• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Another disservice by the NHS.

Pinch":3rcwert6 said:
Tusses":3rcwert6 said:
I'll look at the HTF

Alcohol .. I think they just brought the mens RDA to meet womens at around 14 units per week.
or 7 pints of not very strong beer

1 a day,

or 2 or 3 a day over the weekend

I have always drank more than that, since I can remember.

One thing on my list is to be T-Total :(

Yes, that's a real shame and I feel for you. :|

I've got into the habit over the recent weeks (possibly months) of writing 'Beer night tonight' on the forum every Friday night - usually in the 'Your favourite listenings' thread. I did last night and then, I thought that was unfair considering you've stopped for the last two years, so I deleted it. :|

Put it back at once ! :lol:

seriously ! It's just one of those things I want to do to see if it helps.

My dad just brought round a bottle of Southern Comfort, for taking him to the airport last month.
I've told him many times I can't drink it, as it makes me ill ! .. but bless him, he means well.
Trouble is, I will probably end up drinking it :oops:

the funny thing is, I haven't chosen to drink Southern Comfort since my early 20's .. it was sweet and drinkable.
Later I moved to Single Malts .. I like the smoky peaty ones ..

unfortunately Whisky is made from grain, and even though distilled, it doesn't get all the gluten out, and often they mix a bit of the mash back in for flavour.

I tried Cider .. didn't like it much, and found it very acidic .. heart burn

Like you, I like to switch off after a long day/week, pour a drink, relax ..

Just Vodka left (as long as it's corn or potato based) .. with mixers ..
Don't particularly like it either , so I'm slowly getting down to not bothering at all

I think most wine is gluten free .. but I've never been into that. ..
ooh ! that reminds me .. Cognac ! .. that's nice .. and made from wine ! lol

but no .. T-Total 1st .. see if it helps .. if not then I can think again :-)
 
Tusses":w7ra7efu said:
I'll look at the HTF

Alcohol .. I think they just brought the mens RDA to meet womens at around 14 units per week.
or 7 pints of not very strong beer

1 a day,

or 2 or 3 a day over the weekend

I have always drank more than that, since I can remember.

One thing on my list is to be T-Total :(

Yes, but just take a look at the bias of those on the committee that 'advised' on this limit. I use the term 'advised' very loosely.

http://health.spectator.co.uk/no-wonder ... fted-them/
 
Pinch":mtsegdx2 said:
....

My appointment for the upper gastrointestinal endoscopy came in this morning; scheduled for 1st November - a week next Tuesday. I'm not looking forward to this one! I also have the appointment with the neurologist on 14th November, and the another colonoscopy on its way.

:text-bravo:

Mmmm..I've never had the upper one but I did look into it when I was having my troubles. It doesn't look much fun. The colonscopy was a bit of a hoot TBH and I enjoyed the video :D That Entonox is well cool !!
 
Yes, I'm going to go for the local anaesthetic throat spray and the sedation - I'm a wimp. :lol:
 
I've had a few watching the screen but the best ones are when you are knocked out under a general (EUA).
The worst part is the laxative before hand - 1lt of evil tasting stuff x2 and then a few hours of purgatory on the loo! [emoji53]


Rod
 
ABOUT THE WRITER: Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.
Colonoscopy Journal:Â

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.

A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly throughMinneapolis.
Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.

I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands ofAmerica 's enemies..

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.

Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began mypreparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basicallywater, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons). Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel movement may result.'

This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but, have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked..

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep..
At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to b urn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point..

Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand.

There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me..

'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.


On the subject of Colonoscopies...

Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:

1. Take it easy Doc.. You're boldly going where no man has gone before.

2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

3. 'Can you hear me NOW?'

4. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'

5. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'

6. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'

7. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'

8. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'

9. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!'

10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'

11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'

12. 'God, now I know why I am not gay.'

And the best one of all:

13. 'Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?'
 
Rod":fepmqrhl said:
I've had a few watching the screen but the best ones are when you are knocked out under a general (EUA).
The worst part is the laxative before hand - 1lt of evil tasting stuff x2 and then a few hours of purgatory on the loo! [emoji53]


Rod

I held my nose while I drank it and sucked a lemon quickly afterwards. It hardly had any effect on me, if truth be told but the consultant was happy enough.

Phil, that is excellent !!
 
I have experienced both routes Drs take to deal with the prostate!

I can only say that from front, after I woke up, I reckoned their camera must have been a Nikon D7200 with 300mm lens......and a tripod!!

[youtube]c8eH0pvmAnk[/youtube]

Having said all that, after the procedure, I could drink copious amounts of fluid again.
 
