• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

First BBQ in Spring.

Sausages, lamb chops, kebabs, fillet steak, chopped onions........Where are they? :D

We discussed firing Green Eggy up yesterday. But.....although it is warm in the afternoon, it's not yet warm enough to sit outside to eat in the evening.

Mike - if he put chopped on his BBQ they would fall through the grill. Schoolboy error old chap. Probably Carruthers cooks yours in the kitchen and then delivers them to the table ready caramelised.

I did suggest to Mrs AJBT half an hour ago that we might BBQ tonight. For slow smoked whole chicken. She exercised the oft used wife veto on the basis of forecast rain again :confused:

We don't do Bar-b-Q's and it's nowhere near warm enough in the evening to fire up the Ooni pizza oven - Rob

You beat me to it, I am going to one at my daughters this afternoon Typing this sitting outside in the sunshine with a t-shirt on. Forecast cloudy for this afternoon though.

We discussed firing Green Eggy up yesterday. But.....although it is warm in the afternoon, it's not yet warm enough to sit outside to eat in the evening.

Mike - if he put chopped on his BBQ they would fall through the grill. Schoolboy error old chap. Probably Carruthers cooks yours in the kitchen and then delivers them to the table ready caramelised.

I did suggest to Mrs AJBT half an hour ago that we might BBQ tonight. For slow smoked whole chicken. She exercised the oft used wife veto on the basis of forecast rain again :confused:
Luckily for us I open the garage doors and start cooking, rain or shine even during the winter .

A burger for one seems a little sad in isolation but for the man who has a pickup, a car and a loader life is probably pretty good!
Isolation is OK. Neighbours and friends will honk their horns when driving by. Life is good, even better when I retire.

This was from 6 April. I didn't take a photo of the steak and sweet potato on the grill, but here they are plated up and ready to eat. This is the healthy heart meal consisting of a 4cm thick dry aged ribeye steak, sweet potato with butter, and sauteed mushrooms. The steak was seared on the outside by the very hot coals and nearly raw in the middle. Yummy.

Ribeye.jpg

Looks great. I do have an outdoor kitchen (oak frame with a roof on, but no walls) so can shelter, but I'm a wuss and the rain puts me off. It has a Green Egg in it for charcoal and a gas Weber Summit (must be 15 years old) that will also burn wood chips for smoking. I do use the green egg year round, but for me true BBQ is also eating outdoors. So it needs to be warm, dry and not windy!

Looks great. I do have an outdoor kitchen (oak frame with a roof on, but no walls) so can shelter, but I'm a wuss and the rain puts me off. It has a Green Egg in it for charcoal and a gas Weber Summit (must be 15 years old) that will also burn wood chips for smoking. I do use the green egg year round, but for me true BBQ is also eating outdoors. So it needs to be warm, dry and not windy!
Post a pic,I would like to see it.

Sausages, lamb chops, kebabs, fillet steak, chopped onions........Where are they? :D
When we have a gathering. Family from UK are visiting for a week in June , I will step up the fare for them. Maybe the black flies will be gone by then if not will be eating inside.

Post a pic,I would like to see it.
Here you go. It is a bit of a tip at the moment as I sit there in the evening sharpening chainsaws and all the tools my wife has knackered....plus re-potting and pruning a lot of baby trees aka bonsai that will be sold a the next garden opening when everything is a lot tidier. I did do a WIP of this job about 3 years ago but Mrs AJBT exercised her veto.
Kitchen.jpegoutdoor kitchen in a mess.jpeg
The white stone & resin fish has been glued with CT1 having had a storm accident and dived off it's plinth, but normally lives in a yew hedge simulating a river in my head :unsure:

The oak ceiling joinery caused tears getting it up (so to speak), as I made it on the ground and it was much heavier than I expected but my wife is a total star and helped me lift it in place with four placement rafters pre-pegged. Mike G has seen it close up and is therefore aware that one corner is miles off from being accurate and has some packing pieces in filling a good 1/2" gap. Deeply embarrassing. :whistle: He was quite nice about it.
Kitchen roof .jpeg
Can't remember the size I made it but I would guess 6 yards by 4 yards from oak we already had. Cedar shingle roof which is very tedious indeed to make. Wish I had used the oak slats I cut, not the felt my roofer fitted: I am afraid of heights :oops:. If I was doing it again I would make it 50% bigger so the 30+ years old teak circular table (bigger than it looks in the snap) would fit easily inside along with all my outdoor junk & the 2 zinc topped work tables.
old teak table.jpeg

Eggy table (the big green thing) is cobbled together using some unknown redwood that I found in my store. It could do with a jet wash. The BGE is brilliant and I can easily cook for 25 people on it (rarely) but is also fine for 2 or 3.

