the essence of this forum are the WIPs, so I hope as much as possible can be done to make them smooth and easy to post (and edit).

Overall, I hope everyone behind-the-scenes is as delighted with how smoothly this whole transition process has gone as I am sure the rest of us are. I hope you can resolve the editing time thing and the image limit......and I'm sure we're all glad it's that sort of thing we're discussing here rather than "I can't get access" or "I've lost all my content" or "it doesn't work with Opera".

Last edited:
I would agree that the long detailed posts are the heart of the forum - however, in the same way that lots of cheese with no bread can feel out of balance in food, so lots of photos and no text can also at times feel like that - it is not always obvious to the reader the detail in the photo... There is also a difference between 10 or 20 photos inserted into the post as thumbnails, or as full images and how the page then flows... I don't think that this is quite the same as the discussion about editing as that is about functionality being curtailed whereas this is simply the balance between one post of e.g. 20 images and 2 posts of 10 images - which is more a semantic of how you add content and the flow for the reader - and both are important.

I kind of agree Alasdair but you are talking as a publisher with that type of response. It takes time for users to make and post WIPS and to get them at all it needs to be convenient and flexible to suit their preferences, as really there is nothing in it for them. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Are 10 photos with insufficient narrative any easier to read than 20?
We cannot dictate the quality of everyone’s writing skills to make threads easy to follow.

I tend to post WIPs with a couple of different approaches:

1. A post covering what I've done since the last post (for live WIPs)
2. A post covering how I made a particular component (for after-the-fact WIPs)

The number of images that works for either tends to depend on the way the narrative is flowing.

The latter is the approach I'm taking with the block plane project I'm documenting at the moment. I've already written the 10 posts that I'll be sharing over the course of the build so I thought I'd get some statistics on what I'd actually used in those posts and also in other WIPs I'd hosted on my website as well as the forum (as it's a lot easier to automatically parse stuff on my website rather than trying to count forum posts manually).

BuildMax Images/PostMean Images/Post (rounded)Mode Images/Post
Kumiko Box1287
Weighted Base Box1888
Minimal Tool Challenge1378
Bar Clamps1454
Block plane13108
Chunky Planter1565
Woodturning Lathe22119

Not sure what you can take from that (apart from the fact that I'd like the limit to be more than 10 to suit the way I write WIPs), but I thought the statistics might be interesting to others. I believe the old forum had a limit of about 21-ish from memory - I always expected it to be 20 but a few times I remember "getting away" with one or two extra.

I think the MIG-welding forum's limit is 20, but I think it also applies to externally hosted images - I seem to remember having to split the woodturning lathe posts with 22 images into two posts to publish it there.

For my current WIP, I'm hosting the photos on my website (hence being able to abuse the current 10 image limit) as I'm making the WIP available there and also on the MIG-welding forum (and I'm lazy and it's easier to post them once rather than three times). I generally prefer the idea of locally hosted photos (rather than elsewhere) - I still have loads of problems with @Mike G 's posts, often having to reload several times (and sometimes try again a few hours later) before imgur works properly, but perhaps that's just me.

Local hosting is always going to be more reliable: if you can load the text, you can load the images. Anything we can do to encourage people to post images locally rather than using imgur or whatever seems a good thing to me (and I say that as someone who's in the middle of WIP where I haven't posted them locally!)

...... I still have loads of problems with @Mike G 's posts, often having to reload several times (and sometimes try again a few hours later) before imgur works properly, but perhaps that's just me.......
It's worth finding out if it is just you. From what little has ever been said about it, I suspect it may just be you.

I just counted the photos on my Sedgwick spindle moulder restoration post out of interest, over 160!

Is there really much point to a photo limit? If somebody really wants to post more photos in their thread they will just produce more posts, in the case of my Sedgwick thread I would need to make over 16 posts. In the time it would take to produce 16 posts, someone might start posting inbetween the posts and it becomes a bit of a jumbled up mess rather than one continous post on the subject matter with all the discussion at the end of it, rather than the subject matter with discussion wedged inbetween and at the end of the final post.

I am detail-oriented, I like to see lots of photos of a process and I suspect others are the same. As a matter of fact, I would bet that the majority of people are more likely to just look at the pictures in a thread than read any of the blocks of texts that accompany them.

It doesn't affect me as I use Imgur like Mike, but I can see it being a pain for others, even my "Famine Chair" thread which was quite a small project had 40 photos.

