AJB Temple
Sequoia
- Joined
- Apr 15, 2019
- Messages
- 7,824
- Reaction score
- 1,293
As some of you know, I bought a Draper CTS 200 table saw, the one with floor stand, cast iron table and cast iron sliding table, just to do my kitchen build at home. It was a temporary acquisition because my workshop, where I had a bigger table saw, is a bit too far away to be convenient. So I put this in a temporary shopb (ie the kitchen I was building).
I’ve now sold my bigger Multico table saw, which I always hated, as I have started clearing out my workshop of stuff I don’t want. This is so I can repurpose the building (possibly making it much larger). The saw sold for 5 times what I paid for it and the intention eventually is to fit out a new workshop.
New W/s will get a decent small t/s such as Wadkin and a spindle. Bandsaw will be bigger. There will be a log burner. P/T will also be moved on for a better one. Sanding thicknesser will be acquired. These are my current dreams.
Just getting views really on whether it’s worth fettling the Draper, or move that on now as well. In practice, virtually all of the work making endless kitchen units was done on a full-size sheet cobbled up bench with a Mafell tracksaw and new blades (100% of the sheet work), or cut by hand. The Draper t/s has been useful for ripping down oak boards, and is surprisingly accurate doing that.
It is still on the original blade, which I fear is not great. It can bog down somewhat in 30mm oak if the material is thick and feed rate too high. It will stall in very knotty wood. Feed rate would lose a snails’ race I suspect in my oak planks. Max claimed depth is 60 mm at 90 degrees. I consider this to be pure fantasy. Dust extraction is rigged up to a Numatic vac, sucking from above and below, and this certainly captures any dust that does not spray out of all the other gaps. The blade guard and riving knife are both terrible. Riving knife is not rigid enough and not super square to the blade, and the guard is plastic and bolted to it and sits a long way above the blade.
I think it will be at least two years, probably realistically three, before I have finished the new workshop or major extension of the old one.
So, to get the best out of the Draper without spending money I won’t get back, what would you guys recommend. I mainly cut seasoned oak.
Cast iron table and cast iron sliding table are both surprisingly good, but I am aware that pigs ear does not maketh silk purse.
Picture of similar:

I’ve now sold my bigger Multico table saw, which I always hated, as I have started clearing out my workshop of stuff I don’t want. This is so I can repurpose the building (possibly making it much larger). The saw sold for 5 times what I paid for it and the intention eventually is to fit out a new workshop.
New W/s will get a decent small t/s such as Wadkin and a spindle. Bandsaw will be bigger. There will be a log burner. P/T will also be moved on for a better one. Sanding thicknesser will be acquired. These are my current dreams.
Just getting views really on whether it’s worth fettling the Draper, or move that on now as well. In practice, virtually all of the work making endless kitchen units was done on a full-size sheet cobbled up bench with a Mafell tracksaw and new blades (100% of the sheet work), or cut by hand. The Draper t/s has been useful for ripping down oak boards, and is surprisingly accurate doing that.
It is still on the original blade, which I fear is not great. It can bog down somewhat in 30mm oak if the material is thick and feed rate too high. It will stall in very knotty wood. Feed rate would lose a snails’ race I suspect in my oak planks. Max claimed depth is 60 mm at 90 degrees. I consider this to be pure fantasy. Dust extraction is rigged up to a Numatic vac, sucking from above and below, and this certainly captures any dust that does not spray out of all the other gaps. The blade guard and riving knife are both terrible. Riving knife is not rigid enough and not super square to the blade, and the guard is plastic and bolted to it and sits a long way above the blade.
I think it will be at least two years, probably realistically three, before I have finished the new workshop or major extension of the old one.
So, to get the best out of the Draper without spending money I won’t get back, what would you guys recommend. I mainly cut seasoned oak.
- New 200mm blade obviously (any recommendations?).
Worth replacing the riving knife and guard (if so with what?)
Is it worth considering replacing the motor (I think it is an 1100watt induction as it is not noisy).
Seal up all the gaps with foam?
Make zero clearance insert.
Cast iron table and cast iron sliding table are both surprisingly good, but I am aware that pigs ear does not maketh silk purse.
Picture of similar:
