• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Titanium Nitride Coated Cast Iron

Trevanion

Old Oak
Joined
Apr 27, 2019
Messages
2,609
Reaction score
485
Location
Pembrokeshire
I thought this was interesting, Axminster are selling Harvey band saws now that have a TiN coating on the bare cast iron surfaces:

104482_inset4_xl.jpg


[youtubessl]shfaC6FlfFo[/youtubessl]

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-at3352b-bandsaw-104482

As it turns out Harvey also make a table saw with a TiN coated top:

HW110LC_02.jpg


https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/alpha-hw110lc-36-10-2hp-cabinet-table-saw

It will be interesting to see the longevity of such a coating on cast iron, or whether it's just a gimmick and it'll look very patchy after a couple of years of hard use. The low friction and no corrosion pros are quite appealing, and it does have a certain wow-factor that some may like...

goldmember-austin-power.gif
 
I wonder how much that adds to the cost? Cast Iron is already pretty good anyway. It’s Nitride by the way, not Nitrate. ;)
 
Woodster":3ihhu8ff said:
I wonder how much that adds to the cost? Cast Iron is already pretty good anyway. It’s Nitride by the way, not Nitrate. ;)

Whoopsy daisy! Edited accordingly :lol:
 
Having tried to machine the cast iron on an Axminster mortiser once only to have it crumble I can guess why they want to coat it.
 
Doug":1gbgnl7o said:
Having tried to machine the cast iron on an Axminster mortiser once only to have it crumble I can guess why they want to coat it.

Can't be as bad as the Charnwood stuff, I sold a bandsaw I had in storage for a long time the other day and I noticed there was an odd-shaped indent on the edge of the table and after a bit of probing with a stanley knife blade, I realised there was a huge chunk of car body filler under the paint replacing a 2" section of cast iron.
 
Did you guys ever have the granite tablesaw tops like we had a few years ago? Another flash in the pan gimmick didn't last.

Kirk
 
kirkpoore1":1zdj8mxa said:
Did you guys ever have the granite tablesaw tops like we had a few years ago? Another flash in the pan gimmick didn't last.

Kirk

Those were the "Steel City" machines weren't they? I think they also did a bandsaw that had granite wheels, which seems a bit daft too.
 
Trevanion":1pz2zepb said:
kirkpoore1":1pz2zepb said:
Did you guys ever have the granite tablesaw tops like we had a few years ago? Another flash in the pan gimmick didn't last.

Kirk

Those were the "Steel City" machines weren't they? I think they also did a bandsaw that had granite wheels, which seems a bit daft too.

Granite table there too. I don't think wheels--I can't imagine that they would survive the stress very long.

Kirk
 
kirkpoore1":36s6u5ok said:
Granite table there too. I don't think wheels--I can't imagine that they would survive the stress very long.

Kirk

A quick google brought this article up:

https://www.woodshopnews.com/tools-machines/more-granite-on-steel-city-14-band-saw

Obviously, they didn't do them for long as I can't find much else about them except for a few forum posts. I can't imagine them being the cleverest idea, a small fracture would turn into a large one very quickly!
 
Back
Top