• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Black smoke from drill

MY63

Old Oak
Joined
Oct 17, 2018
Messages
1,251
Reaction score
0
Location
North East England
Accompanied by that unpleasent smell that usually means all is not well.
My current pair (Ryobi) have served me well over the years I think at least ten maybe more.
I think it might be time to change them. I also have the cordless circular saw.
Should I stick with Ryobi or switch thinking Makita I have the track saw and router they are very well made.

This looks like a good deal only £12 more ex vat than the brushed version. Similar kits are available with the 5 ah batteries but I think 3 is ample for me.

https://its.co.uk/pd/Makita-DLX2414SJ-1 ... 2414SJ.htm

Advice appreciated
 
You let the magic smoke out?! That's NEVER a good idea......
 
Mike G":1jm2al7c said:
You let the magic smoke out?! That's NEVER a good idea......

I know the smell it is always expensive, To be honest the other one of the pair is in the loft somewhere and it is awful up there and none of us want to go back up there suit or no suit. We need it to finish the job now :D

I think I understand the difference between brushed and brushless, I have been looking at the Ryobi drills but they actually cost more for similar spec.
 
I have a ryobi corded hammer drill that proven indestructible over the last 14 years, but never had one of their battery drills.
I also had a Makita battery drill that did bloody well for 11 years before it too got smoked to death, but I've never had a makita corded.

But going on my experience, I would choose makita over ryobi, unless it was going to be severely abused from day one.
 
Oh dear. A lot depends on how heavily you use the tools. Mine are expected to deal with quite heavy duty work and if you are similar then I would make sure that you get tools with robust metal gear trains (not plastic). I would pay a bit extra and get 5 or 6 amp hour batteries too. Impact drivers really take it out of the batteries. If you go Makita, make sure the kit comes with the fast charger version.

Can't comment on brand really, but Skill Builder on You Tube tends to do pretty fair reviews. In my case I went for Milwaukee Fuel 18v but they are 6 years old now and still excellent. They have done a lot of work.
 
I've got some Makita stuff (including a cordless drill) and it seems to work well.

Every tradesman who has ever come to our house (plumbers, electrician, builders) have had Makita kit so it can't be too bad (although I think one of them mentioned that Makita offer good deals to apprentices so perhaps that's why they all get hooked on their stuff).
 
ooohh i literally sold that kit plus a the big LXT hammer drill to a neighbour for £100. I had them a few years and they never skipped a beat although to be fair i keep my tool in fairly pristine condition.

I really rate Makita and only sold my drills as I bought some green ones for a change, i still have the SDS/trim router and multi-tool though.
 
I had a Ryobi cordless drill and decided to switch to Makita when my third Ryobi battery died (I only had the drill, so wasn't too invested in the Ryobi system once the batteries were dead). The Makita stuff hasn't missed a beat and the chuck on the Makita drill is in a completely different league to the Ryobi one: it's so much easier to tighten and never, ever comes undone, which the Ryobi one would do on occasion. My Makita one is a different model to the one you linked and the chuck looks a bit different, so take that with an appropriate level of scepticism.

One small side effect of the Makita one: I mostly now spin the chuck by hand rather than tightening it by holding the chuck and squeezing the trigger. It spins freely enough that it's quick to do it by hand and the drill has so much torque it feels like it'll take your arm off if you're holding too tightly onto the chuck and squeezing the trigger!
 
If you have never had an impact driver you are in for a pleasant surprise. Saved me hours when I did our bungalow refurbishment.
 
I have a totally indestructible corded, two speed, British made Wolf 'Saphire' 76 power drill which I bought strangely, in 1976. Still going strong; no black smoke :D - Rob
 
Lurker":2uqtm20u said:
If you have never had an impact driver you are in for a pleasant surprise. Saved me hours when I did our bungalow refurbishment.

Absolutely, and they don't need to be big. However, you need lots of replacement tips.
 
I talked myself out of buying an impact driver. I liked the idea, and was on the brink, but when I saw them used I realised that for my everyday diy and small screw usage it was complete overkill.
If youre using large timbers and even larger screws, then its a no brainer, but for me, it was just too loud and aggressive to fit into my work box.
 
sunnybob":3hiutiop said:
I talked myself out of buying an impact driver. I liked the idea, and was on the brink, but when I saw them used I realised that for my everyday diy and small screw usage it was complete overkill.
If youre using large timbers and even larger screws, then its a no brainer, but for me, it was just too loud and aggressive to fit into my work box.