I don't have any preference, as I like to organize my project threads into bite-sized multiple posts with about ten images per post. Each post documents one or more aspects of the project, but I don't like loading the entire project in one post. It won't matter to me if the image limit is 100 per post, I'll still break my threads into manageable chunks.

One thing to consider with the current page display set at 20 posts and ten locally hosted images per post, it would be possible to have one displayed page contain 200 images that must be downloaded. For those on slow networks, this could cause significant delays in viewing a thread while all of the images load.

Now that the "Draft Build Project Threads" forum is available, it is easy to create multi-post threads without interruption.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention the problems created when someone quotes a long thread-heavy post to say "Nice" or ask a question. This creates more delays as the images in the quoted section and downloaded.

Last edited:
I just counted the photos on my Sedgwick spindle moulder restoration post out of interest, over 160!

Is there really much point to a photo limit? If somebody really wants to post more photos in their thread they will just produce more posts, in the case of my Sedgwick thread I would need to make over 16 posts. In the time it would take to produce 16 posts, someone might start posting inbetween the posts and it becomes a bit of a jumbled up mess rather than one continous post on the subject matter with all the discussion at the end of it, rather than the subject matter with discussion wedged inbetween and at the end of the final post.

I am detail-oriented, I like to see lots of photos of a process and I suspect others are the same. As a matter of fact, I would bet that the majority of people are more likely to just look at the pictures in a thread than read any of the blocks of texts that accompany them.

It doesn't affect me as I use Imgur like Mike, but I can see it being a pain for others, even my "Famine Chair" thread which was quite a small project had 40 photos.
I disagree.

Although I don't post may photos at a time, I do go out of my way to try and articulate what I have been doing in the image to help anyone else who might want to engage in the same activity, as well as to inform those members who show an interest in my builds.

I kind of agree Alasdair but you are talking as a publisher with that type of response. It takes time for users to make and post WIPS and to get them at all it needs to be convenient and flexible to suit their preferences, as really there is nothing in it for them. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

No - that isn't my approach - I am conscious that there are a number of different views on the forum and am trying to work out the best route through to keep all happy!

One thing to consider with the current page display set at 20 posts and ten locally hosted images per post, it would be possible to have one displayed page contain 200 images that must be downloaded. For those on slow networks, this could cause significant delays in viewing a thread while all of the images load.

this above and below is a part of my concern... not everyone can always access the forum on super fast broadband...

Edit to add: I forgot to mention the problems created when someone quotes a long thread-heavy post to say "Nice" or ask a question. This creates more delays as the images in the quoted section and downloaded.

I am quite neutral on the subject... but setting up a forum / running one doesn't mean jumping on every suggestion, but instead finding how to help all... I do have super fast broadband, so don't really mind for me :)

No - that isn't my approach - I am conscious that there are a number of different views on the forum and am trying to work out the best route through to keep all happy!

this above and below is a part of my concern... not everyone can always access the forum on super fast broadband...

I am quite neutral on the subject... but setting up a forum / running one doesn't mean jumping on every suggestion, but instead finding how to help all... I do have super fast broadband, so don't really mind for me :)
This suggests you are now running the forum now Alasdair, rather than Mark. This is not a criticism, just an observation that the different approach is noticeable and more typical of a multi forum operator. With so few really active contributors to popular big threads, it is interesting that the approach now is a little dismissive of their views. The route that kept all happy was not limiting photo posting and not limiting edit time to a quite daft 10 minutes (IMO, others may have a different view) in case some unidentified naughty person in the future starts deleting lots of really crucial stuff that is ever so valuable. This is the kind of thing that people monetising forums worry about. Can we go back to the old ethos please, but with this lovey new software?

This suggests you are now running the forum now Alasdair, rather than Mark. This is not a criticism, just an observation that the different approach is noticeable and more typical of a multi forum operator. With so few really active contributors to popular big threads, it is interesting that the approach now is a little dismissive of their views. The route that kept all happy was not limiting photo posting and not limiting edit time to a quite daft 10 minutes (IMO, others may have a different view) in case some unidentified naughty person in the future starts deleting lots of really crucial stuff that is ever so valuable. This is the kind of thing that people monetising forums worry about. Can we go back to the old ethos please, but with this lovey new software?
Thanks Adrian - that is not the case and an exact confirmation of that is that I don't arbitrarily make decisions without it going through Mark - hence why I have not just responded by changing the settings!

