• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Scheppach Basato 4

Mike G

Petrified Pine
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
12,663
Reaction score
3,403
Location
Suffolk
Name
Mike
Does anyone have any first hand experience of this machine? And does anyone know if it is 14" or 16"?
 
I have a Basato 3 which has 300mm wheels, so I would assume the Basato 4 has 400mm wheels. I think Steve Maskery also has the Basato 5 so he might have an opinion too.

I rate it quite highly, it's a surprisingly rugged little machine and it's done a fair amount of work, the only thing I've done was replacing the bearings in the wheels as they had gone loud after however many years of existence (it was secondhand to me) and I replaced the thrust bearings on the bearing guides with proper ball bearings as the old ones which were just disks had become grooved with the previous owner somehow, I also replaced the door latches as they had broken with the previous owner and it had been secured shut with baler twine. It's definitely a machine made to a price but it's good enough!
 
Thanks for that. I was hoping it would be 16".......
 
Not the 4, no, but I have the 5 and, apart from the size, I'm pretty sure the design is the same, so if there is anything else you'd like to know, just shout.
 
Approx. 15"


MODEL Basato 4
Wheel Diameter (Ø) (mm) 380
Throat Capacity (mm) 375
Height Capacity (mm) 250
Table Size (mm) 548 x 400
Frame Type Steel
Motor Power (kW / hp) 1.5 / 2
Voltage / Amperage (V / amp) 240 / 10
Blade Code (Suits) W856A, W856B
Blade Size (L x W x T) (mm) 2895 x 12 x 0.65
Floor Space (W x D x H) (mm) ~
Shipping Dimensions (L x W x H) (mm) ~
Nett Weight (kg) 108
Powered by TCPDF (www.tcpdf.org)
Page 3 of 3 Specifications & Prices are subject to change without notification - 2021-07-0
 
Thanks Chas. I looked and looked.......

Much appreciated chaps. Sounds like it might be OK for me.
 
Sounds like you are thinking of buying. I'll tell you my experiences.

I bought new when they first came out. Just before they had to be braked. The knobs leave a lot to be desired and they changed them after I bought mine. Much better now.

Fairly standard design, adjustments are straightforward enough.

Great capacity, plenty of beef, even for re-sawing. It is built like a tank. Pity it didn't have a light on it, mine does now.

There is nothing to keep the table aligned either side of the blade access slot. Mine now has a noticeable difference in height and I don't think there is much I can do about it. If yours is still level, I suggest you drill a hole in between the two halves and insert an alignment pin. Too late for me.

DX is as rubbish as it is on any other BS. So you need to watch my video. My fix really does work.

I can't remember what year it was made, somewhere betweeen 20 and 30 years ago, I think. It's only recently that it has ever let me down, when the tilt casting failed. Now fixed and good for another 20 years, I guess.

Bottom line, it's an excellent saw, I've never regretted buying it.

Next to bottom line - if I'd known as much about bandsaws when I bought it as I do now, I'd have bought a second-hand Startrite and upgraded the ridiculously awful blade guide system.

Good luck.
 
Steve Maskery":2l5rslwp said:
There is nothing to keep the table aligned either side of the blade access slot. Mine now has a noticeable difference in height and I don't think there is much I can do about it. If yours is still level, I suggest you drill a hole in between the two halves and insert an alignment pin. Too late for me.

Could you put a G-clamp on the bed to bring the two halves back to level with each other and then drill the hole? Might be a pain to pull the pin out afterward though, unless the casting settles in its new position which might be achieved by warming it up a bit after putting the pin in place.

Steve Maskery":2l5rslwp said:
Next to bottom line - if I'd known as much about bandsaws when I bought it as I do now, I'd have bought a second-hand Startrite and upgraded the ridiculously awful blade guide system.

I agree with the Startrite sentiment although they have become silly money recently as with all other bandsaws with some asking about £1000 for what they are which is a very bare-bones, small machine (although there is a very reasonable rip capacity with the 352, and they did do larger machines up to 500mm wheels) when they used to fetch £300-400 tops. The blade guide is a bit noisier than a ball-bearing type system but from my experience, it doesn't really make any difference to the cut quality either way. For not far off the same money, I'd probably be looking at a Wadkin C5 or similar instead and convert it to single-phase power as the average punter is looking for 240v machines and so they've been driven up in value no end.
 
Yeah, I've been looking for Startrites but their price is through the roof.

The problem with the older 3 phase jobbies for me is that they are so heavy, and getting them from my vehicle to the workshop would be a real challenge. I continue to look, though, and that would still be my ideal.

