• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Listen to what your machinery is telling you!

9fingers

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
10,414
Reaction score
165
Location
Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New F
I've always advocated maintenance on the basis of need rather than routine PROVIDED that you take notice of the clues that the machine/car/whatever is trying to tell you.

Yesterday when I was swapping a blade in my table saw for a fine kerf one I could hear a slight rubbing noise when turning the blade by hand.

A bit of investigation showed that a screw clipping a cable out of harms way had dropped out and to cable was rubbing on one of the drive belts when the depth of cut was at particular settings. I found the screw in the bottom of the sawdust bay. Fortunately easy repair to the insulation and the screw replaced with a starlock washer this time and all is now well.

A bit of trivial maintenance saved a breakdown mid job.

So my tip is get used to your machinery, know what it should sound like and investigate noises immediately to save tears later.

Bob
 
I cant agrue with that. My problem is not using machinery that often and trying, therefore, to remember what was it sounding like when I bought it or last used it.
 
My CNC gets heavy daily use .. the brushes are the one you notice 1st.
I also have radio ear defenters, and I can hear the crackle when the brushed start to wear , well before the router note changes !
If the brushed fail , the motor stops .. the CNC keeps moving ! .. not good :shock:
 
Tusses":375iouki said:
My CNC gets heavy daily use .. the brushes are the one you notice 1st.
I also have radio ear defenters, and I can hear the crackle when the brushed start to wear , well before the router note changes !
If the brushed fail , the motor stops .. the CNC keeps moving ! .. not good :shock:

I suggest that you wire in a motor current monitor to only enable the Stepper drives when the current is over a certain value. Override for manual traverse.

The big metal CNCs we had at work used to measure the power consumption and compare it with the the task in hand.
Once the spindle power consumed went above a threshold, the machine would go and select a replacement cutter and deposit the old one in the queue for re-grinding.

Bob
 
9fingers":1wa06les said:
Tusses":1wa06les said:
My CNC gets heavy daily use .. the brushes are the one you notice 1st.
I also have radio ear defenters, and I can hear the crackle when the brushed start to wear , well before the router note changes !
If the brushed fail , the motor stops .. the CNC keeps moving ! .. not good :shock:

I suggest that you wire in a motor current monitor to only enable the Stepper drives when the current is over a certain value. Override for manual traverse.

The big metal CNCs we had at work used to measure the power consumption and compare it with the the task in hand.
Once the spindle power consumed went above a threshold, the machine would go and select a replacement cutter and deposit the old one in the queue for re-grinding.

Bob

Interesting Bob .. I'll put that in my memory banks !
My latest spindle .. Kress , has some weird brushes with a spring loaded cutout when they hit a certain wear point :evil: DAMHIKT :twisted: .. they just stop dead ! apparently to protect the motor.
Only one of the 2 brushes have this, so since I found out, I order the non cutout ones.
 
My bandsaw is telling me it's knackered. I can't give it any time off for recovery. If it doesn't pull its socks up, it'll find itself out on its ear and its place taken by a shiny nearly-new 16" jobbie. It can't say it hasn't been warned........
 
Awful to see this trait in you Mike! I'm minded to involve the NSPCM :lol:

A bandsaw is a delightfully easy machine to look after with only a few standard parts - eg bearings that might need replacing and it will play sweet music to you

When I bought mine, it was previously owned by a mechanical heathen and I kept it at work to start with and used to spend lunch-times working on it and it is now a joy to use.

Bob
 
First job I did when I bought it was to change all the bearings. I changed the blade today, adjusted all of the guides etc, and set the fence to the natural cutting line of the blade.......which then bound up in the first piece of wood I tried to cut, grinding the machine to a halt. I'll try spraying belt non-slip tomorrow, and tiffling up the surface of the rubber tyres. I'll retension the belts, again. I've done all this stuff in the last couple of weeks. Never again will I have a bandsaw which relies on the folded metal bodywork for its strength. The next one will have a chassis.
 
Back
Top