• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Malcolm's Garden Workshop (The Side Doors)

Andyp":2wca7bq8 said:
So when can we expect Maclolm’s Garden Worshop II, the Extension. ;)

:D 'Fraid not. I'll have to be little more economical with storage in the workshop. And I hate throwing offcuts away, but they take up a lot of room.

Hi Malcolm

Trust all is ok with you and the workshop?

I have a question about the lighting in your shed. You have 4 LED panels - are these the LEDLites which TLC sell? If so, how have they been for reliability since you've installed them?

And a final question, did you put any lighting under the rafters or does the LED light up the entire shop,

Cheers

Pete

Peteh":b3p8jtqd said:
Hi Malcolm

Trust all is ok with you and the workshop?

I have a question about the lighting in your shed. You have 4 LED panels - are these the LEDLites which TLC sell? If so, how have they been for reliability since you've installed them?

And a final question, did you put any lighting under the rafters or does the LED light up the entire shop,

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

I have similar panels to Malc, in fact I think they might be the same ones just from a different supplier. I have 7 in my workshop and other than a driver dying the other day (which I’ve since replaced at under £9) they have been fine for about 3 years since they went in.

I have four along the vaulted ridge and 3 under the mezzanine ceiling in the hand tools area and they are fantastic.

They give a great amount of light and my only thought so far is a might move the ones in the hand tool area out to the edge of the room and add one more so I don’t get any shadows when working over a bench. Other than that I’m delighted with them.

Hope that helps.

Hi Pete,

Hope it's going well.

I initially put in 4 x 40w 600x600mm panels, but the two ends of the 'shop were not covered, so I got another 2 and placed one each over each end.

I can't remember the manufacturer, but the supplier was Denman's, on the business park near screwfix in Tiverton. They let me have a cash account while I was building the workshop.

I've had one driver go bang, which Denman's replaced under warrantee. And I've had another stop working until the temperature inside the 'shop drops to around zero, then it comes back on again. I warm up the 'shop, and it goes off again.

I suppose for less than £20 each, it's not surprising that some of the components in the drivers are not up to the job, as Bob 9F said in one of my threads about the panels.

At last, I made and fitted a pair of permanent asymmetric doors to the side (or end) of the workshop, made from Devon Larch grown not 10 miles away. They're secured with concealed bolts on the inside. I only use them for moving machines into the 'shop or machining longer pieces of timber, so no need to open them from the outside.

This is the SW facing side, facing the prevailing weather, good and bad, so I am going to paint these same colour as the cladding. All end grain has been soaked in wood preserver.

The long term permanent doors are awaiting recycling.

I now have a pair of CMT 1/2" shank TGV router cutters for sale if anyone's interested.

537AF777-5AFC-438B-BEA0-8D3AEFB4AB01.jpeg

Hey Malc, just had another read of your project , nice, particularly the covered deck tying into your entrance. I can see myself having a beer, scotch or whisky at the end of the days work.

Hey Malc, just had another read of your project , nice, particularly the covered deck tying into your entrance. I can see myself having a beer, scotch or whisky at the end of the days work.
Thanks, Duke. I intended to build it to have smoke in between work in the 'shop, because I didn't want to smoke inside. But I gave up smoking before I built it and now use it as a nice place to relax and enjoy the views.

Back