• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Elektra Beckum HC260e help

Phil

Old Oak
Joined
Jul 23, 2014
Messages
4,216
Reaction score
450
Location
Southern Africa 0054
I wanted to thickness some mahogany for a small project.

While trying to adjust the height, the lifting mechanism jammed. So the bed is now stuck half way, and cannot use it.

Can anybody please provide advice on how to open up that part of the machine?
I have approached Google, but only found changing of knives by Peter Parfitt.

I removed the gears cover and cleaned the gears and chain.

Next I thought I could just use the planing on the top.
No go! Checked the blades.
They were slightly less worn on the 40mm outside edges.
Easy fix, pull them out and turn the blades around.
(very embarrassing this is the first time the blades are being changed since I purchased it second hand many many many moons ago! :oops: :oops: )

Thanks
Phil
 
does the chain move at all......?
did it move ok the last time u moved the bed......? was it stiff....?
If u can fix a bike u can fix this, they are quite simple machines....

if u try to move the chain/sprocket drive with a screwdriver etc.....
look at the chain/sprockets, some or all will rotate a few degrees...
if the prob is a threaded rod that one wont move...
so, 3 of the sprockets will move but the bad one wont......

norm all this can be seen without stripping the machine other than the covers.....

I just fixed a DeWalt plan/thick for a client, it had been stored for a couple of years.....
one of the sprockets had seized on the threaded rod......

prob is u cant use oil for lub because it attracts and holds onto dust etc.....
when u get it working use a dry lub.....
 
Clogs, thanks.
The chain does not move.
Last time I used the machine the bed went up and down but not that smoothly.

It looks like all the sprockets and chains are beneath a panel

What type of lube? Q20 has oil, so that one is out.

I do have a silicone spray, would that be ok?

I will take some pics.
 
9fingers":zs9x0xvx said:
There are manuals in the Dropbox for this machine which might help.
Bob


Thanks Bob, will have a look.
I have 2 manuals that came with the machine, Operating & Spare Parts.


{Edit} Those look like the ones I scanned and sent to WH2
 
Most of these type of machine have four vertical feed screws to elevate the table connected with bike chain. These must move in step to keep the table level. One tooth out and the thicknessing will be ruined. Before you even think about taking the chain off mark the position of each sprocket in relation to a fixed datum. Think of it like the timing belt/chain on an engine. There could be a fifth sprocket used to tension the chain. The position of this is not critical.

HTH Bob
 
Thanks Bob.

Will go to workshop after lunch and look further into the workings.
(have to get priorities right! 8-) )
 
Most of these type of machine have four vertical feed screws to elevate the table connected with bike chain. These must move in step to keep the table level. One tooth out and the thicknessing will be ruined. Before you even think about taking the chain off mark the position of each sprocket in relation to a fixed datum. Think of it like the timing belt/chain on an engine. There could be a fifth sprocket used to tension the chain. The position of this is not critical.

Yes, I have one and it 'cast a cog' after heavy-handed removal men ignored my dri-marker instructions written on the table...I got it back more by luck than methodology, sorry, no plan to share.

There is a rambling thread, over you-know-where on just this problem. The O.P. there had a corner of his thicknesser table drooping, similar to yours Phil. He did fix it, but I can't remember the details and I don't want to invigorate their Mods by going back in to search.

HTH, Sam
 
SamQ aka Ah! Q!":13xeszvb said:
Yes, I have one and it 'cast a cog' after heavy-handed removal men ignored my dri-marker instructions written on the table...I got it back more by luck than methodology, sorry, no plan to share.

There is a rambling thread, over you-know-where on just this problem. The O.P. there had a corner of his thicknesser table drooping, similar to yours Phil. He did fix it, but I can't remember the details and I don't want to invigorate their Mods by going back in to search.

HTH, Sam

Sam, thanks very much.
I went and logged in in the 'other' place and did a search.

Found the thread and most importantly there are pics of the underside of the machine where the chain and sprockets are
 
On the side of the machine is a sticker "Grease threaded spindle regularly with MD40 or equivalent. Do not use oil." The German says use "Caramba Einspruhen".

MD40 translates into WD40 or Q20.
Which does contain some oil?


Rod":wgy1n6am said:
From what I remember you keep the drive etc lubricated with spray on non sticky cycle lube
Rod

Yes! 8-) did not think of that one. I have a bottle from last year when I cleaned the bike chain
I also have a small plastic 'bath' with brushes that fits over the chain, pour in some paraffin, clean the chain, then lube.

I will look for some spare hands and muscle power to help me turn the unit on its side so I can get better access to the chain.


9fingers":wgy1n6am said:
Agreed and the feed screw need to be kept clean and lubricated.
Bob
.

Will do myself a M-see-M-do* service guide and file it with the manuals.

* Monkey-see-monkey-do
 
Phil, when you do get it upside down, motor out etc, I have the vaguest of memories about placing a plank or two inside the vault of the machine, to keep the cutterblock a standard distance from the 'floor'. Thus, when you are replacing the chain, all four corners are the same dimension?

Sam
 
SamQ aka Ah! Q!":1oat5tup said:
Phil, when you do get it upside down, motor out etc, I have the vaguest of memories about placing a plank or two inside the vault of the machine, to keep the cutterblock a standard distance from the 'floor'. Thus, when you are replacing the chain, all four corners are the same dimension?

Sam


Sam, I have the machine on its side (neighbour helped) and will now start looking at the chain and gears. I don't want to make extra work for myself if possible.
Using an old toothbrush and paraffin to clean the chain, and when I knocked over the bottle decided it was time to pack up. Getting down on the floor and back up is a mission. :(
I also needed to have a shower as we were going out.

Will look later today and take some pics.
 
Back
Top