• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Domino DF500

9fingers":3unayk5d said:
I'm not (yet) using extraction whilst I experiment but ive removed the extraction tube which give much geater room around the cutter and shaking out the dust between each cut.

Bob

I don't think that's going to work Bob. You need constant extraction whilst the cutter is action; I cobbled together a bit of old pond hose and a pond jubilee clip so mine's a bit of lash up but it's been usable since I had the machine - Rob
 
Woodbloke":un2iuf9u said:
9fingers":un2iuf9u said:
I'm not (yet) using extraction whilst I experiment but ive removed the extraction tube which give much geater room around the cutter and shaking out the dust between each cut.

Bob

I don't think that's going to work Bob. You need constant extraction whilst the cutter is action; I cobbled together a bit of old pond hose and a pond jubilee clip so mine's a bit of lash up but it's been usable since I had the machine - Rob

This is only whilst i'm playing. There is no build up of shavings from a single 5mm tight fit, 12mm deep cut.

I've now sharpened the cutter with positive results

Before sharpening

IMG_2818.JPG

After sharpening

IMG_2819.JPG

Bob
 
That looks fine to me Bob. I have to say that I haven't touched up my cutters at all since I've had the Dom, so I'll put that little job on my 'tuit list' - Rob
 
The 6mm cutter (Trend) turned up this morning from FFX so enabled reference slots for 5 and 6mm to be cut ready to make some Domino "sticks" for both sizes.
Raided the scrap bin for suitable offcuts and with the table saw, thickness sander and router table, I have about 10m of stock in 5 and 6 mm.

One thing I noticed is that my blunt 5mm bit cut undersized slots but once sharpened, the slots were a little larger. This suggests that the resistance to cutting forces makes either the cutter flex a little or play in the mechanism of the oscillating arm or both give both shorter and narrower results. My 5mm slots were nearer 17mm wide rather than the 18mm they should be.
So if you find your dominoes are tighter fitting than they used to be (and you have been keeping them dry) it might be that your cutters are becoming blunt.

IMG_2820.JPG

Bob
 
I wonder what difference the 'angle of waggle' makes.

I'm slow, obviously, but it's dawned on me that the 700 subtends a smaller angle than the 500 for a given width, as the cutters are shorter. Or so I think - it may just be the 500's shaft is longer (so they end up close to the same length.

Please could someone who has both (Steve M.?) measure and assuage my curiosity?

I've got the Seneca adapter, but haven't used it beyond a few experiments so far.

Thx, E.
(yup 'im again!)
 
Something to think about Bob, the official Dom's have some crosshatching and lettering embossed in them which I believe is space for glue.

They also have a slightly staggered profile to the round ends which allow glue to escape to stop hydraulic lock stopping you pushing the Dom's all the way in.

Just worth considering when making your own, a lot of people put a single handsaw cut up the length of the Dom on each side to allow squeeze out.
 
For anyone not fully committed to Festool exstraction kit, the dust shute on the domino is a comfortable fit in the end of 1-1/4 " flexi hose often used on garden ponds etc About £5 per metre on the bay - possibly more at the garden centre.

The OD fits nicely in a 38mm /1.5" hole. I made an adaptor to my 100mm dust extractor hose.

The adaptor is a ring of scrap MDF force fitted into a short stub of 100mm UPVC pipe.

IMG_2822.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

Connected to the 100mm flexi hose to a nearby blastgate

IMG_2823.JPG

Bob
 
The other thing you might like to equip yourself with, Bob, are some sanded down dominos for dry runs. I make mine a loose but not sloppy fit...tight enough that sometimes I need to hoik them out via the 4mm holes drilled in them.
 
RogerS":3p6vypcw said:
The other thing you might like to equip yourself with, Bob, are some sanded down dominos for dry runs. I make mine a loose but not sloppy fit...tight enough that sometimes I need to hoik them out via the 4mm holes drilled in them.

I've made a batch of "dom-stock" that is a sliding fit rather than a hameer in fit. Currently they are in an open to the air systainer unlike my biscuits where stock is in the airing cupboard and working stock in an air tight container.
If they do start to swell then I'll find a tupperware or similar box for them to live in.

Bob
 
Somethings not right then if you need to hammer in your dominos.
 
RogerS":a55ld61d said:
Somethings not right then if you need to hammer in your dominos.
Proper doms though Rog do need to be hammered into their 'oles or even better is to use a G or sash cramp to squish them so they sit squarely on the bottom. Even with a hammer, they sometimes don't go in far enough or can end up slightly skewed - Rob
 
Woodbloke":2w99cqq0 said:
RogerS":2w99cqq0 said:
Somethings not right then if you need to hammer in your dominos.
... Even with a hammer, they sometimes don't go in far enough or can end up slightly skewed - Rob

That's why I don't use (or need) a hammer !
 
RogerS":bu31ardg said:
Somethings not right then if you need to hammer in your dominos.

Really? They’re a bloody tight fit and in my experience always need hammering in if you’re using a non-waggled slot...

I have a few that I’ve taken a few passes of some coarse grit to that I use as my test fit ones. Those don’t need hammering in but can still get jammed up every now and then.
 
TrimTheKing":1mipbtwn said:
RogerS":1mipbtwn said:
Somethings not right then if you need to hammer in your dominos.

Really? They’re a bloody tight fit and in my experience always need hammering in if you’re using a non-waggled slot...

I have a few that I’ve taken a few passes of some coarse grit to that I use as my test fit ones. Those don’t need hammering in but can still get jammed up every now and then.

You're right, of course, as are Rob and Bob. Put it down to senility on my part. :oops: They are tight.

Re the test fit ones. Drill a 4mm hole in each end to hoik them out if need be.
 
Back
Top