• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Dening & Co, Chard, Somerset

Trevanion

Old Oak
Joined
Apr 27, 2019
Messages
2,608
Reaction score
485
Location
Pembrokeshire
I recently acquired this catalogue from a very obscure woodworking manufacturer based in Chard, Somerset. Looking online, Dening & Co were founded in 1828 and were more known for their agricultural implements rather than their woodworking machinery, which I think is evidenced by the fact there are so few surviving examples of their machinery to be found, with only a selection of circular saws and one bandsaw existing in picture form online. There are some quite interesting-looking machines in the catalogue, the circular saw and bandsaw combination machine in particular looks like it would be very handy.

5cGQz3F.png

ucTi4tJ.png

TIYeXgp.png

svMPUiN.png

FD7BSjP.png

bS8ut60.png

za39V9g.png

mF5HfVK.png

GAQtLjl.png

QETQveR.png

eh5wPi4.png
 
Chard has quite a surprising amount of industrial history, including experimental steam powered flight.

There's a pamphlet about Dening's from the local industrial archaeology society that might be worth risking £4.50 of your book fund on - scroll down on this page to no 6:

http://www.sias.me.uk/publications.html
 
I remember seeing a Dening machine mounted on the back of a trailer at the Guildford County Show several years ago. I took several photos that I will try to find. It was a very large circular saw, with no guards whatsoever, and was being demonstrated cutting large tree trunks into planks using a roller conveyer at each end.
 
Pre-war machinery is so much prettier than modern ones in regard to the aesthetic but they do look dodgy as **** to use safely though :D
 
I had one of their huge circ saw benches......
the wife made me put a gaurd on before using it.....for some reason....lol.......
the blade was the imp equiv of 750mm........
Man could that thing slice up oak ......
I converted it to be driven by a 50hp tractor.......
happy days.....lol.......
 
Yes, the one at the agri show was driven by a steam traction engine if my memory serves me correctly. Scary tool, but the guys operating it were never near the sharp end.
 
When i started my apprenticeship in the mid 80s we had one of those solid chisel mortice machines, hated using it in the winter as that part of the workshop had not heating and your hand would stick to the cast iron handle.
 
AJB Temple":izgp66w7 said:
I remember seeing a Dening machine mounted on the back of a trailer at the Guildford County Show several years ago. I took several photos that I will try to find. It was a very large circular saw, with no guards whatsoever, and was being demonstrated cutting large tree trunks into planks using a roller conveyer at each end.

I wonder if it was this one, spotted at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2015?

portable_steam_bandsaw.png
 
Back
Top