• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

How can I clean a drill chuck

AndyP

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
14,387
Reaction score
1,945
Location
14860 Normandy, France
This is the drill chuck that I only use on the woodturning lathe. Lately it has become very stiff. Can it be taken apart to clean? If so how? I have some very fine sewing machine oil for lubrication but thought it best to get the dust out first, if possible.

Make is Golden Goose.

94583231-2F6E-4CEF-B614-FCD5B4731223.jpeg
 
Andyp":1gyzcty4 said:
This is the drill chuck that I only use on the woodturning lathe. Lately it has become very stiff. Can it be taken apart to clean? If so how? I have some very fine sewing machine oil for lubrication but thought it best to get the dust out first, if possible.

Make is Golden Goose.

They're a bit of a pain to pull apart and you ideally need a press to do it. I'd personally just stand it up on end in a vice, drip some of the sewing machine oil down between the jaws and the chuck body, and a bit around the revolving sleeve on the outside and let it work its way in, run it open and closed a few times with the chuck key and you'll be good.
 
Thanks Dan,
I did try blowing the dust out and got a face full for my trouble. I don't have a compressor to blast it with and my stock of fresh air aerosols* have long since gone..

I’ll do as suggested and hope there is not too much dust left in there to clog up.


*note to self to see if such things can still be found.
 
One of the very few times I would recommend WD40 for a woodworking related job.
Spray liberally into every crook and nanny (sp) 8-) repeatedly over a couple of days. Let it drip dry, then use real sewing machine oil to lubricate.
 
What he said.
Best use of wd40 there is (after cocktails). Ive got something in the garage i cant remember the name of but it sprays and wets like wd40 but drys to leave molypendium disulfide behind. Would be perfect for after you've rinsed it out.
 
If it’s got wood dust trapped in it then personally I wouldn’t put any liquids in it.
[youtubessl]wJocYNkwUYU[/youtubessl]
 
Thanks for the vid. I gave it a go with a lump of 4x2 but no joy. I used a bicycle pump to get some more dust out and soaked with WD40. Just need to find the sewing machine oil that I know I have somewhere
 
for jobs like that buy some Brake n Clutch cleaner.....works a bit like Carbon Tet....
(it will dry on it's own) it'll sofen any hard lube left inside and flush everything out...
So a liberal squirt and then work the chuck by hand, keep doing this until clear liquid drips out....
then use ur desired lubricant....
I use this stuff all the time for different jobs but I also use an airline to speed things up....
It's available everywhere, Halfords, car acc shops etc and about a £5 per spray can...

It is made especially to clean brake parts from oil and brake dust.....
 
Wot others have said about WD40, douse liberally and leave. I wouldn’t though use sewing machine oil but instead go for a dry lube PTFE spray. Oil of any sort will attract more dust to gum up the works whereas a PTFE spray lube won’t. I use the Ax stuff from time to time on my Evolution chuck on the lathe; works a treat - Rob
 
Andyp":14jagqno said:
Thanks for the vid. I gave it a go with a lump of 4x2 but no joy. I used a bicycle pump to get some more dust out and soaked with WD40. Just need to find the sewing machine oil that I know I have somewhere

Apparently the correct lubricant is grease, applied during reassembly. As you’ve washed out the old grease with WD40 it could become stiff again fairly soon if you’re unlucky.

If anyone else is planning on doing this for a Chuck used in a drill press then get someone else to turn it on for the first time. ;)
 
Not found the singer oil yet. I have found some ptfe spay lube for bicycle chains. I guess that would do?
 
RogerS":24m0l0al said:
Andyp":24m0l0al said:
....

*note to self to see if such things can still be found.

They do. eBay. Air dusters.

Thanks Roger, thats the stuff. I "acquired" a small box full before I left my old job. The IT engineers used to use it.
 
Andyp":3aqyv6f8 said:
Not found the singer oil yet. I have found some ptfe spay lube for bicycle chains. I guess that would do?
Should be OK Andy, it’s pretty much all the same stuff - Rob
 
Back
Top