• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Multico K3 chisel mortiser - lifting/removal of wooden stand

tracerman

Sapling
Joined
Sep 12, 2014
Messages
350
Reaction score
2
Location
southampton , hampshire, UK
Yes I still have my old Multico/Kine K3 chisel mortiser which no bugger seemed to want , therefore I am considering mounting it in a recess in my bench to save floor space . Even assuming I can it off the wooden stand , there is the question of stability . Does anybody know whether it could sit in the bench without being secured , or would it have a tendency to pitch forward ? , there is a metal bracket securing the rear to the wood .
Guidance appreciated .
Steve
 
First let me say I’ve never seen one of these, but if this is it in the pic I can’t see why not and it seems like a good idea to sink it in the bench to rest the wood on to work on. This one appears to have a metal base, but either way the machine was put on the base so it should come off again. Suck it and see I suppose.
Ian

725417BA-F3A0-45C2-9B8C-6778368FA68D.png
 
I would say it would have a tendency to come forward unless firmly bolted down, it's an amazing amount of force exerted upon the wood by the chisel and all of it is from that lever on the side. I was morticing some particularly hard door stiles the other day with my Sedgwick morticer and that was beginning to topple forward on occasion, and that was only with a 1/2" chisel!
 
Trevanion":3erijoxz said:
I would say it would have a tendency to come forward unless firmly bolted down, it's an amazing amount of force exerted upon the wood by the chisel and all of it is from that lever on the side. I was morticing some particularly hard door stiles the other day with my Sedgwick morticer and that was beginning to topple forward on occasion, and that was only with a 1/2" chisel!

Yes I’m sure you’re right, my beast is WW1 period and you’d need a tank to move it lol, I have even added a long tube to the already long handle for 1” mortices- not enough muscle in my old-ish arms so haven’t noticed that movement.
 
Thanks for those comments . Trevanion , I saw your participation in Toolsntat,s post ( on the other side ) in June 2020 about removing his wooden stand . There's no getting away from the fact that it's dodgy . If (IF) I go ahead with this my plan will be to remove the sliding table and the motor to save weight , then get it onto it's back on th floor to separate the stand . Whether we ( thats Her Indoors and a neighbour and me shouting instructions from da safe distance ) can then lift it onto the bench without a hoist would remain to be seen . At any rate we could look back on the exercise and discuss in hospital . More later .

Alternatively perhaps as I shant use it much at all , somebody could offer to take it away ............
Steve
 
Trevanion , yes I shall try to remove the counterweight while it's still vertical , then lay it down on it's back with the lever tied up . That looks reasonably simple he said - famous last words .
Steve
 
Back
Top