Eggy.jpeg
The other BBQ is an ancient Weber Summit running off bottled gas that will also smoke from a side woodchip chamber. Must be 15 years old since we bought it about 3 houses ago and it is functionally as good as new really despite enduring a major storm disaster when a tree fell on it.
Webby.jpeg

Sorry - it's all a bit of a mess, but it has been chucking it down all day and I've not tidied up.

Last edited:
Here you go. It is a bit of a tip at the moment as I sit there in the evening sharpening chainsaws and all the tools my wife has knackered....plus re-potting and pruning a lot of baby trees aka bonsai that will be sold a the next garden opening when everything is a lot tidier. I did do a WIP of this job about 3 years ago but Mrs AJBT exercised her veto.
View attachment 26472View attachment 26473
The white stone & resin fish has been glued with CT1 having had a storm accident and dived off it's plinth, but normally lives in a yew hedge simulating a river in my head :unsure:

The oak ceiling joinery caused tears getting it up (so to speak), as I made it on the ground and it was much heavier than I expected but my wife is a total star and helped me lift it in place with four placement rafters pre-pegged. Mike G has seen it close up and is therefore aware that one corner is miles off from being accurate and has some packing pieces in filling a good 1/2" gap. Deeply embarrassing. :whistle: He was quite nice about it.
View attachment 26475
Can't remember the size I made it but I would guess 6 yards by 4 yards from oak we already had. Cedar shingle roof which is very tedious indeed to make. Wish I had used the oak slats I cut, not the felt my roofer fitted: I am afraid of heights :oops:. If I was doing it again I would make it 50% bigger so the 30+ years old teak circular table (bigger than it looks in the snap) would fit easily inside along with all my outdoor junk & the 2 zinc topped work tables.
View attachment 26474

Eggy table (the big green thing) is cobbled together using some unknown redwood that I found in my store. It could do with a jet wash. The BGE is brilliant and I can easily cook for 25 people on it (rarely) but is also fine for 2 or 3.

View attachment 26476
The other BBQ is an ancient Weber Summit running off bottled gas that will also smoke from a side woodchip chamber. Must be 15 years old since we bought it about 3 houses ago and it is functionally as good as new really despite enduring a major storm disaster when a tree fell on it.
View attachment 26478

Sorry - it's all a bit of a mess, but it has been chucking it down all day and I've not tidied up.
Mess is always a given. Nice work, you do have a lot on the go. What is the age of your bonsai? Great looking garden. What is the blue flowering plant/perennial/shrub in the right background of the last photo? The red jap maple is something I can't grow in our hardiness zone. But four hours south no problem.

All of the Bonsai in the pics are quite young. The pine in the pot on the table was bought as a small shrub from a nursery as a small cheap plant 3 years ago and was clipped straight away and heavily fed. It looks much older than it is. The cultivated moss helps. Blue flowering plant is a Ceonothus. I keep it smallish by pruning it with hedge shears.

We grow a lot of acers here of various types. We start all of them in pots and some go in the ground. They do very well on clay soil. Our main issue with small ones is preventing wind scorch.

Duke, you said it’s 28 here today, that’s either quite warm for Ontario or below freezing! In which case full marks for firing up the Barbie.
Ian
It was 28 above, very warm day, started at 10 above around 7 am . Dropped to 10 above overnight. Last two days around 18 above.

Just looked it up, I was assuming Canada used Fahrenheit the same as the us. So beautiful weather where you are, and I was thinking what a hard but you were cooking outside in the snow and ice lol.
Ian

Just looked it up, I was assuming Canada used Fahrenheit the same as the us. So beautiful weather where you are, and I was thinking what a hard but you were cooking outside in the snow and ice lol.
Ian
We are officially metric but use imperial measurements for say building homes , small structures etc. Due to plywood being sized at 4' x 8' as well as other sheet goods as in the USA. So layout is on 16" or 24" centres. But the the thickness is in metric, 19mm for 3/4". A little off topic !

Last edited:
Well at least you know what you’re getting ply and sheet goods here can be eithe 4’ x 8’ or 1200 x 2400, but always measured in miles for thickness, it makes planning a stud wall a bit of a game sometimes.

Haven’t had as many as I’d have liked so far this year. I bbq all year round and quite enjoy it when it’s cold and you have the fire cooking away. Beer stays cold too.

Had some cracking venison over the Christmas period, slow smoked shoulders and charcoal grilled loin were good eating.

Will have to make it to the butcher or fishmonger tomorrow and get something for the weekend.

Haven’t had as many as I’d have liked so far this year. I bbq all year round and quite enjoy it when it’s cold and you have the fire cooking away. Beer stays cold too.

Had some cracking venison over the Christmas period, slow smoked shoulders and charcoal grilled loin were good eating.

Will have to make it to the butcher or fishmonger tomorrow and get something for the weekend.
What kind of fish, my favourite is Salmon? Don't ask me which Salmon.

Back