• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

It's that man again!

9fingers

Staff member
Reaction score
Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New F
Nice little Video from the House of Maskery

[youtubessl]iqePdfNsmpk[/youtubessl]

I'm sure there is a gadget similar to square of Thales to set as a transfer gauge for this problem but the paper trick is excellent.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Bob.

It was really just an excercise. I've not done any filming since last summer and it's even longer since I did any editing. I've forgotten such a lot. I couldn't remember how to set up my camera. I couldn't remember what parameters I used to use for the format. Lots to relearn.

Plus, I've changed the way I record sound. Before, I had a radio mic and the receiver fed into a mixer. Another ambient mic also fed into the mixer which then went into the camera. So two different sound tracks and the video ended up on the SD card, just one file.

But that was very cumbersome, especially at the camera end. And the radio transmitter was prone to interference if I walked past any large lumps of cast iron. I used to spend ages trying to clean up the audio.

But I have now ditched the mixer and the radio mic and am recording to an SD card in my pocket. The camera still records the ambient sound with its built in mic. It's much tidier at the recording end and there is no interference. But it means that I have two different files to mix in the editing phase, it's more work there, so I'm going to have to find a way of doing it efficiently and reliably, without losing stuff. But it also means it is much easier to balance the voice track against the ambient sound track. We'll see how it pans out. As I said, lots to learn.

Somewhere, there are two SD cards with my dining chair project on. I was rushing to get the chairs finished before I lost the sight in my left eye completely. I just managed it.
I then had an op and my sight is restored really well. But along the way I have moved house and I definitely remember putting those two SD cards in a safe place so that they would not get lost. Now if anyone can tell me where that safe place was, I shall be eternally grateful, it's the best part of a year's work and I have no idea where they are. Why didn't I just leave them in the cameras?

Good tip that!

Your SD cards are in your jewellery box.

Presumably you now have a new workshop, having moved? Is it still "the armpit" as you previously described it? Great news re the eye.

I'm now the local Squire. Very rural, beautiful place. And best of all, NO ICE CREAM VANS.
I have several barns, some in better shape than others. Lots of space, but the main barn has really lousy lighting and some have no lighting or electricity at all. Holes in the roof. It can all be made great, given time and money. But I don't have the energy I once had and I'm wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew.
The grass is growing and there is a lot of it.
There have also been some serious issues with some fairly fundamental functions of the house itself. New boiler, fire and toilet, all in the first few weeks, expenditure I had not planned for. Plus my car has also had issues. It's in the garage at this very moment having some bodywork done. I scraped it down the side wall of my house the very last time I took it out back in Kirkby. And a new clutch. I have just haemorrhaged money.

But it is just beautiful here, more tractors pass the house than cars. And we have lots of birds. I love it, with all its challenges.

Good luck in the new house Steve. Tractors mean mud but that is a nice problem. I'd love to have an ice cream van come around here but that will never happen.
Hope you get a workshop sorted soon.

Andyp":2sit0lme said:
Good luck in the new house Steve. Tractors mean mud but that is a nice problem. I'd love to have an ice cream van come around here but that will never happen.

Ice cream vans in Steve’s previous location sold other things besides what was advertised, they had other best selling “lines”, apparently ;)

Lurker":tg6u5e4u said:
Andyp":tg6u5e4u said:

Ice cream vans in Steve’s previous location sold other things besides what was advertised, they had other best selling “lines”, apparently ;)

Ah sorry in my naivety I was imagining the Mr Softee of my yoof.

We had ice cream vans, plural, all day every day. I woke up with Teddy Bears' Picnic in my head. It was incessant and actually it affected my mental health. I agree that it is a first-world problem, but for hours and hours every day it is exhausting listening to it.
And these vans are not the tinkle-tinkle of our childhood, they are loud, insistent and designed to attract attention. I could hear them indoors withthe doors and windows closed.
There are laws about vending chimes. None before noon or after (IIRC) 7pm. No more than 12 seconds. No closer than 500m. And more. But they just ignore them. One day last year I was outside at 7.50am with my coffee and one was starting already. The council are sympathetic but don't have the resources to do anything about it. I complained on Facebook and received threats for my trouble. "We know where you live". Seriously.
It may sound funny, but it's not, not when it is at that level.

Hi Steve, please don’t get your hopes up too much as this is the first time I have used my rods to detect something that is missing/lost. The results seem to show that the discs are in a box or drawer in the wardrobe in your bedroom. I know it’s ridiculous how could I possibly know that, but then how could I know all the other things that I have detected? " It’s a mystery "
Unusually it’s the second time I have used my rods today, I was helping a friend detect a leak on the watermain from the meter to his house – quite consistent results, we shall only know when he starts digging.
Ian

Back