• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Any users of the Musclechuck out there?

Eric the Viking

Sapling
Reaction score
In the downstairs shower, trying to fix the leak.
I have just got one for my Trend T11 - the extended-height version so I can change cutters from above the table.

I have only played with it a bit (no actual cuts as yet), and I like it so far, but there's one place, fairly low on the speed range, where it seems to resonate a bit. The rest of the range it doesn't add any vibration at all that I can feel, even with a large and heavy cutter fitted, nor at the T11's highest speed (with a teeny-tiny cutter fitted!).

I was expecting this resonance, and it doesn't feel too bad. That said, doing the 'adjustment' process to see if I can improve it will be something of a faff (there's a silly reason, but access under the table is now a right pain, hence buying the Musclechuck in the first place).

So I'm keen to hear other people's experiences with it...

E.

PS: @Adrian: the speed control on T11's is a known issue. The magnet that causes pulses for the circuit can work loose, and either slide out of the range of the Hall effect sensor (detects magnetic pulses), or just slip. Either way the router runs faster than it should, usually flat out or erratically. This is more likely to happen in a router table, as there's room for the magnet to slip towards the end cap of the router. It's an easy fix - superglue or proper Loctite will hold it in the right place on the shaft. I did mine about 10 years ago and it's still fine - your tale of T11 woe on the other thread reminded me.

Last edited:
I dont have the make as yours but my Xtreme Xtension purchased years ago in the states seems to be perfectly balanced and no sign of resonance and perfect grip. It is easy to make adaptors for other sizes too. I have made 4 and 8mm sleeves for it

D87A466B-B5E7-443C-B1CF-72EAC1A6592B.png

Thanks Bob.

The reason I went for the Musclechuck was that it replaces the whole collet assembly, rather than fitting into the normal 1/2" collet. It has a matching taper to the shaft, and a nut that mimics that of the usual collet. Like yours, there's an imperial Allen-headed machine screw that clamps it up. I have the 1/4" reducer for it, which is a beautiful thing and fits extremely snugly, and runs with no extra vibration.

I might have made a poor choice, but the idea was that I continued to only have one actual collet in the system, rather than two. I think also that the musclechuck (Model 2E, where E stands for 'extended') doesn't 'extend' quite as much as yours does. It's plenty though.

On reflection, I don't think the vibration period is going to be a nuisance - it's very slight (detected through holding the back end of the router as I alter the speed setting), and it might even be an artefact of the motor speed control (mine is a bit lumpy).

I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks again. E.

Back