• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

DeWalt 745 site saw extraction

woodstalker

Nordic Pine
Joined
Apr 16, 2016
Messages
629
Reaction score
33
Location
Amesbury, Wiltshire
Anyone got a good suggestion of the best way to rig the dust extraction for my Dewalt 745 Site Saw?

The saw has a 65mm main dust port and a 40mm port on the blade guard.

I have a 40mm shop vac/mini cyclone setup and also a 100mm chip extractor.

I can jury rig either of my vacs up to the 65mm port but i would like too extract from the bladeguard too.

Is it better to use the shop vac or chip extractor to extract the saw?

I am struggling to get the correct adaptors and fittings; anyone got a good place to get them from?

Cheers in advance

Woodstalker
 
SCMS tend to have a reputation for poor dust collection even some of the upmarket ones like the Kapex

Most of the successful home brew ones seem to create a box behind the saw and have HVLP extraction from the box. Many do either compromise the tilting capacity of the saw or have a removeable panel to allow full tilting.
I think if you look back, Pinch made one and posted a video about it here on TWH2.
I must admit that I've though about making one for my non-slider but just let the sawdust pile up behind the saw and vacuum it up now and then.

Making adaptors between different pipes size is dead easy and I posted the method only a short time back.

Bob
 
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply, its a site saw/ portable table saw with a blade guard on the riving knife rather than an SCMS. So main 65mm port underneath and a 40mm port on the blade guard.

Woodstalker
 
I have a 745.
My dust extraction system is 100 mm trunking to the fixed machines, but I have one spur with 75 mm flexible hose that I use to clean up the floor and surfaces with. I connect that to the rear port of the 745 and its very efficient.

I cant get a system to the overhead guard though because my saw is on a wheeled trolley that I move around a lot depending how big the object to be cut is.

I have found that keeping the blade as low as possible, only one tooth above the wood greatly reduces the dust thrown around, and just accept that I will have to clean the floor after use.
 
woodstalker":2th9iksn said:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply, its a site saw/ portable table saw with a blade guard on the riving knife rather than an SCMS. So main 65mm port underneath and a 40mm port on the blade guard.

Woodstalker

Drat! do you mean I have to read the question?? :lol:

Years ago I spent sometime balancing the extraction port on my tablesaw. What do I mean? I made the area of all the holes that allowed air into the base of the saw and table, equal to the area of the extraction port. This mainly meant fitting bristle draft excluder around the arc shaped gap for the blade height adjuster.
I found this really improved the extraction and virtually all the sawdust is removed from the blade gullets before they re-emerge above the table.

Bob
 
The 745 blade is in a very confined cast alloy semi circular box sitting inside a tube frame to save on weight. Only 23 kgs total.
Its not like a land based table saw that has space all over the place. I cant even get my fingers in past the blade its so confining.
The only way I could balance in and out air on mine would be to cut holes all over the blade protecting plate.
 
Thanks both, so i can hook my 100m extraction up to the main port with a reducer but i want to find a y-piece so i can hook a 40mm branch up to the blade guard. I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Maybe a 100mm y piece with a 65mm reducer to the main port and a 40mm reducer to the blade guard?

I use a 100mm flexi hose to connect to each machine so if anyone can suggest a quick release coupling to speed the process up i would be grateful...
 
Another way of reducing dust is to make some zero clearance insert plates.
One for vertical, and a couple for common angles. This also greatly improves the cut quality on the wood.
 
TrimTheKing":tn675dgy said:
woodstalker":tn675dgy said:
I use a 100mm flexi hose to connect to each machine so if anyone can suggest a quick release coupling to speed the process up i would be grateful...

This the kind of thing you’re looking for...

https://www.axminstertools.com/quic...4oCE1L09DsbnQIgGsMW-OtJA5LIOoc-BoCwYIQAvD_BwE

Mark I’m so sorry for some reason I did not see your reply to this until I was browsing just now. Thanks for the link but I was looking for a sort of make to female connector. The clips in the link would work but if the hose is a relative tight fit on the machine it would be still a bit too fiddly.
 
Just an update on this. I made an adaptor out of MDF from the main 65mm dust port to my 100mm extractor pipe:

9C503693-9D47-49BE-AF1A-5E37FED8BB3C.jpeg

Then used a straight connector to create a push fit quick release coupling.

0F4C6962-EEC4-401B-B712-1E9C0C9EE453.jpeg

I now have a small section of 100mm pipe on each of my machines so that the flexible hose can connect a disconnect easily.
 
Back
Top