Steve Maskery":14tf2b6i said:
.....There is nothing to keep the table aligned either side of the blade access slot. Mine now has a noticeable difference in height and I don't think there is much I can do about it. If yours is still level, I suggest you drill a hole in between the two halves and insert an alignment pin......

I hadn't realised that this could be an issue. So you have a pin which you have to slide back whenever you change the blade? There isn't enough "meat" in the ribs below my current table to allow the fitting of a pin.
 
You can do my ball bearing guide mod to the 352's, when I did mine it cost under a tenner.

Pete
 
There's a Centauro compact for 695 in Manchester on the bay.
A machine that won't eat thrust guides and screech like hell.

Seems most folks actually think they have to lift all the machine at once.
A larger floor standing is no harder to lift as the weight is spread out.
Obviously any sane person would take the table off first.

What if someone told you they held up their 24" machine with a single finger t'other day...
Fair enough most of it was disassembled, but not all that much lighter...
Might have needed two fingers if that were the case.

Tom
 
After reading about Steve’s issue with his bandsaw I think I’d look elsewhere.
 
Mike, the older startrites eg 18-s-1 (5 or 10) are built like brick out houses and half the table lifts off for blade change. solid as a rock and no warpage. They are 3 wheelers with large wheels (14" from memory) so don't suffer from the usual small wheel 3 wheelers
I'd not change mine for anything more modern.
Available single or 3 phase to which you can add an inverter as I have.

Bob
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mod ... 38613.html
 
Risky business even mentioning it so Bob.

Currently getting some nice blisters between me fingers, had to stop for a bit.
Don't remember what I did honing the plane iron last time, but having some difficulty now.
It has got some use, and I've been blaming that.
Might go back this evening and see if it works straight off the 400 diamond hone, without even toughing the flat.

Back to bandsaws and not their innards.
That Centauro saw may become a sought after machine,
Can take an inch blade with hefty tensioning system, fair sized amount under the guides, cast iron wheels and not some strange alloy, guides with bronze bits not needing attention.
That's what I'd want if I was looking for quieter ripping and resawing, and for light milling occasionally.
Read recently that they have stopped making most of them, and that's why the SCM or maybe ACM badge is present.
Seems to me from reading the 'Merican forums, get one while you can,.
(from a bandsaw fanatics perspective) 8-)
 
TomTrees":3lsb92ec said:
There's a Centauro compact for 695 in Manchester on the bay.....

Too far for me, I'm afraid.
 
Thats an extreme example of a pin.
My axminster has what is basically a 10 mm bolt, but with no thread and the shaft tapered from the head down to secure the two halves. Barely sticks out more than 20 mm.
 
Woodster":2jujyy11 said:
After reading about Steve’s issue with his bandsaw I think I’d look elsewhere.

I wouldn't take issue with that statement if it was a one or two-year-old machine, but even Steve says it's between 25-30 years old (and spend most of it under tension) and that was the only real problem he had with it in that time. I don't think that's too bad of a service life considering it's a machine, parts eventually get knackered and need to be replaced.

TomTrees":2jujyy11 said:
There's a Centauro compact for 695 in Manchester on the bay.
A machine that won't eat thrust guides and screech like hell.

Yes, it's cheap for a re-badged Centauro, but god knows how it's been treated judging by the state of it. The description states that it was used in an aluminium foundry, obviously for cutting sprues and risers off castings, day-in-day-out. The tyres of the machine will have aluminium filings pressed into them if they're even still on the machine, all of the mechanicals will have aluminium filings in them and it will need a very thorough clean, and to top it off it doesn't appear to have a fence. I'd personally say it's £300 too much as you'll almost need £100 in degreaser just to get it clean enough for wood!

TomTrees":2jujyy11 said:
Read recently that they have stopped making most of them, and that's why the SCM or maybe ACM badge is present.

Not sure where you read that, and whoever said it was talking utter nonsense. Centauro still makes their bandsaws, and they've just brought out a new basic line of machines under their "Smart" brand to compete with the likes of Felder. Centauro does make bandsaws for SCM under their Formula line, but it is definitely Centauro that makes them.
 
I thought so too, until I came across a recent enough thread.
From what I've read in this post from the creek, titled...
Anyone use the SCM S540P?, It seems not the case.

Hope it's OK to do so, I can edit/delete this if necessary?

"I was told that the owner of Centauro passed away about a year or so ago and that his sons now run the business. SCM was running into more QC issues than when the old man was in charge. They made the decision to switch to ACM rather than take the risk unhappy customers."


