• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Cooksley spindle moulder

Guineafowl21

Nordic Pine
Joined
Dec 15, 2020
Messages
558
Reaction score
158
Location
Nairn
Picked this up on ebay for £370. Many thanks to Trevanion for helping me find it:
A210EEA2-CBD7-4D8C-9434-68BF6928DA8B.jpeg

Look what the couriers did to it. The top handle of the power feed and the start/stop buttons were also bashed.
24F9F5F2-C6C0-4438-AD1B-A554059838E2.jpeg

Rise/fall lock is in yellow, then a brake, spindle lock, buttons and belt tensioning bar, which just seems to push against the motor bracket:
FAA58380-05A8-44A1-BB34-F5A1025B99DD.jpeg

Motor looks about big enough. It’s a two-speed job, giving, as far as I can work out from pulley diameters, 3000, 4800, 6000 and 9000 rpm options:
D069905C-AF78-4235-9746-4CC6AF6ED4C5.jpeg

Nice, big rise/fall wheel, speed selector and isolator/socket for power feed:
DCC916EF-0D70-413D-8781-B6D1C541FE1F.jpeg
 
Is there any insurance will the courier?
It looks like a good machine but a real bummer that they knocked it about.
 
the power feed is worth that......
guess it didn't take much thinking about.....?
hope u can get spares....?
or get some heavy steel to make a new one.....
u lucky boy.....
 
Congrats on the machine, their are some real bargains about if you steer clear of the 'trendy' names. It sucks about the damage, I presume it was a pallet courier. I've made a couple of claims with insurance and they have always been forthcoming. That looks repairable with some effort.
 
That's a great buy for that price. I would think that you can get the fence parts brazed without causing any issues that require machining any parts.

Kirk
 
I’ve sent a claim to Palletways, but the final courier dropped the machine off without getting a signature (can’t imagine why...) so I don’t have proof of damage on receipt.

I agree about the ‘badge snobbery’ that Wallace touched on - it looks every bit as solidly built as any Wadkin I’ve seen, but it fetched a third of the price of an equivalent, say EQ. Odd. I didn’t go for an EQ because of those fancy oil mist bearings, which I can’t check on a remote sale. There’s also the speed change from the back, which is a problem as I want to keep it against a wall. I can leave the Cooksley on the low pulley, and switch between 3000 rpm (drum sanding, end grain moulding) and 6000 rpm (everything else) on the pole change switch.

I’ve managed to weld the fence bits back together, fighting the weld distortion by alternating sides. There’s a bit of a tilt on the fence which could hopefully by sorted on a mill.

The spindle is a little bit bent, but I was going to send it to Doubleboost John to take down to 30mm anyway.
 
I’ve been hesitating to show you the weld, but here it is:

B80FE6EA-0CC3-48A5-93E5-8158784D1674.jpeg
68E699F5-1491-4E26-939A-86E6BA89B008.jpeg

I did my best to counter the weld distortion, but...
34A68BAC-15AE-4461-98AE-AFB5C5876B28.jpeg

So my plan is to get the repaired part mounted on an angle plate and skimmed. If not, Trevanion did find me some spare Wadkin EQ fence pieces for sale. If anyone on here has an EQ, can you see if your dovetail slot is 5/8”? If so, I think they’ll fit.

Meanwhile, I’ve emailed Doubleboost about taking the spindle down to 30mm. This will kill two birds, since the spindle is a little bent:

B78FCFEC-5EF9-45D5-8044-CBD27D924090.jpeg

Clocking the reference surface as shown, the furthest non-threaded part is about 4 thou out, the middle being about 2. There is some vibration when running.
 
For the moment, you could shim the fence to get it back to perpendicular. But since you're waiting on the spindle I suppose you could get the fence fixed at the same time.

Kirk
 
Well, the fence piece is at the machine shop, and the spindle is on its way to John Mills, aka Doubleboost (Youtube). I’m looking forward to seeing him tackle it.
 
Hi new here i at present restoring a identical spindle moulder as this one does anyone have any idea how I can remove the spindle bearings
 
Welcome Gavin, I have no doubt that one of our knowledgeable members will be along shortly.
You might like to open another thread and tell us a bit more about what you make and get up to.
Ian
Thanks Ian sorry I don't know how to start a new thread
 
Thanks Ian sorry I don't know how to start a new thread
I hope this helps.

Go to the main or sub forum where you want to start the new thread.

Click on the "Post thread" icon to start the process.

Start-Thread-1.png


A new window will appear as shown below. It is similar to the window at the bottom of an existing thread.

Start-Thread-2.png
 
Back
Top