• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

DeWalt disappointment

Sheffield Tony

Nordic Pine
Joined
Nov 25, 2020
Messages
761
Reaction score
194
Location
Bedfordshire
I see DeWalt are now fully harmonised with traditional Black and Decker quality and service. One of my £60+ DeWalt battery packs failed suddenly after 18 months, which seems a bit short to me, especially as it gets very light use. I thought I'd have a moan to them.

Sorry, excluded from the 3 year warranty. Only one year on batteries and chargers.

Well, I can understand the batteries, 3 years would be a fair life. But the chargers too ? Out of curiosity, I checked the individual cell voltages with my multimeter. They are available at the connector, and helpfully labelled. One cell is reverse charged, the others OK. Defective cell. Try them again.

Ok, I understand your warranty, but notwithstanding that, what of my consumer rights to expect a durable product ? Is packing up abruptly after 18 months what you call adequately durable ? And I pointed out the duff cell.

Response: sorry, it is a one year warranty. And in any case, because you've investigated it yourself, that voids the warranty.

So just measuring the battery voltage is enough to void the warranty ? And no comment on the consumer's right to an adequately durable product.

So, just like Black and Decker garbage now.
 
Hi Tony
My usual go to in these situations is to write a letter and email it to the CEO which usually produces results even if just a grudging goodwill gesture. In this case the UK MD is Mark.Smiley@sbdinc.com

Nothing to lose eh?
 
I've paid the premium and gone over to Milwaukee Fuel. I can't say I was over impressed with DeWalt.
I'm 68 so not going to buy it again. The quality difference is tangible.
 
My Makita doesn’t get a lot of use and the original battery is nearly 9 years old. I had an AEG which I think is the same as Milwaukee? - the two batteries only lasted about 15 months. Panasonic are a big battery manufacturer with a lot of expertise so maybe their battery drills are a safer bet? Just a thought.
 
For the sake of interest I have a Milwaukee 18v Fuel drill and both normal and oil impact drivers all with 5Ah batteries. They have had an enormous amount of use in oak framing for the last 6 years and the batteries have been and remain great.

My nailers are De Walt, 3 years old and the 5Ah batteries are totally fine.

Makita. Not so sure. They are degrading noticeably. One is used almost exclusively in my site radio and has had a great many charge cycles. I do find Makita clones are totally useless.

Maybe batteries are a hit and miss thing. I still have an original Elu 12v drill, which has to be 30 years old, and the battery still works.....just about.
 
I forgot to mention. We also use the same 18V batteries in our lawn mower which is very handy.
 
Woodster":3gmhie7t said:
My Makita doesn’t get a lot of use and the original battery is nearly 9 years old. I had an AEG which I think is the same as Milwaukee? - the two batteries only lasted about 15 months. Panasonic are a big battery manufacturer with a lot of expertise so maybe their battery drills are a safer bet? Just a thought.

I used to be a big fan of Panasonic battery tools, but when they did eventually go wrong getting them repaired was a real pain, in the end i moved over to dewalt probably not as good but get the job done and in the case of drill drivers i no longer expect them to last much more than 18 months if working hard.
 
DeWalt,
in the past US it was always seen as DIY gear over there...
there mains voltage gear was reasonable, thats because they bought out a decent manufacture like ELU and stuck their badge on it.....
Uptill recently only bought Japanese battery tools but now converted to Milwaukee.....
u just gotta remember this is a throw away world now.....shame.....

actually it would be nice if there was a firm like "ink cartrige world" that did a rebuild service on batts.....
now thats an idea....just gotta find decent cells to start with tho....

I have bough a couple of pirate copies of 18v Hitachi batts with good results......also my Hitachi charger quit just before the end of it's warranty but too much trouble to get it returned living here....
again bought a copy......happy with that....
 
clogs":25ivxknl said:
actually it would be nice if there was a firm like "ink cartrige world" that did a rebuild service on batts.....
now thats an idea....just gotta find decent cells to start with tho....

I think finding the decent cells is probably the biggest challenge. You can buy "kits" to make your own batteries - everything you need bar the cells. For example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003690859778.html
 
If you made the original purchase on a credit card it would be worth raising a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act with your card provider. They will then take up the claim (which is against the retailer) on the basis the goods were not durable.
 
I know this might seem hereetical, but you could always just buy from Aldi for not very much and get a 3-year warranty, which they do honour.
I have a blue Bosch, which I uses to raise and lower my router, a Festool which is mainly used as a screwdrive, and a Ferrex which is generally my go-to.
Just saying.
 
Back
Top