• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Recent content by GaryR

  1. G

    A Japanese style garden shed

    Floor joists back in place. They are relatively small in section compared with western framing (60 x 48 mm) and placed on 200mm centers. The longest span is only about 900 mm. Instead of blocking they rest in cogged lapped joints on the sleepers and pocket mortices on the end floor beams. I've...
  2. G

    A roof in Sweden

    Are the timbers spruce? I'm mostly uninformed about wood in Scandinavia.
  3. G

    A Japanese style garden shed

    I did, yes, along with the ceremony scattering salt and rice at and pouring a little sake at the base of each post. Have to keep the spirits happy.
  4. G

    A Japanese style garden shed

    Five and half hours, crew of 8, perfect weather, frame is up. Still much fiddling to go with the foundation stones to get them set properly but the shed frame is stable and level. https://photos.app.goo.gl/iVgchQSTdEzL98ej8
  5. G

    A Japanese style garden shed

    I did not know the terms koya and okigoya, so thanks. There is also structure called a kura, 土蔵造 which is a storehouse but with thick walls and few or no windows, and meant to be fireproof.
  6. G

    A Japanese style garden shed

    In this view, it s the right most one. And yes, downhill is much better.
  7. G

    A Japanese style garden shed

    Catching up here. I got the holes for piers augered out a couple of weeks ago and poured footers. Then it rained a bunch and all the holes filled with water a couple of inches deep. Took them awhile to drain. The last five days I've set the concrete forms with their tops at the same relative...
  8. G

    Hardest part of hand planing for me is planing edge square to face. Tips?

    I taught a beginning woodworking class once and started with stock prep with hand tools just like this. I thought maybe the students would find it boring but it was just the opposite. Most had never used a hand plane or square before and it was a revelation that they could make a board flat by hand.
  9. G

    A primer on shellac

    https://shellac.net/blogs/the-hollow/how-to-read-a-bag-of-shellac
  10. G

    Coyote

    Showed up this morning for a breakfast of persimmons.
  11. G

    Wellington & Manawatu Railway.

    I'm looking forward to this very much.
  12. G

    Persimmon

    OK, I found some persimmon soap. And had a good chuckle. Rob, are you trying to tell me something...?
  13. G

    Persimmon

    You may have a different species? Or a variety selected for smaller size or larger fruit? I've never heard of persimmon soap! I'll have to look around for some.
  14. G

    Persimmon

    We are fortunate to have a large native persimmon tree in our back yard. Diospyros virginiana. It is the double trunked tree on the right, standing in front of a black walnut. Persimmon is in the same genus as ebony and the only ebony native to North America. Quite a few leaves are down...
  15. G

    Joint Practice

    I often recommend Chris Hall's TAJCD monographs, especially Vol III for a compendium of joints, and vol II and the box mitre joint supplement for step by step joinery. (BTW, all proceeds go to his widow).
Back
Top