Pinch
Old Oak
This is a bit of a delicate subject and without going too far into the depths, I have recently learnt there has been a ‘disservice’ by the NHS at my expense.
The short story is: Five years ago, I was diagnosed with an apparently rare disease called ‘collagenous colitis’, which causes inflammation of the colon and colon’s lining. The diagnosis was made after a series of tests including a colonoscopy and biopsy of my colon. The consultant told me there is no cure, but it should stabilise and not get any worse with medication. But, if it worsens, I would be looking at possible surgery. He also told me there would be a follow-up with prescribed medication to ease the discomfort and inflammation.
As the weeks and months went by, I heard nothing and I just got on with life. I somehow got into my head to simply deal with it the best I could and just get on. I was still going to my local GP’s surgery on occasions with stomach pains and other symptoms. There was no mention of my diagnosis from the GP. I did tell the GP on a few occasions that I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis by the gastroenterologist, but my GP's records were showing the results of my colonoscopy and colon biopsy as ‘Normal’. I questioned this but the GP assured me all was okay – just a common bout of IBS and that I simply had to learn to live with it.
After a few years had gone by, my symptoms gradually got worse. Symptoms are stomach pains & cramps, hot flushes, diarrhoea around 5-7 times a day starting from anytime between 4-5am onwards, occasional bleeding, fatigue, losing more energy week-by-week and an overall feeling of ‘can’t be bothered to do much’. In the last months to a year, my condition worsened even more, so much so, I went back to my GP (different GP now). I tried to explain to the doctor how miserable my life has become with constant fatigue and diarrhoea which had now been going on for years. The doctor then arranged more referrals including back to the gastroenterologist, the dietician (which was a waste of time) and now a neurologist (for other symptoms which could be related) which is now set for next month.
I went to see the gastroenterologist again on the 6th October (a couple of weeks ago) and he was about to arrange another colonoscopy, when he suddenly realised by my notes that I had this procedure 5 years ago with a diagnosis of ‘collagenous colitis’. He then asked me what drugs I’ve been taking during the last 5 years. I told him I haven’t had any drugs. His jaw dropped and he told me his department contacted my local surgery 4 times 5 years ago with the prescribed medication. There-and-then, he put me on a high dosage steroid (Budesonide) for 9 weeks and another high dosage inflammatory tablet (Mesalazine) for the rest of my life. This is when he said on two occasions, there has been a disservice here. I now have the ‘upper gastrointestinal endoscopy’ coming up (no date yet) and the appointment with the neurologist next month. Also, after yesterday’s events (without going into detail) and a special visit to the GP, I am now being referred for another colonoscopy as well.
I’ve been on the steroids and the other drug for almost two weeks now and my symptoms have improved with energy levels rising a bit, not on the loo as much and stomach pains have eased – until yesterday; hence, special visit to the GP’s surgery.
In the last months/year, my symptoms have gradually got worse with consistent diarrhoea 5-7 times daily starting from 4-5am onwards, occasional bleeding, hot flushes, very little energy, very little motivation & focus to do anything, almost crippling stomach pains on occasions, discomfort with walking on occasions and an overall feeling of tiredness and fatigue.
I don’t want to sound ungrateful because we’re fortunate to have the NHS and they do a lot of good work, but... I have recently learnt I have suffered these symptoms for the last 5 years unnecessarily, and, if I started the drugs 5 years ago, my condition would have had a much better chance of stabilising.
My GP is now on the case and she has promised me “We will get to the bottom of this!” I did smile when she said that and I replied “Thanks, and I forgive the pun!”
I obviously don’t know who’s at fault here. If the Gastroenterology Department contacted my local surgery on 4 occasions 5 years ago with a prescription, why wasn’t it followed through by my GP? Why does my local surgery’s records show my biopsy result as ‘normal’ when a diagnosis of collagenous colitis was confirmed by the Gastroenterology Department?
I’m aware the NHS are making life changing mistakes all the time (some worse than others) for various reasons which is unacceptable, but when their mistakes affect your own personal health, it’s real.
In the last week or so, a few people have mentioned to me that this could be a possible case of a claim against the NHS. This hasn’t entered my head until it was put to me, and now, I’m actually considering making enquiries to see if there is a possible claim. But to be honest, I’m in mixed feelings. If there was a claim on the table and it was successful, a compensation for loss of earnings and poor health would be something.
