Trevanion
Old Oak
So following on from Craig Salisbury's thread the other day about wanting a new router to replace his Dewalt 625E, he sent me the Dewalt 625E to have a look at.
The router has been kept immaculately and is almost like new having obviously done very little work in its life. It's a 2018 Type 7 model so it's not that old.

From Craig's footage it was obvious that the end of the armature was bent so I got to task getting it out, I must say that the Dewalt (and I would assume the Trend T10 and T11 also) is an absolute pig to get the armature out of, the machine has to be completely dismantled to its base components. I would recommend a drink to smooth over the experience a bit.

Once I had the armature out I chucked it up in the lathe and got it running true to the bearing surface near the collet end, then I checked it with the dial on the inside of the taper (you might want to watch it on youtube as it looks rather small here).
[youtubessl]K2RcaEGqiPU[/youtubessl]
So from the bearing surface to the collet taper it is out 25 thousands of an inch which is about 0.6mm in metric. I doubt that it is possible to straighten it without a decent setup for such work.
Once I took it out of the chuck I noticed this on the armature:

Well, obviously it's not supposed to look like that, I'm not sure how that could've possibly happened in a totally enclosed machine unless it was a manufacturing defect from new. The field doesn't seem to have any obvious marks from a collision but there is a slight blackish mark where it was run:

Now, I know the machine does run fine as I've run it myself before taking it apart, I don't believe there's been any serious damage anywhere, but I'm not sure how that could've happened to the armature internally. Since I barely know what I'm doing I kind of want a second opinion before buying a new armature whether it's actually worth doing or if the field is toast and it's not worth the effort.
As a side note, if it is worth doing I think I'll change the bearings while it's apart as these seem to be a common failure item on both the Dewalt and Trend routers, interestingly they use an Italian SKF 6005 C3 bearing on the routing end but I do wonder if it's a lower quality SKF bearing as it's not like others I've used already shedding its grease though the top seal which I would guess has happened because of its use in a router table, although it does have a high-speed phenolic cage inside.


They use a cheap unbranded Chinese 608 bearing on the top end of the armature.


I think swapping them for decent NSK DDU bearings or non-contact SKFs would be a good idea.
The router has been kept immaculately and is almost like new having obviously done very little work in its life. It's a 2018 Type 7 model so it's not that old.

From Craig's footage it was obvious that the end of the armature was bent so I got to task getting it out, I must say that the Dewalt (and I would assume the Trend T10 and T11 also) is an absolute pig to get the armature out of, the machine has to be completely dismantled to its base components. I would recommend a drink to smooth over the experience a bit.

Once I had the armature out I chucked it up in the lathe and got it running true to the bearing surface near the collet end, then I checked it with the dial on the inside of the taper (you might want to watch it on youtube as it looks rather small here).
[youtubessl]K2RcaEGqiPU[/youtubessl]
So from the bearing surface to the collet taper it is out 25 thousands of an inch which is about 0.6mm in metric. I doubt that it is possible to straighten it without a decent setup for such work.
Once I took it out of the chuck I noticed this on the armature:

Well, obviously it's not supposed to look like that, I'm not sure how that could've possibly happened in a totally enclosed machine unless it was a manufacturing defect from new. The field doesn't seem to have any obvious marks from a collision but there is a slight blackish mark where it was run:

Now, I know the machine does run fine as I've run it myself before taking it apart, I don't believe there's been any serious damage anywhere, but I'm not sure how that could've happened to the armature internally. Since I barely know what I'm doing I kind of want a second opinion before buying a new armature whether it's actually worth doing or if the field is toast and it's not worth the effort.
As a side note, if it is worth doing I think I'll change the bearings while it's apart as these seem to be a common failure item on both the Dewalt and Trend routers, interestingly they use an Italian SKF 6005 C3 bearing on the routing end but I do wonder if it's a lower quality SKF bearing as it's not like others I've used already shedding its grease though the top seal which I would guess has happened because of its use in a router table, although it does have a high-speed phenolic cage inside.


They use a cheap unbranded Chinese 608 bearing on the top end of the armature.


I think swapping them for decent NSK DDU bearings or non-contact SKFs would be a good idea.