• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Some old equipment

Phil

Old Oak
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
4,216
Reaction score
450
Location
Southern Africa 0054
Some old equipment

Friend has this equipment in a store on the farm. Been there for 15 years +. About maybe 30 years old. It belonged to and was used by his cousin who made all the furniture in his house, passed away and the machines were moved to the farm.

He has offered it to me for nothing. If I took it, it would mean having to get rid of one of our vehicles. :lol: :lol:
I already have a lathe, table saw, RAS, TP.

The machines are dirty but look in good nick and would require some TLC.
Apparently up on a shelf are all the bits and pieces that go with the combo machine.

1. There is a DeWalt thicknesser-planer.

2. Then the large unit is a ShopSmith multi-function machine.
It has a bandsaw on one end.
Circular saw other end.
A lathe somewhere in the middle.

There is a ‘dial’ which has on it “drum sand”, “disc sand”, “magna dado” see photo.

Question – has anyone come across a machine like this? What would they be worth? Worthwhile fixing?

I am only interested in the bandsaw, but then it would come without a motor or stand to sit on. (then I still would not know where to site it in the garage)

See photos below.

Phil



DeW_Thick-Planer 1.jpg

DeW_Thick-Planer 2.jpg

DeW_Thick-Planer 3.jpg

DeW_Thick-Planer 4.jpg

DeW_Thick-Planer 5.jpg

ShopSmith_Adjuster.jpg

ShopSmith_Bandsaw.jpg

ShopSmith_Motor.jpg

ShopSmithSaw.jpg
 
Shop smith is a dated US brand. Like a lot of combis, I feel it does a lot but none of it very well. Might be a collectable/marketable but possibly not in RSA. Few if any spares to be had.

Dewalt P/T seen now and then quite often people search for knives to fit, so it is a bonus if it has some with enough meat to regrind.

Generally if I'm offered a job lot containing something of interest, I will take the lot, refurb and then choose what to use or sell on or weigh in. I feel guilty about just picking and choosing as what is left is even more difficult for a friend to shift.

Depends a bit if the friend needs the space and you are doing him a favour by shifting it or he thinks he is doing you a favour and the stuff can sit there for another decade or two.

Bob
 
Bob its in a storeroom with the generator and bales of grass. Not a space shortage.

I think he wants to get rid of it and that I would take and use it.
I could fix it up and then use it at the farm which is not really convenient.
Maybe go spend a day there assemble it and do some cleaning and list it on Gumtree or one of those sites.
It is certainly in better condition than the old Rockwell scroll saw that I fixed up and used for a number of years.
(this is my bee hive friend)
 
I believe they actually still make the Shopsmith in the US where it has a bit of a cult following, and parts are abundant for it there. They were sold here under the Multico brand, I think I may even have some sales literature for it somewhere. No real idea of the value of it (especially in SA, here I would hazard a guess of the value being about £100-200) they are very much a hobbyist level machine similar to to the more common here Myford ML8, it can get a lot done with the various attachments but it doesn’t really excel at anything because it’s a combination machine and it makes a lot of compromises.
 
the planer is a dream machine for a small ish jobs/place...it's bomb proof......
I still have my ELU 30 plus years on and reluctent to sell it at the mo.....
mine like most can be 240v or 440v....
loads'a spares around, blades no probs....
As for Shop Smith I bought a new one (mk7 I think) back from the States 40 odd years ago.......
nothing like it available here at the time.....easy to take apart for transport and nothing individualy to heavy except the jointer which was cast iron.....
I was a self employed shop and marine fitter and mine cope'd pretty well with everything I threw at it....
did loads'a work on the Bridgewater and Cheshire Ring canal tow pathes with it....
BUT u have to be very organised in tasks, although to swop from one mode to another was just 1 allen key away....I had the jointer as well as the bandsaw.....
Would I recomend one for the DIY'ER....with no room....definitely....
like the advert says it takes the same amount of room as a bycycle....
They are still made I believe, was looking to import a few used models here as they would sell well....

MIne was taken to S Africa 30 years ago (Krugersdorp) where it and all my Wadkin machines were stolen....
inc 2 Harleys and a fantastic mechanics Snap On tool kit....
good luck...
oh well.....
 
clogs":wmnk9yme said:
MIne was taken to S Africa 30 years ago (Krugersdorp) where it and all my Wadkin machines were stolen....
inc 2 Harleys and a fantastic mechanics Snap On tool kit....
good luck...
oh well.....

Thats a real bummer. 30 years later and the same thing would happen, just with violence thrown in.
 
Back
Top