^^^ what he said :)

I loved my impact until i tried the "green" CXS and i have been completely converted.
 
I've got a pneumatic impact gun. I bought it from Lidl when I built a kit car a few years ago and it was useful when I was at the stage of getting the wheels on and off a lot. The best thing about it though was that it made me feel like an F1 mechanic.
 
That looks a good buy. Metal gearbox etc. I am sure you will be very happy with this pair.
 
I was a little unsure of the impact driver and when I first used it as it was very loud, I found the auto setting and it is much quieter, the impact only works when required. The vairable spped on the trigger still catches me out. I have quite a lot of fencing to put up in the summer so the light weight unit will be very helpful.
 
Woodbloke":3hcvhfx0 said:
I have a totally indestructible corded, two speed, British made Wolf 'Saphire' 76 power drill which I bought strangely, in 1976. Still going strong; no black smoke :D - Rob

Bought mine in 1972, it still works although it has been superseded by a B&D Orange which also still works and gets used for sanding, sits in a stand.


Bought a Makita drill with a hammer function, nice piece of equipment to replace the B&D.

Then acquired years ago (must be about 10th owner) a Bosch hammer drill which takes those drill bits with the 'funny' fitting. Only used for drilling into mortar, brick and concrete. Very fast! {EDIT}

And the last purchase was a Bosch 12v drill/driver.
Gets used the most apart from the pillar drill. Not sure how I ever managed without one.


{Edit - I now know what they are called - SDS bits - Spannen durch System } :lol: :lol:
 
I would like something that will make drilling into hard bricks a little easier, Our house and the flat were constructed using pretty standard house bricks however they have a black core which is very hard indeed.
I do have my late fathers Bosch corded hammer drill even it struggles with these bricks, but it is well over 30years old.
 
If you want something better for bricks / hard substrates get an SDS, I've a really cheap one that's 20 years old and still comes out occasionally, plus you can use it with chisel bits.
 
greeno":1iv0bjce said:
If you want something better for bricks / hard substrates get an SDS, I've a really cheap one that's 20 years old and still comes out occasionally, plus you can use it with chisel bits.

Thanks I think that is what I will need. I will need to drill holes at home when I finally get around to the utility room, This year I hope :lol:
 
Yep, an SDS+ drill is what you want for bricks, concrete and the like. This is the one I have, which will work with the same batteries you've just bought:

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dhr202z-18v-lxt-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-20mm-body-only

It's Makita's basic 18V model; you'd want something with more grunt if you were regularly trying to core-drill 100mm holes through cavity walls, but this one does everything I've ever needed it to at home.

You'll also need separate bits for it; a set like this should do you for a while, then you can add singles if and when you need them:

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-d-21200-sds-plus-17-piece-drill-chisel-set
 
greeno":1yqvuktc said:
If you want something better for bricks / hard substrates get an SDS, I've a really cheap one that's 20 years old and still comes out occasionally, plus you can use it with chisel bits.
Absolutely. I'd even suggest that you don't really needed a battery version for home use as there's usually always a socket (plus extension lead) close at hand. You can save yourself a shed load of wonga by getting hold of a corded drill or any power tool (drill driver excepted) for home use - Rob
 
If you are going down te SDS route then make sure you get one that has three settings.

Drill only

Drill + Hammer

Hammer only.

And don't whatever you do, get one without a reverse gear. DAMHIKT :oops:
 
Thanks Lurker,with Screwfix you dont need to keep your receipts. They keep track of all your purchases if you register online you can see all of your receipts and print them off.
Rogers reverse gear rule would take out all of the budget options, You have to pay around the £100 mark for the reverse gear option.
I have looked at second hand but most of them look knackered. There are some refurbished units on screwfix that might be a good option.
 
MY63":28e5nkt6 said:
Thanks Lurker,with Screwfix you dont need to keep your receipts. They keep track of all your purchases if you register online you can see all of your receipts and print them off.
Rogers reverse gear rule would take out all of the budget options, You have to pay around the £100 mark for the reverse gear option.
I have looked at second hand but most of them look knackered. There are some refurbished units on screwfix that might be a good option.

Just for clarification, the "only time" I needed a reverse was when I was drilling a large hole using an auger bit into some oak and I needed to reverse out only to discover that I couldn't. :( I had to remove the bit from the chuck and then use mole grips.

The "only time" bit is exactly that because once I realised that I couldn't do it, I never tried again. :lol:
 
Back
Top