• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

DW625 collet change

RogerS

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
15,616
Reaction score
1,324
Location
Somerset
Such a long, long time since I needed to do this....do you change collet sizes by swapping the nut and collet as a complete sub-assembly or do you remove the collet from the nut and replace with the one you need ?

If the latter then how do you get the collet out, please ?

My Googling has failed me on this one.

TIA
 
The collets on mine just push out of the nut with my fingers but that’s probably because mine is worn, a small screw driver between the nut & the collet will pop it out with care.


Chris tribe has an alternative method
https://youtu.be/A7RRN2PT_Ds
 
I pull the collet out with my teeth, a bit like a grenade pin. I even chuck the collet nut across the room for good measure and shout "Fire in the hole". Sometimes it takes a while to find the collet nut afterward :eusa-think:





What I really do is grip the collet nut in the finger and thumb of one hand, the collet in the other, and then bend them both like you're cracking open a peanut and it pops out quite easily. Chris Tribe's method that Doug linked is a good idea though, that way you're compressing the collet with the timber and it should just pop off with barely any effort.

I wonder if Mr. Tribe is enjoying his retirement.
 
Trevanion":36glsr3o said:
I pull the collet out with my teeth, a bit like a grenade pin. I even chuck the collet nut across the room for good measure and shout "Fire in the hole". Sometimes it takes a while to find the collet nut afterward :eusa-think:





What I really do is grip the collet nut in the finger and thumb of one hand, the collet in the other, and then bend them both like you're cracking open a peanut and it pops out quite easily. Chris Tribe's method that Doug linked is a good idea though, that way you're compressing the collet with the timber and it should just pop off with barely any effort.

I wonder if Mr. Tribe is enjoying his retirement.

When I read your post my initial thoughts were "Wot...with my thumbs?" ...but it snicked out so easily. :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
 
Back
Top