"Aha! Yes, you are right. Except that I don't think anyone who wants a Centauro or ACM is going for an S45N."

"Exactly what SCM told me of why they switched. "


Sorry for thread derailment.
I disagree with your service life comment, as I wouldn't consider that part to be a consumable.
Nothing like that on most any capable saw sold today, bar guides, everything else likely to be cast iron and sheet metal.

Those Italian's know how to make some good castings!
Local Italian foundries interchangable parts.
I battered the living 5hit outta the carriage assembly trying to get a split pin, which was permanently stuck into the tension screw, by someonewho didn't want anyone to ever take it out.
Had to grind the shaft to get it out after a few hundred wallops with a big hammer.

Tom
 
So this got me wondering what is for sale and how much, well there is a vintage 7 feet tall cast-iron bandsaw in Bournemouth for £150 which might be worth looking at, you never know, it looks a complete mess from the photos but cast-iron tends to last. And it’s not monumentally heavy more skeletal.
I didn’t realise what a bargain I had got when I bought my startrite 352, 20 ? years ago, don’t ask it will only annoy you! Ian
 
TomTrees":2s66jbq1 said:
"I was told that the owner of Centauro passed away about a year or so ago and that his sons now run the business. SCM was running into more QC issues than when the old man was in charge. They made the decision to switch to ACM rather than take the risk unhappy customers."


"Aha! Yes, you are right. Except that I don't think anyone who wants a Centauro or ACM is going for an S45N."

"Exactly what SCM told me of why they switched. "

I'm not even sure how that's really relevant to what you said about Centauro not making bandsaws, Tom. From what I understand of what's written there is that the owner of Centauro has supposedly passed away, the QC has supposedly dropped and SCM has supposedly changed to ACM as a supplier for their machinery, all of which could be some nonsense spouted by some fabulist on another forum.

TomTrees":2s66jbq1 said:
I disagree with your service life comment, as I wouldn't consider that part to be a consumable.
Nothing like that on most any capable saw sold today, bar guides, everything else likely to be cast iron and sheet metal.

You're not comparing like for like though, the Scheppach would've been a third or even a quarter of the price of an equivalent Centauro back when it was made, it was aimed at serious hobbyists, schools, and light trade, not the industrial use that Centauros and likewise are. My experience with working with machinery daily is that eventually things you wouldn't think would break, do, that's why SCM carries an absolutely massive catalogue of spare parts for their machinery of practically every piece, consumable or not.
 
I think it is relevant for someone who dosen't want to get on a saw horse to change blades, or one who want's something else than the wee one.

Not sure if Scheppach are still making saws, if so seems its still the same Basato.
Most of the Far Eastern machines made today, or which have been for at least over the last decade have much better components.
That's where I was coming from.

Most brands still cheap out on the tension screw, substituted for some bells and whistles,
like quick change blade lever, which on a big thread is likely equally fast/easy.
My Centaurolized saw makes that a breeze.
I have little want for anything but what I need.


In the used market that comparison means little though, unless you need to have some sticker for H&S.

You don't seem too keen on the Centauro !
I'm guessing you have something heavier, to not think highly of the machine, either that, or not used an Italian saw or Wadkin with flat tires.

Somethings amiss here, as you have likely used as many machines as I've had hot dinners.
I well remember ..."the most expensive planer restoration in the world"
So you're not beyond a bit o fixin up.

I'd have thought you would appreciate that these will run with only a single thrust guide, which with flat tires is much much easier on them, and is maintenance free too, maybe not for yourself, but the average Joe Soap it is, never put any oil, nor cleaned on the one I have.
That combined with the less noise factor is why I think its a good machine.

Yes likely could be got for maybe a bit cheaper, I got an ACM made Griggio for 500 (euro's)
without a fence.
Turned out, along with the new Far Eastern machine, was also a lemon.
Being broke makes it easy to find those "too good to be true" bargains.

So yes might be a good idea to look for something a bit more cared for, instead of something fruity, but does anyone have the choice?

Tom
 
TomTrees":1lups1t7 said:
Most of the Far Eastern machines made today, or which have been for at least over the last decade have much better components.
(Bar guides if made of some strange alloy castings)
as there's still some companies out there making pot metal components. :eusa-violin:
 
TomTrees":j166lgxc said:
I think it is relevant for someone who dosen't want to get on a saw horse to change blades, or one who want's something else than the wee one.