At no point has anyone been dismissive of any views, there has been a lot of listening while at the same time looking to understand how very different software works for this specific set of people (rather than assuming generic needs) - there is a lot of discussion behind the scenes aiming at getting it right for everyone - not just those who shout loudest in the open - there are also other views which are communicated, they need to be considered.

Once that discussion has taken place and Mark is happy with how he wants the forum to run for all, then I am sure a decision will be made... There have already been a number of such processes in the short time (less than 3 weeks) on this software - there is no change in ethos - there is though a change in how the software works and that is what is being sorted.

I’ve learned a lot from the WIP’s etc on this forum and am grateful to those who do them. My experience of doing them is far less than some others on here but I’m struggling to see the problems arising from the new set up.

If an old post needs to be edited presumably a moderator will step in and help? I get that there may have been no instances of members going back and deleting things on here but to my mind it’s reasonable to mitigate the risk as opposed to shutting the door after the horse has bolted. I do see on an accumulating thread that being able to change the header is useful … but again, why not just ask a mod to step in?

Having a photograph limit per post just means the need to make more than one post. Given the upload of photographs is much easier on the new set up I think it’s a fair trade off.

My view may not be shared by others and it may be I’m overlooking something. Please don’t be offended if you are one of those who regularly does WIP’s etc (I must have missed Adrian’s ;)) if you have a different view.

Above all else it’s great that we’ve just had a major software upgrade at no cost to us as users and the willingness of those working on this in the background to engage has been exemplary. In my view there has been no change at all in ethos in the running of the forum.

I know I’m not very good with theses things but could someone please advise how to find Mike G's stickie on how to build a workshop? I can find lots of references to it but there the search ends. I imagined it would be in resources or at the top of the workshop build section.
A good friend has asked for advice on this and I imagined it would be dead easy to find lol.
Ian

I know I’m not very good with theses things but could someone please advise how to find Mike G's stickie on how to build a workshop? I can find lots of references to it but there the search ends. I imagined it would be in resources or at the top of the workshop build section.
A good friend has asked for advice on this and I imagined it would be dead easy to find lol.
Ian
Here you go Ian …

Here you go Ian …
Thank you!
I have now made it sticky in that forum (I don't think the conversion brought over which threads were sticky - so any others that need to go back to being sticky - just report them with that request to the team and someone will make them sticky!

...... Can we go back to the old ethos please, but with this lovey new software?
I've scratched my head over this Adrian, trying to work out what you are seeing that I'm not. I've failed, I'm afraid. I see a successful conversion to a new software, that everyone seems very happy with, and a couple of minor matters arising from the different sets of controls. These minor matters are being considered, it seems, and there has been a very gentle discussion in public of what people would like to see, and what the downsides of any of the available choices would be. I haven't seen anyone, mods or members, taking any hard-and-fast position.......just a few quiet "well it would be my preference ......."

I know the mods will be balancing the views of the current membership with the long-term health of the forum, and coming to a sensible compromise. I'm content with that.

-

To the guys with their fingers on the buttons: is it possible for you to remove the delete button from posts? And, what happens to deleted posts? Are they stored somewhere in a way in which they could be restored? Somewhere in there, surely, lies the key to allowing us a long editing time, doesn't it?

Different perspectives. That's all.

Is there a delete button as such? I thought that all deletions were done by editing a post where erroneous text is removed and replaced with what the poster intended. You can't edit without being able to delete.

1714033795999.png

Right next to "edit".

The difference is that "delete" removes the entire post, including the box it is in. If there wasn't a delete button you'd have to open the post in edit mode and remove the entire contents, which would leave a blank post in place. It would be a much slower process than deletion. Delete works with 2 clicks of the mouse.

Last edited:
I think that the mods team need to strike a sensible balance. If users can't easily edit or delete a post made in haste or in error, they will be left with having to ask a mod to do it. We don't expect a 24/7 response, so that brings delay as well as making avoidable work for the mods.

There isn't any logic in removing delete if people can edit posts - those who would otherwise delete just edit and leave blank posts...
Ultimately, no user has the ability to do more than a soft delete anyway as the system logs changes...

edited for clarity - on a previous topic...
It might help though if one or two members actually check what the system allows before complaining about it ;)

1714039402528.png

Last edited:
Ultimately, no user has the ability to do more than a soft delete anyway as the system logs changes...

Isn't that the end of the perceived/ potential problem, then? Leave everyone a long editing time, and if someone stomps off in a huff and deletes their posts, you just wait a while and restore them all.

Back