• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Chain Drilling Jig

Dr.Al

Old Oak
Joined
Dec 31, 2020
Messages
3,986
Reaction score
2,915
Location
Dursley, Gloucestershire
Name
Al
I've got a project coming up that's going to involve lots of holes drilled at even spacing in a straight line. To make this quick, easy and accurate, this evening I made a chain drilling jig, based on an idea I saw in a Stumpy Nubs video for a table saw jig (but using civilised metric threads rather than imperial nonsense).

chain_drilling_jig.jpg

This photo shows a close-up of the fence, which has a length of M6 (1 mm pitch) threaded rod epoxied in, very slightly sub-flush:

close_up_of_scale_and_t_track.jpg

The stop block has another piece of threaded rod (actually a set screw with the hex head cut off as I didn't have any more threaded rod) glued in, but protruding slightly (with some wedges underneath to help me set the amount of protrusion just right when I epoxied it in place) so that it engages with the threaded rod in the fence and hence can only be positioned at increments of exactly 1 mm.

stop_block.jpg

It (and the maple stuck on top to overlap the scale on the fence) are exactly 50 mm wide (planed to size on a shooting board) so that both sides line up with the marks on the ruler.

The T-track is unnecessary to be honest, I fitted it so I could clamp the stop and the work piece in place, but the positive engagement of the two threads means that the stop doesn't try to move and it's easy to hold the work piece up against the fence and the stop.

First test:

first_test_cut.jpg
 
Lots of useful widgets can be based around 1mm pitch M6 studding.
However, it does have to be kept clean when used effectively as a rack in this case.
Schemes that rely on a nut and the length of studding being rotated are considerably more resistant to dirt/swarf/sawdust.

Bob
 
Back
Top