I'm not sure how that's relevant to what that discussion was about either? Are you talking in parables and I'm just not getting it? :eusa-think:

TomTrees":j166lgxc said:
Not sure if Scheppach are still making saws, if so seems its still the same Basato.

Scheppach still make saws, the Basatos are now called Basa's and look pretty much the same as they did 25 years ago except in blue rather than tan. If it's still built the same as it was back then I would imagine the Basa 3 for just under £500 is a lot of saw for the money, you can spend £1000 on Felder's bottom line Hammer saw and that doesn't even include the stand, shockingly!

I wouldn't still have it if it was rubbish, let me put it to you like that, and I don't treat them gently either.

TomTrees":j166lgxc said:
You don't seem too keen on the Centauro !
I'm guessing you have something heavier, to not think highly of the machine, either that, or not used an Italian saw or Wadkin with flat tires.

Somethings amiss here, as you have likely used as many machines as I've had hot dinners.
I well remember ..."the most expensive planer restoration in the world"
So you're not beyond a bit o fixin up.

I'm not saying anything negative about Centauro's saws, I'm saying that Centauro/Startrite, in particular, isn't worth the time of day trying to sort out. If it was a bargain it would've been snatched up by now but it's been on there for about four months, as I said, it's £300 too much.

I had the good fortune to have used a variety of bandsaws, from British to German, Italian, Chinese, and everything in between, with prices from fifty pounds worth, up to tens of thousands of pounds worth. If someone asked me what the best bandsaw I've used was that would be a difficult question as they're practically all the same, a number of wheels with a blade that goes around them, you really can't get a much simpler machine and the only real difference between them is the size and build quality which really is of little consequence so long as it cuts timber straight and proper. If I had to be pushed on the question I would probably have to say a Lurem SAR would be the best I've used, French-made, as simple in construction as a pair of wellington boots much like the Startrite saws but with a very interesting design that the body of the saw tilts rather than the table when you want to cut angles. If I had to have one bandsaw in the workshop that would be the one I would choose over anything else (except maybe it's heavier duty cousin, the Wadkin MZ but I haven't used one of those).

A big bandsaw is nice and all but for at least 95% of bandsaw work you simply don't need the size of anything over a 350mm wheel machine, a larger machine just eats up an unnecessarily large amount of room and generally costs more to run unless you can justify needing it for that 5% of work, comparing a Startrite 352 and a Felder FB510 the Felder probably eats a half square metre more than the Startrite does, which is precious space in the home workshop unless you have an aircraft hangar to play in.

No, I'm not afraid to fix a machine up, but I spend every working day working with wood, looking at wood, living with wood... you get the idea, so I enjoy spending my spare time dealing with something that isn't wood, which is fixing up old machinery/engineering. I imagine someone like Mike would prefer a machine to be working with minimal effort so they can get right to working wood with it, rather than spend weeks fixing it up so they can eventually use it, plus the fact it's a totally different skill-set and most people find that daunting. I'm sorting out a spindle moulder in my spare time at the moment, I'm well over a hundred hours invested into it now and I'm nowhere near finished although it is work to a fairly highish standard. If your goal is to work with wood rather than fix up machines it doesn't really make sense to fix them up, you may as well pay the extra for a straight machine if your time is worth more to you than the saving.

TomTrees":j166lgxc said:
That combined with the less noise factor is why I think its a good machine.

My Basato 3 runs like a sewing machine now that I changed the wheel bearings, it's actually probably the quietest one I've used, cutting is noisy but no more than any other machine.

TomTrees":j166lgxc said:
So yes might be a good idea to look for something a bit more cared for, instead of something fruity, but does anyone have the choice?

Of course you do, if your time is precious to you (and it should be, it's the most finite thing you have) and you do not get any enjoyment out of fixing up machinery, you spend more and either buy new, refurbished, or something in good nick, not something that's clearly been run for thousands of hours cutting cast aluminium in harsh conditions, with missing parts, and will require a lot of effort to make suitable for cutting timber.
 
I was merely assuming that Centauro were making huge super industrial plant machinery saws, and the wee one which is now not the Minimax/S45N or whatever its called.

Aah, a rather good call on what would be a sensible option if wanting every inch of room.
I have to say the FB or something similar like ACM , Multico or Wadkin or whatever else might be a good call, if one happened to stumble across this well sought after size.

I have to say, I've never came across an Italian 500mm saw, they seem a bit bigger than the
Far Eastern 20" I had, which took up no more space than the EB315 in there now.

