• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Dewalt DW733 thicknesser issues. Advice needed.

Reclaimer

Seedling
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
Lincoln
Hello to everyone after a very long absence!

I'm having some feed issues with a DW733, which is bothersome as it's brand new out of the box today.

It worked fine for the first few boards (oak 3-6" wide,) , making fairly light passess. Then the feed began failing to pull the boards through smoothly. The rollers are turning ok, the boards simply stop feeding and the rollers leave black marks on the wood.

I've tried cleaning the rollers and the feed tables even though they didn't seem dirty, but the problem persists. The blades are fine as it's not even done an hour's work. I'm baffled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
I have the same model and it's fine, apart from the screaming banshee noise. :shock:
The only thing that comes to mind is whether the rollers or drive mechanism are seized up.

DOH Just read again and you said the rollers are turning
 
That sounds exactly like gunged up beds but you certainly wouldn’t expect that with a new machine.

I’d most definitely give the beds a good clean and wax before using them for the first time though.
 
Try lubricating the bed with a bit of beeswax or something similar before anything else, tables where workpieces are fed over or through need constant lubrication to keep feeding easy, smooth and consistent.
 
Oops!
I completely neglected the necessity of waxing the tables!
I can only plead a combination of over-excitement at unboxing a new tool, and the fact that I'm very out of practice, this is my first project for a couple of years.

Thanks very much, I'll report back tomorrow :)
 
Almost guarantee Trevanion's right, it’s amazing the difference it can make, going from pushing like mad to easy peasy, I use a little WD40 on a rag but do be careful not to catch your hand on the blades under there. Ian
 
Cabinetman":6w74bdie said:
Almost guarantee Trevanion's right, it’s amazing the difference it can make, going from pushing like mad to easy peasy, I use a little WD40 on a rag but do be careful not to catch your hand on the blades under there. Ian

Doesn't WD40 screw up finishing the wood surface ?
 
I have the DeWalt D27300 P/T....
never needed any LUBE.....esp as it can upset the finish....
mines done hundreds of feet of board....
Have noticed it feeds a bit on/off when planing rough sawn boards in the begining
and if u try and take near the limit depth of cut........
other than that no worries....average board width of 8-9".....
 
clogs":1krl2wiu said:
I have the DeWalt D27300 P/T....
never needed any LUBE.....esp as it can upset the finish....
mines done hundreds of feet of board....
Have noticed it feeds a bit on/off when planing rough sawn boards in the begining
and if u try and take near the limit depth of cut........
other than that no worries....average board width of 8-9".....

That surprises me, pretty much all planers and thicknessers I've used have required some kind of bed lubrication to keep the workpieces going through otherwise the friction will simply resist the feeding forces to the point where nothing happens and you have to push really hard to feed it, a quick wipe with a waxy rag or even a quick spray of silicone spray on the table eliminates the problem.

I know people do rag on about the fact you shouldn't use silicones with wood because of the finishing, but I've personally never had any issues with adherence or fisheyes in the finish because of it. Generally, all finished surfaces get sanded after planing and prior to finishing so I assume any residue if any gets removed at this point.
 
Andyp":2cb4xr6k said:
Reclaimer, cant help but good to see you back here. Wotcha gonna make with all that oak?

A truly awful (thankfully not my design) floating corner tv unit and shelf, using some knotty, split-infested French oak. It'll turn out ok ish provided I can keep wastage down to about 0.00003% :)

But thanks to everybody for pointing out the importance of wax. Feed was super smooth after a quick rub.
 
RogerS":1j9y4u6q said:
Cabinetman":1j9y4u6q said:
Almost guarantee Trevanion's right, it’s amazing the difference it can make, going from pushing like mad to easy peasy, I use a little WD40 on a rag but do be careful not to catch your hand on the blades under there. Ian

Doesn't WD40 screw up finishing the wood surface ?
Never had a problem Roger, but then again I always hand plane surfaces after the planer and I also remove nearly all the WD40 I put on. Ian
 
Back
Top