Yep, that's spot on Phil. 8-)

I was asked if I had a music preference during the procedure. I asked for "It's a long way to Tipperary". :|

Afterwards, I said to the doc, "I don't care what people say, I think you're alright!" :lol:

:text-bravo:
 
One thing I haven't been able to do in ages is fart with confidence, but oh boy, I can now! :lol:

I think I'm really annoying Mrs P with the noise! :lol:
 
Pinch":12x5u2i8 said:
One thing I haven't been able to do in ages is fart with confidence, but oh boy, I can now! :lol:

I think I'm really annoying Mrs P with the noise! :lol:

haha .... this is such a strange thread ! !!!
but yes ! .. Do I have wind .. ?? hmm ... best sit on the loo to make sure ! :lol:
 
MoviPrep must travel the world Phil [emoji50]
Roger if that didn't work for you, you must have a constitution of an Ox! [emoji3]

Rod
 
I had a colonoscopy early last year (had some blood where there should not be), and decided that I would sleep in the flat next to the house so as not to worry about the noise, smell etc.

Lined up the ‘stuff’ (Moviprep) :o , tasted it, and then fetched a bottle of cold white wine, a good chardonnay. 8-)

Wine mixed with ‘stuff’ the taste was not too bad. By the time the ‘stuff was finished so was the bottle and another half, and I started feeling really good.

However I was now sh1t scared of falling asleep not knowing what could happen in that inebriated state!
So I spent the whole night sitting upright and dozing.

By the time I got to the hospital I was raw at that end and I am sure that most of the colon had already been flushed down the toilet.

Came out with a clean result, some polyps cut out and sent away for analysis, and have to go back in 5 years.

Cheers
Phil
 
Pinch":32eylnsg said:
One thing I haven't been able to do in ages is fart with confidence, but oh boy, I can now! :lol:



After my food poisoning a couple of months ago, I am still very weary of just blowing off. :oops:
 
Wow...this is the first time I've popped into this part of the forum...and I'm glad I did.

I have an auto-inflammatory disease, it's very rare and is currently queried as 'Stills'. Essentially if I pick up a bug, a common cold for example, my body triggers a secondary reaction and it attacks itself. I get massive fatigue which puts me in bed, my joints kill, fever spikes (swinging from normal to 40 and back again in a short space of time) and a lovely salmon pink rash all over my torso. I sleep for hours :(

Between last Oct 15 and March 16 I was having flare ups almost fortnightly (I've had them before but nowhere near as frequent), I've seen all the doctors at my GP practice and had a zillion blood tests to no joy...luckily I have a friend who is a very smart hospital consultant doctor who I share the results with...some of the GPs ideas were way off (my pal laughed at them) which is how I figured which GPs at the practice were not so good/out of date and best to avoid. In the end it was my friend who figured out the diagnosis (my wife was distraught with trying to look after our baby, a job and a sick me -I'm really difficult when sick- ) we both (my friend and I) went to the GP (one of the good ones) who listened to their ideas and the GP agreed to refer me to rheumatology...tests and long story short... bingo! I'm on a pathway. Of course there's nothing I can do, but I now currently carry steroids and colchicine to drop at the slightest sniff of a flare up and they enable me to work (to some degree) through the symptoms.

Fortunately since June the flare up have become less frequent, maybe every 6-8 wks. I live in denial that it's not there...then the bugger rocks up and floors me! But that's part of the condition, apparently.

I absolutely relate to some of the comments; frustration with the, nhs, not being able to function through fatigue and aching joints (sometimes I'm too stiff to walk), I love to work, I can't sit still, so it's incredibly depressing and upsetting not being able to do anything until it passes to then get hit with another flare up a few days later. I too have missed out on work or got behind and finding excuses / missing deadlines is demoralising. I worry that if a customer gets wind of my condition they'll drop me, so it's a real juggle.

I too enjoy my own company and have a busy mind which is really easily distracted...but I too definitely get a kick out of my drifting imagination...even though it probably drives my wife nuts...as I forget stuff, or ask twice...I think this is linked with being a creative type.

Not sure where I'm going with this and apologise if my phone typing doesn't quite make sense...however ...I admire your openness chaps and I found your accounts and similar experiences very useful and in places reassuring to read.

Thanks Jim

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
 
This whole auto-immune system reneging is the source of so many illnesses. Coeliac disease, for one. It also seems to go hand in hand with other 'funnies' which make it the Devils' own job to fathom out. LOML is coeliac as I mentioned in the past and she knows all the symptoms etc and because her diet really IS religious, her body is now sensitised to it and so if there is even a hint in something allegedly gluten-free (and many are not) then she will get a reaction very, very quickly and usually quickly enough to stop eating the offending item.

But now we realise that she also has an allergy to histamine. She has a lump in her mouth and the dentist is flummoxed. Her GP as well. Blood tests show no inflammation. Her dentist gave her a course of anti-biotics - Metronidazole. Within days, her face started to swell up like a balloon. Turns out that Metronidazole metabolises to histamine, amongst other things. She's just finishing a dose of a different type of antibiotic - Clindamycin. The side-effects are not pleasant but she's soldiering on. However she's questioning their validity given that there are no inflammatory markers in her bloods.

On a separate note, she discovered that the US sites have a damn site more information on drugs and what to do/how to take them then the PIL that comes with the tablets. Luckily the pharmacist marked the box 'Take plenty of water'. Does the PIL say anything about that ? Nope. The US site specifically says 'Do not lie down for 30 minutes' after taking the tablet. And the PIL ? Nope.

