• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Planer Thicknessers (not phones lol)

9fingers":3qtz5518 said:
Ok fair enough if you have considered well used kit but you know you are in a community of people who can help out if you did have the odd problem.

Bob

Yes, Bob, we need to help him come over to the dark side...

Darth Kirk
 
kirkpoore1":2q1oahuo said:
9fingers":2q1oahuo said:
Ok fair enough if you have considered well used kit but you know you are in a community of people who can help out if you did have the odd problem.

Bob

Yes, Bob, we need to help him come over to the dark side...

Darth Kirk


Sssh Kirk! Don't scare him off until we have lured him into the dark! :text-lol:

Bob
 
9fingers":2shpv9m5 said:
kirkpoore1":2shpv9m5 said:
9fingers":2shpv9m5 said:
Ok fair enough if you have considered well used kit but you know you are in a community of people who can help out if you did have the odd problem.

Bob

Yes, Bob, we need to help him come over to the dark side...

Darth Kirk


Sssh Kirk! Don't scare him off until we have lured him into the dark! :text-lol:

Bob

Bob

Let me know when you have dumped the nice modern Jet planer for a huge lump of green painted English cast iron and I'll be right behind you :lol: .

Terry.
 
Since when did we have to follow our own advice Terry? :lol:

I've a mix of equipment ages from relatively recent purchase new - table saw like yours, bought new but in the 70s & 80s, Myford lathe, Myford knee mill, Chinese pillar drill to machines that are possibly older than I am, Startrite bandsaw and Pollard pillar drill from the late 40s. The Kity spindle is n'th hand possible 70's
The Jet planer is becoming an honorary member of the old CI club as it is both well made and no longer available. I bought that secondhand about 8 years ago as a rare find - not many get sold as they are so good.

I'm see less and less current new machinery that I feel attracted to own.

Bob
 
9fingers":3fite8zr said:
I'm see less and less current new machinery that I feel attracted to own.

Which is why I was disappointed with the change over mechanism on the Axminster machine, I had hoped that as they were bringing out a new version backed by their excellent service that it could well be the one for me.

All joking aside, as much as my mechanical ineptitude the size of the older kit is an issue. I have been requested by SWMBO to sort out storage under the stairs. It will need to involve a pull out unit and a bog standard shelf until with a sloped top section. The later is far from huge, but I was still in the workshop yesterday thinking, hmmmm, so where am I going to glue this up then? Now The workshop is currently in a bit of a mess and is more cluttered than it should be and can be tidied up, but adding a PT any bigger than it needs to be is not going to help.

Terry.
 
Just to complete this old thread, I finally pushed the button on a Startrite SD31 today.

Startrite confirmed previously that their 'Show Prices' would be the same as at the D&M Show from October until March 1st this year. They had a show today at John Davis Woodturning, though not quite the same scale as the D&M show (an awful lot closer to me than the show at Yandles in two weeks time). So I ordered the SD31 for £1460 including wheels, digital read out and delivery, which is almost exactly £300 less than buying it off their website, so I was very pleased I had hung on to the flyer from the D&M show. Should be delivered next Friday.

Terry.

PS Never been to John Davis before as I am not a wood turner, but he is a thoroughly nice chap, as indeed was Peter from Record Power who was there today.
 
Lovely looking Machine Terry.

I am planning on my first substantial purchase being a lathe - just considering my options currently. :D
 
Dan0741":7ss55abr said:
Lovely looking Machine Terry.

I am planning on my first substantial purchase being a lathe - just considering my options currently. :D

Sure there are a number of people on here who will be able to help you decide how to spend your hard earned :lol: .

Terry.
 
I'm on the side of the old stuff. I bought this a few years ago, changed a bearing made it look pretty and never had to fix anything on it and its done some graft as well. It dates from about 1930 and is a pleasure to use.

 
The Startrite looks a good machine Terry.
I've only just read this thread but re your opening post, the most useful thing on my A3 41D is the metric dial gauge that allows me to set accurately the thickness I want, if I want more stock of the same size latter I can just redial the size in, it really is a great feature.
I believe you can retro fit digital thickness gauges, Bob 9fingers knows more about these than me but they really are a worthwhile addition.
 
Back
Top