• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Router Bits

Woodster

Old Oak
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
1
Location
Dorset
Is 6mm the new 1/4”? When I bought my first ELU router about 40 years ago it came with a standard 1/4” collet and most bits were either 1/4” or 1/2”. Just recently I’ve been collecting some bits for some small projects and they all have 6mm shafts. This isn't a problem as I bought a palm router a couple of years back and it not only came with a couple of different size collets but I bought a couple of others as well.
Is there any particular reason for the change? I’m assuming 1/4” are still plentiful from some suppliers.
 
Woodster":3b5yrpp8 said:
Is 6mm the new 1/4”? When I bought my first ELU router about 40 years ago it came with a standard 1/4” collet and most bits were either 1/4” or 1/2”. Just recently I’ve been collecting some bits for some small projects and they all have 6mm shafts. This isn't a problem as I bought a palm router a couple of years back and it not only came with a couple of different size collets but I bought a couple of others as well.
Is there any particular reason for the change? I’m assuming 1/4” are still plentiful from some suppliers.

I haven't seen 6 mm ones anywhere (although it's a common size for die grinders). My smaller router came with 1/4" and 8 mm collets.
 
Phil Pascoe":g3tc4h04 said:
I've not seen a single 6mm bit.

Here you go. Mostly bought on eBay or Amazon but the one at top right was bought from one of the DIY stores.
 
Don't think so, just depends on what market the bit was made for - US or EU as to whether the router comes with a metric or imperial collet and what the supplier stocks
 
It’s quite strange. I bought one of the router bits pictured from my local B&Q, Screwfix, or Wickes about two years ago but they no longer list them online? The Katsu router I also bought a couple of years back came with 1/4” and 3/8” collets. It is now available with 6, 8 and 10mm collets, albeit with an EU plug! Mine came with 1/4” and 3/8” but I bought a set of 6mm and 8mm ones for it. I’ve also seen mention of 12mm shank bits.
08AA5D6B-0676-4A65-9119-25BA7EDE5EC9.jpeg
 
Have you recalibrated your vernier lately?
maybe its a measuring error?
6 mm is 0.236 inch
A 6 mm shaft will easily slide up and down in a 1/4" collet, way to loose to be safe, it might not even tighten.
I havent seen 6 mm bits.
I have 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 8 mm, all with their own collets.
 
I've a few 6mm bits from my last router which was an aldi special.

My latest bosch blue has both 6mm and 1/4.

It's probably just a different market thing.

I had to really hunt in the UK for 6mm when it was my only opiton.
 
I believe Germany uses 6 mm, and also 12 mm. trust the germans to make their own rules up. :eusa-hand:
 
Silverline sell a set of 12mm shaft bits, Dictum in Germany seem to sell 8mm almost exclusively and Bosch sell this set in three different shaft sizes! :)

C7B7F9E0-E015-40D0-99EB-66BC458709A0.jpeg


sunnybob":ys783qy5 said:
Have you recalibrated your vernier lately?
maybe its a measuring error?


A vernier? You must be joking, I use a micrometer for measuring small stuff like this. ;)
 
Back
Top