• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Matabo bandsaws - any users?

Peri

Sapling
Joined
Dec 29, 2020
Messages
396
Reaction score
44
Location
Shropshire
Name
Steve.
I had a Metabo sliding mitre saw and thought the quality was pretty good.

I'm looking to upgrade my bandsaw to something a little bigger. I've got a tiny shop, so it cant be anything industrial.

The Bas318 Precision looks interesting, at 170mm doc its almost double my current capacity, but it doesn't look too much bigger overall.

A lot of my timber is salvaged/reclaimed, so it'll be used exclusively for re-sawing.

11-01-21 18-09-00.jpg
 
I don't know anything about the machine I'm afraid mate but what's the depth of cut if you're planning on resawing? Doesn't look that deep, then again I don't know what sort of depths you normally use...
 
My current saw only does 90mm.

I bought it to try some 'curvy cutting', I found I never actually used it for that, all I've done with it is cut 90mm wide veneers from blocks of wood (eg my desk build - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5179), or cut (say) 1" strips off 6"x3" to make 1"x3" for frames.

I get given (and salvage) a lot of hardwood stuff like doors and frames. I generally only make small projects, so I'm not expecting to resaw 10" boards, in general 4" or 5" would be the max.

All of the timber here is reclaimed. Old desks, and 5 1960's fire doors in this pic! The strips arrowed at the top are actually milled from the (still painted) door stiles arrowed below.

shed.jpg

For my modest needs, 170mm is probably more than enough. Going for more would be both expensive, and I'd struggle to find space to put a bigger machine. I was more wondering if Metabo machines are well made, or if anyone else had had one.
 
Never had one of their bandsaws but all the Metabo gear I have bought and used is top notch....

Not bought anything new for a while but I did by one of their 110v corded pistol drills for site job....
by comparison it was at least 50% heavier than the other Japanese makes I normally buy.....
but I think thats a good thing......
by the way over the years it's worked very hard and is still going....it's the first drill I had with a keyless chuck and very happy with it still......

Perhaps look for reveiws on other forums and or faceache.....
perhaps try google....
Wood turners use bandsaws a lot, is there a club nearby where u could ask......

Shame, in the old days u could go to the dealer and try one out, then take it home.....
 
Thanks Clogs,

That mirrors what I've found with Metabo stuff - the sliding mitre saw was a hefty bit of kit, seemed well made and accurate. When I found out how much they were, I was actually shocked it was so cheap. (I got mine when the college was going to skip one because someone had broken the safety guard).

That band saw is going for around £450, which is about my limit.
 
I have a Metabo band saw, not one of their current models, but similar to the ones you are looking at - around 25cm resaw. It's been brilliant, had it for around 15yrs, used almost every day, changed the belt once, but apart from that nothing done to it.

The poor thing gets abused a bit too, I sometimes rough cut big boards on it, 45mm oak with cuts up to 3m long, cuts it fine, but sometimes I feel I'm pushing it for stability - the board weighs more than the saw.

Absolutely essential to have a good shop vac with it, dust builds up inside at an alarming rate otherwise.

I have several other Metabo power tools, very pleased with all of them.
 
Peri":23lu17xd said:
Thanks Clogs,

That mirrors what I've found with Metabo stuff - the sliding mitre saw was a hefty bit of kit, seemed well made and accurate. When I found out how much they were, I was actually shocked it was so cheap. (I got mine when the college was going to skip one because someone had broken the safety guard).

That band saw is going for around £450, which is about my limit.


I saw one in my nearest tool shop last week. looked a hell of a lot better made than the einhall and holzman saws next to it.

You know what s going for in my area? 960 euros :shock: Snap it up. :lol: 8-)
 
Back
Top