• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Recent content by Dr.Al

  1. Dr.Al

    Picture Frames

    I very seriously wondered about it but decided against it in the end. Even if I had done it, I would have only done it on one of the three I think. When I made the sycamore / walnut drawer box recently I went with a gouged finish and I was really pleased with how it came out. However, to do...
  2. Dr.Al

    Seven Heirlooms - You'll never guess……!

    I wish I had some good advice to help you deal with the issue Malc. I will, however, echo Andy's comment: you've done a great job and should be really proud of it, so very well done. 🍾 Maybe your next project could be seven more instruments sized to fit in the "spare" cases you now have ;) 🤣
  3. Dr.Al

    A roof in Sweden

    It really is by our standards. However, we've got a friend who lives in Oulu in Finland & she regularly does a 3 hour round trip drive to a supermarket just over the border into Sweden - it's worth the long drive as Sweden is a lot cheaper than Finland.
  4. Dr.Al

    WIP - The English Woodworker's new backed stool

    +1 to that. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Bondhus colour-coded set - they're excellent quality & once you get used to the colour scheme it's incredibly useful to be able to grab the right size really quickly because (for example) you know the 4mm one is red.
  5. Dr.Al

    Clear Coloured Finish Recommendations

    Too late :ROFLMAO:
  6. Dr.Al

    Picture Frames

    My other half's birthday is coming up in a few weeks. She's a keen artist and I thought I'd have a go at making something for her birthday. I'm fairly sure she doesn't check this forum so it should be safe to post this! The idea for this was shamelessly plagiarised from inspired by this GR...
  7. Dr.Al

    What I have fixed today

    There was a clue in there somewhere...
  8. Dr.Al

    Clear Coloured Finish Recommendations

    I've given it a try on an off-cut over the last couple of days and I'm happy with the finish so thanks again for the recommendation. I was absolutely gobsmacked by how much it raised the grain after the first coat. I had a lovely smooth bit of Sycamore, I applied the finish and then came back...
  9. Dr.Al

    Making Liquid Hide Glue

    I've found similar to be true with hot hide glue. From my point of view the downside of the hot stuff is that you have to work quite quickly. Making (room-temperature) liquid hide glue seems to be much more fussy - hence all my experimentation.
  10. Dr.Al

    Making Liquid Hide Glue

    That's interesting to know. I've yet to have to take apart a joint made with either of the protein glue types but it's nice to know that fish glue works. I'll probably stick with something like Titebond 3 for outdoor stuff so hopefully won't have to worry about humidity in fish glue applications.
  11. Dr.Al

    WIP - The English Woodworker's new backed stool

    Me too and I've got to go into London mid-November. Once a year is more than enough for my liking so I think I'll give the "festival" a miss.
  12. Dr.Al

    Making Liquid Hide Glue

    Results That recipe was the one that I did on something like my tenth attempt (having followed all of the recipes I listed in the "Sources from the Web" section with little success. Cooling down quickly definitely seems to make a difference: one of my earlier attempts was exactly the same as...
  13. Dr.Al

    Making Liquid Hide Glue

    My Recipe Summary Mix by Weight (as it's much more repeatable than mixing by volume) Using 280 g Bloom Strength (Hosco brand) Hide Glue Granules 3:2:1 Cold Water:Glue:Salt Soak water & glue for two hours, add salt and heat for two hours, cool quickly, heat for two hours, cool quickly. Detailed...
  14. Dr.Al

    Making Liquid Hide Glue

    Sources from the Web I did quite a bit of research to try to find out about liquid hide glues. The two readily available (in the UK at least) commercial options are Old Brown Glue and Titebond Liquid Hide Glue. Liquid Fish Glue is also available but as I understand it the method of making that...
  15. Dr.Al

    Making Liquid Hide Glue

    Introduction (jump straight to recipe) I recently did some investigation into Old Glues and how well they stick. In that context, I mean old in the sense of "bought a long time ago and probably past its shelf life" rather than old-fashioned. For me, the ideal general-purpose glue: Is strong...
Back
Top