Trouble is that these antibiotics screw up the flora of the GI tract.

And lastly here's the intriguing bit. She felt rough from time to time for many years - going back 30 odd years. We knew nothing about coeliac disease and gluten. She'd done the usual things like going to the doctor as she was, from time to time, totally exhausted but nothing became apparent. She'd even seen a few complementary therapists but was pretty jaundiced as to their efficacy advice (change job, sleep better, give up coffee). Anyway, one day I persuaded her to go and see an iridologist. LOML was extremely sceptical but agree to go to shut me up. True to form, the iridologist said 'change job, give up coffee' etc. 'What a waste of time' thinks LOML, getting up to leave. Just as she was putting on her coat, the iridologist says to her 'I suppose you do realise that you are highly gluten intolerant ?". "Gluten" says SWMBO? "I never buy any of that". The iridologist patiently explained about wheat etc. So...out went the bread. Result. The rest is history - albeit ongoing.
 
Thanks for sharing Jim and good to read you've got it under some sort of control. Bowel issues seem to be very popular through our society these days (perhaps it always has been and probably improved over recent years with new medicine), although different diseases and some rarer than others. Like the doctor said to me a couple of weeks ago... "The bowel starts at the mouth and ends at the anus. If removed, it would reach reception from here." The reception was some distance away. He went on to say how complex the bowel is and how it communicates from one department to the next. Our bodies are quite something. Incidentally, that's one hell of a message to put together on your phone Jim :eusa-clap:

Sorry to read your good lady has suffered all these years Roger. I really feel for her and Rich who obviously share the same disease/symptoms. Managing Coeliac disease must be an ongoing nightmare. At least I don't have that worry with mine. :|

Rich, did you manage to get some orders out over the weekend?
 
Pinch":25g4ag3d said:
Rich, did you manage to get some orders out over the weekend?

Not much Paul, Thanks for asking.
but as "luck" ? would have it, I was bad in the night, .. couldn't sleep, tummy, not head, so been in the workshop since 5am and got quite a bit done :)

Just finished .. too late to eat.
Tired out now though :lol:

at least I should sleep well tonight, as I've not eaten :)
 
Tusses":fujcwlbe said:
TrimTheKing":fujcwlbe said:
Chaps

Just seen this pop up on my Facebook timeline care of a friend who suffers similarly to you guys.

I've not read it all but maybe some food for thought for you sufferers.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/87511/sc ... ensitivity

Cheers
Mark

Cheers Mark

My GP say's it rubbish .. so I'm kinda stuck from going any further :(

Change your GP ? On what basis do they say this? Are they GI tract specialists? Pace my GP saying I didn't have giardiasis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3526354/

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1016/0014-5793(90)80642-V/abstract

http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/102609

after a few minutes Googling.
 
Chaps, forgive me, but I've got share my exciting news with you. :D :D

This morning in the bathroom, I didn't throw down any loo paper and I heard a sound I haven't heard in years....... plop....... plop....... plop. :D

After, I rushed down stairs to Mrs P and said "Sweetheart, I've just done solid jobbies!" :D :D :D :lol:

This is a momentous day for me after 13 years of the squirts! :lol:

:text-bravo:
 
Pinch":1repoh2z said:
Chaps, forgive me, but I've got share my exciting news with you. :D :D

This morning in the bathroom, I didn't throw down any loo paper and I heard a sound I haven't heard in years....... plop....... plop....... plop. :D

After, I rushed down stairs to Mrs P and said "Sweetheart, I've just done solid jobbies!" :D :D :D :lol:

This is a momentous day for me after 13 years of the squirts! :lol:

:text-bravo:


I hereby grant this thread an exemption from the "no photos it didn't happen" rule. :D
 
Pinch":2hgu066h said:
Chaps, forgive me, but I've got share my exciting news with you. :D :D

This morning in the bathroom, I didn't throw down any loo paper and I heard a sound I haven't heard in years....... plop....... plop....... plop. :D

After, I rushed down stairs to Mrs P and said "Sweetheart, I've just done solid jobbies!" :D :D :D :lol:

This is a momentous day for me after 13 years of the squirts! :lol:

:text-bravo:


Paul's toilet lament ..........

And here I sit in silent bliss,
Listening to the trickling p1ss,
And all I want heard,
Patiently waiting for the plop of a dropping t....rd,
etc.
:lol:

{edit fix spelling}
 
Chaps, thank you for your kind words. Phil - excellent Sir bravo-bravo! The "etc" is tempting to continue with such a fine limerick into a fully matured poem. Over to you Phil.... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

After yesterday's momentous day and continuing might I add, I would like to say a quick word or two...

The last time I felt this proud was when my daughter took her first step, or when Colin my little houdie sounded his first bark. Truly magnificent. :D

:text-bravo:
 
Endoscopy tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it. :(

Can't eat or drink 6 hours before (apart from water), so I'm setting my alarm for 6am to make me a bacon sarnie and cup of splosh. Lovely jubbly. 8-)
 
Back
Top