Noise whilst cutting is what I was getting at, I can use a well tensioned 3/4" blade on my machine and cut some dimensioned fairly thick stock without using the thrust guide.
Maybe I should be swapping my blade for say above 4", but the 3TPI blade seems great for most of the things I need it for.
If I were ever to want to tackle green oak I'd want an inch blade with fewer teeth.

Sounds like the decent machines you mention didn't get the full Trevanion make over to me.

Re the Centauro, I reckon it would be easy to knock up a fence for it, as the well designed square rail is still present, which is an easy 'drop on' type, look at six minutes into this video for some inspiration... "Keile, Kreise, Kopieren mit der Bandsäge!"
This seems to be quite a common occurrence on a 24" saw, so can be often be got for a song.
Bit big for some though, especially compared to some of the 20" far Eastern machines which you don't see very often.

I just see the small ones as endless tinkering, so the time spent refurbishing a good one is time well spent.

All the best
Tom
 
TomTrees":3tcgmw79 said:
I was merely assuming that Centauro were making huge super industrial plant machinery saws, and the wee one which is now not the Minimax/S45N or whatever its called.

As I said in a couple of posts up, Centauro have just brought out a new line of saws branded "Smart" which are a much lower price and more compact compared to their industrial CO saws

~£2000 inc VAT Smart 400
cesm400.jpg


~£4000 inc VAT CO400
ceco400hd3.jpg


Centauro does 500mm saws in both brands as well.

TomTrees":3tcgmw79 said:
Sounds like the decent machines you mention didn't get the full Trevanion make over to me.

Most of the people I've worked for wanted you to work wood, not work on machines unless it was absolutely necessary. When you did work on the machinery, it was typically because something had broken and so it needed to be fixed as soon as possible, and more often than not it would've been some really sketchy repair done in-house without any proper equipment "just to keep it going" but then this repair ends up being permanent, which is why I would recommend avoiding machines that have clearly been neglected and worked hard unless you have the aptitude to repair them from the outset.
 
Good to hear that those are new machines, I thought those CO's were old stock, be interesting to see what factory they came from, to try and make sense of why these aren't being exported to USA.

Maybe all that's about to change?

Good news for the not so afraid of a bit o elbow grease.
Cheers

Tom
 
Trevanion":2fzgz9wu said:
As I said in a couple of posts up, Centauro have just brought out a new line of saws branded "Smart" which are a much lower price and more compact compared to their industrial CO saws

~£2000 inc VAT Smart 400
cesm400.jpg

Hi Trevanion

I spotted the Centauro Smart range on Scott and Sargeants website a few days ago. The spec of the Smart 400 is decent, comparable to similar saws in that price range. But I was surprised to see that the motor is rated at only 1hp (~0.75kw). This seems underpowered, especially since the comparable competition usually have at least 2hp (1.5kw) motors.

What's your take on that I wonder? With a listed max cutting height of 300mm, would the small motor cause problems for resawing close to capacity? Or are there other important factors, along with the power of the motor, that need to be considered? Can the relative lack of power be compensated for by other build elements allowing equivalent performance to similar sized machines with more powerful motors?

James
 
Welcome, Bojam.

My take on that is that the highest priority for a bandsaw is a really stiff frame so that blades can be tensioned properly, and so that tables locate firmly. Power is secondary, but important. If it has lower power, then a lower gearing, and thus a lower band speed, would probably overcome most of the issues in thicker material. As always with bandsaws, a sharp blade and a lower feed-in speed will get you over 99% of the issues.
 
Bojam":19h24irx said:
Hi Trevanion

I spotted the Centauro Smart range on Scott and Sargeants website a few days ago. The spec of the Smart 400 is decent, comparable to similar saws in that price range. But I was surprised to see that the motor is rated at only 1hp (~0.75kw). This seems underpowered, especially since the comparable competition usually have at least 2hp (1.5kw) motors.

What's your take on that I wonder? With a listed max cutting height of 300mm, would the small motor cause problems for resawing close to capacity? Or are there other important factors, along with the power of the motor, that need to be considered? Can the relative lack of power be compensated for by other build elements allowing equivalent performance to similar sized machines with more powerful motors?

James

Hello James, Welcome to the Woodhaven!

I would tend to agree that one horsepower seems a little on the underwhelming side for a 400mm wheel machine, but I would expect that Centauro have worked it all out and the machine will perform to within it's capabilities. The Startrite 352 had a one horsepower motor with quite lightweight 350mm wheels and it was plenty powerful enough to rip full capacity (250mm) with the correct blade, so I would assume the SMART 400 with it's "high-intertia" wheels should be able to keep up just the same.