What would you do?
A tricky question I know, but my head is fighting my heart and visa-versa.
The short story is: Five years ago, I was diagnosed with an apparently rare disease called ‘collagenous colitis’, which causes inflammation of the colon and colon’s lining. The diagnosis was made after a series of tests including a colonoscopy and biopsy of my colon. The consultant told me there is no cure, but it should stabilise and not get any worse with medication. But, if it worsens, I would be looking at possible surgery. He also told me there would be a follow-up with prescribed medication to ease the discomfort and inflammation.
As the weeks and months went by, I heard nothing and I just got on with life. I somehow got into my head to simply deal with it the best I could and just get on. I was still going to my local GP’s surgery on occasions with stomach pains and other symptoms. There was no mention of my diagnosis from the GP. I did tell the GP on a few occasions that I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis by the gastroenterologist, but my GP's records were showing the results of my colonoscopy and colon biopsy as ‘Normal’. I questioned this but the GP assured me all was okay – just a common bout of IBS and that I simply had to learn to live with it.
After a few years had gone by, my symptoms gradually got worse. Symptoms are stomach pains & cramps, hot flushes, diarrhoea around 5-7 times a day starting from anytime between 4-5am onwards, occasional bleeding, fatigue, losing more energy week-by-week and an overall feeling of ‘can’t be bothered to do much’. In the last months to a year, my condition worsened even more, so much so, I went back to my GP (different GP now). I tried to explain to the doctor how miserable my life has become with constant fatigue and diarrhoea which had now been going on for years. The doctor then arranged more referrals including back to the gastroenterologist, the dietician (which was a waste of time) and now a neurologist (for other symptoms which could be related) which is now set for next month.
I went to see the gastroenterologist again on the 6th October (a couple of weeks ago) and he was about to arrange another colonoscopy, when he suddenly realised by my notes that I had this procedure 5 years ago with a diagnosis of ‘collagenous colitis’. He then asked me what drugs I’ve been taking during the last 5 years. I told him I haven’t had any drugs. His jaw dropped and he told me his department contacted my local surgery 4 times 5 years ago with the prescribed medication. There-and-then, he put me on a high dosage steroid (Budesonide) for 9 weeks and another high dosage inflammatory tablet (Mesalazine) for the rest of my life. This is when he said on two occasions, there has been a disservice here. I now have the ‘upper gastrointestinal endoscopy’ coming up (no date yet) and the appointment with the neurologist next month. Also, after yesterday’s events (without going into detail) and a special visit to the GP, I am now being referred for another colonoscopy as well.
I’ve been on the steroids and the other drug for almost two weeks now and my symptoms have improved with energy levels rising a bit, not on the loo as much and stomach pains have eased – until yesterday; hence, special visit to the GP’s surgery.
In the last months/year, my symptoms have gradually got worse with consistent diarrhoea 5-7 times daily starting from 4-5am onwards, occasional bleeding, hot flushes, very little energy, very little motivation & focus to do anything, almost crippling stomach pains on occasions, discomfort with walking on occasions and an overall feeling of tiredness and fatigue.
I don’t want to sound ungrateful because we’re fortunate to have the NHS and they do a lot of good work, but... I have recently learnt I have suffered these symptoms for the last 5 years unnecessarily, and, if I started the drugs 5 years ago, my condition would have had a much better chance of stabilising.
My GP is now on the case and she has promised me “We will get to the bottom of this!” I did smile when she said that and I replied “Thanks, and I forgive the pun!”
I obviously don’t know who’s at fault here. If the Gastroenterology Department contacted my local surgery on 4 occasions 5 years ago with a prescription, why wasn’t it followed through by my GP? Why does my local surgery’s records show my biopsy result as ‘normal’ when a diagnosis of collagenous colitis was confirmed by the Gastroenterology Department?
I’m aware the NHS are making life changing mistakes all the time (some worse than others) for various reasons which is unacceptable, but when their mistakes affect your own personal health, it’s real.
In the last week or so, a few people have mentioned to me that this could be a possible case of a claim against the NHS. This hasn’t entered my head until it was put to me, and now, I’m actually considering making enquiries to see if there is a possible claim. But to be honest, I’m in mixed feelings. If there was a claim on the table and it was successful, a compensation for loss of earnings and poor health would be something.
What would you do?
A tricky question I know, but my head is fighting my heart and visa-versa.