• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Machining a Handrail Up-Easing on a spindle moulder!

meccarroll

Sapling
Reaction score
Video: making a handrail Up-Easing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBEBpei-uA

Hi all, I have a personal interest in learning about the Tangent Handrailing system and while negotiating
Utube to see what videos are posted on the subject I came across a video for machining Handrail Up-Easings. It would be interesting to hear what people on here think about the process?

For anyone that has not come across the term "Tangent Handrailing" it's basically about using geometry (Tangents) to help set out the twisted and curved handrail sections used in geometrical stairs.

meccarroll":1dy72xr2 said:
It would be interesting to hear what people on here think about the process?

It's more difficult than it may seem, because you're running a curved face moulding across the cutter it has a tendency to take more off than it should, it's not only cutting at the apex of the cut but also at each end where it enters and exits the cut. Because of this you either need a really small cutterblock or ideally a slotted spindle/French head to minimise the effect, or profile the cutters to account for it but the geometry there is very complex.

Not something that i’d ever even attempt. He seems to have an aversion to turning the spindle off ( or the way its been edited). The final cuts at the end with no guard made cringe just watching it.

Interesting thanks, not as frightening as I was expecting! But still, probably not something I’m likely to be doing, but it does explain why most moulders up for sale here don’t have fences and guards, just the tool sticking up from the table.
Ian

RogerS":78yn80qs said:
Thanks for posting that, Mark. I'm with Artiglio re the lack of guards.

As you know, Mark, I have a 'soft' spot for tangent handrailing :eusa-whistle: and still bear the scars. :evil:

If any new members are interested, you'll find all the pain and angst here

http://thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... it=tangent

Yes I do remember Rodger it was a bit tubulent at times but you did eventually managed to conquer a subject that most fear to even contenplate attempting.

Finding the right bevels is hard enough but moulding is yet another aspect of the process I have not yet ventured into hence the post.

Attachments

• RODGER STEPS.jpg
    RODGER STEPS.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 330
Trevanion":2p88dwku said:
meccarroll":2p88dwku said:
It would be interesting to hear what people on here think about the process?

It's more difficult than it may seem, because you're running a curved face moulding across the cutter it has a tendency to take more off than it should, it's not only cutting at the apex of the cut but also at each end where it enters and exits the cut. Because of this you either need a really small cutterblock or ideally a slotted spindle/French head to minimise the effect, or profile the cutters to account for it but the geometry there is very complex.

It sounds like you may have done something similar. It is now illegal to use the French Head in the UK if you are running a business employing people. I have one on one of my spindle moulders which I have used in the past for raised panels work but it has not been used for a long time now.

You may find this video interesting it's about the French Head Spindle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDXhbvf3ElQ

Artiglio":20pmawa6 said:
Not something that i’d ever even attempt. He seems to have an aversion to turning the spindle off ( or the way its been edited). The final cuts at the end with no guard made cringe just watching it.

Yes I agree that unprotected spindle looks like it is waiting for one false move to take a chunk out of a human hand! Ouch!!!

Cabinetman":2fdnjo66 said:
Interesting thanks, not as frightening as I was expecting! But still, probably not something I’m likely to be doing, but it does explain why most moulders up for sale here don’t have fences and guards, just the tool sticking up from the table.
Ian

I thought it was interesting to see how the mould could be put on an "Up-Turn Handrail Section" and the first part was informative the second part would need a lot more protection and improvement but still worth looking at for starters.

Is he not asking for trouble taking the initial cuts freehand, surely better to use a series of over sized bearings and have a more positive control over the router. Or have i missed something ? Obviously works for him, but he demonstrated on a nice flat piece of handrail , a curved section from the rise is i’d guess not as easy to work around.

Artiglio":244g5y4a said:
Is he not asking for trouble taking the initial cuts freehand, surely better to use a series of over sized bearings and have a more positive control over the router. Or have i missed something ? Obviously works for him, but he demonstrated on a nice flat piece of handrail , a curved section from the rise is i’d guess not as easy to work around.

On the top it looks like he just rounds over on the edges leaving a flat on the top to machine from. If you watch closely he does make more than one cut when putting the bottom mould on with bead.

You can buy change out bearings of different sizes to guide the router bits just use an allen key to remove and replace.

I just put the video link up because it shows another method of putting a mould on a handrail.

I’ve seen these sort of things turned at the lathe then cut into sections, I’d certainly prefer that method than those in the first video

Doug":3mpaijq8 said:
I’ve seen these sort of things turned at the lathe then cut into sections, I’d certainly prefer that method than those in the first video

I don't know how you wolud set a fourth axis up Doug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eH9-l6tZiI but I am at least looking into a fourth axis for my CNC router (I may be in a box first!).

for this process to work with wreathed handrails you need at least four axis:

1. Axis to turn the mill around
2. Axis to travel the length of the wreath
3. Axis to move sid to side over the wreath
4. Axis to move up or down over the wreath

And it all needs to be drawn in a CAD programme first and then transfared to a Cam programme for the toolpaths. I wish I had been given a better brain!

Yep, thanks, cnc has got to be the way forward , be interesting to see how much more widespread it is in 10 years.

Back