Their CO range of bandsaws also has a 400mm varient which is more than twice the price of the SMART bandsaw, of course, this bandsaw is made much more sturdier and has many higher quality components than the SMART saws as well as a two horsepower motor, but again, it's twice the price of not only the SMART but many other manufacturer's saws in the same size category. Looking at old literature from the 70s, the old Startrite CO450 (which was the Centauro imported into Britain by Startrite) only boasted a 1.5hp motor.

I recently sold a Charnwood W730 (350mm wheels) that I bought as part of a job lot years ago that had a one and a half horsepower motor so in theory it should've been more powerful than the Startrite 352 on paper but it didn't even come close even with a sharp blade, so I would think motor quality makes a large difference as the Charnwood had a really cheap and nasty Chinese motor on it while the Startrite has a British Brook motor. So possibly Centauro are using a decent quality Italian motor rather than far eastern junk that many others are using, but that's purely speculation and you'd have to have confirmation from someone who's seen one of these machines in person.
 
Hi Mike, Trevanion

Thanks very much for the warm welcome and the detailed answers to my questions.

Sorry for the delayed response. I did try to reply earlier but my post was "disapproved" by a moderator. Strange as I was just saying that had I been aware of the Centauro Smart range then I might well have bought one. Instead, I choose to buy a bandsaw and planer-thicknesser from a French/European company who sell machines manufactured in the Far East (similar specs and probably very similar in build quality to the equivalent Record and iTech machines). I looked at the budget SCM range and the Felder Hammer range but couldn't justify the substantial additional expense.

I wasn't able to consider second hand machines as there is virtually no market here in French Guiana and obviously I couldn't visit used machines in Europe to assess their condition. So it had to be new. And on top of that I had to contend with rising prices, particularly in shipping rates. So buying machines that reviewed well on French woodworking forums, from a French company with excellent customer service and reasonable pricing seemed like the sensible way to go. Having a 3 year warranty and the promise of solid after-sales support also tipped the balance. The specs of the machines look good (helical head on the 310mm PT, solid cast iron tables, 3hp motor, weighing 210kg; 17in heavy-duty flywheels on the bandsaw, 300mm max resaw capacity, 2hp motor, weighing 160kg). Hope I won't be disappointed. Delivery expected within the next month (at last!).

I understand the common advice to find (older) European manufactured machines and avoid the new stuff coming out of the Far East. But I do think we need to be a little careful not to treat all Far Eastern machinery as equivalent. For instance the Laguna range of bandsaws are multi award winning and very popular in the States, but produced in Taiwan. The JET JPT range of PTs has also been very popular and have received overwhelmingly positive reviews. Clearly some of the more expensive stuff, carefully designed and properly quality controlled can be excellent - particulary for small artisanal workshops. I hope the machines I chose turn out to be well engineered, robust and reliable too.

Cheers

James
 
Bojam":2tf4cr9u said:
I wasn't able to consider second hand machines as there is virtually no market here in French Guiana and obviously I couldn't visit used machines in Europe to assess their condition.

Ah, and I complain about machines being too far away... :lol:

If the machines you're having are the same/similar to the iTech machines I don't think you'll be too disappointed, they're built to a price but purportedly they work quite well. My only experience with iTech machinery was with a power feeder unit for a spindle moulder, and I found it a much nicer to use and better-finished piece of equipment compared to the Italian Maggi Steff power feeders.

Bojam":2tf4cr9u said:
I understand the common advice to find (older) European manufactured machines and avoid the new stuff coming out of the Far East. But I do think we need to be a little careful not to treat all Far Eastern machinery as equivalent. For instance the Laguna range of bandsaws are multi award winning and very popular in the States, but produced in Taiwan. The JET JPT range of PTs has also been very popular and have received overwhelmingly positive reviews. Clearly some of the more expensive stuff, carefully designed and properly quality controlled can be excellent - particulary for small artisanal workshops. I hope the machines I chose turn out to be well engineered, robust and reliable too.

I think Laguna is a cut above the rest as they actually manufacture their own machines in their own factory with their own design, tooling, and quality control in Taiwan, whereas a lot of others simply buy in generic machines but with their branding on with perhaps a bit of a different specification between manufacturers, but they're the same machine at their core. Another popular and well-regarded far-eastern machine are the Harvey table saws, which are made to quite a high standard compared to other similar machines, so not all the stuff coming from the Far East is total carp, it's all to do with the build quality and the quality control.
 
Back
Top