• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

festool domino

Thanks Steve.

I have some money to spend that's why I can afford to buy one, typically they are out of stock every where.

I also need a new computer as mine won't run the latest version of Photoshop, dual 3gig quad core Xeon processors don't cut it these days.

Pete
 
At this point I think a good deal constitutes somewhere with any in stock. As far as I can see you're more likely to suffer a nasty bite from a hen than find one for sale :eusa-whistle:
 
Unfortunately that's only the 110V version in stock; the 230V is 'available soon'.
 
Many Festool bargains are 110v on auction sites. All you need is a transformer with two outlets under the bench and it makes no difference whether it is 110v or 240v.

My Domino is 110v. As I am a DIYer and it is not a site tool for me, it just gets used in my workshop. The trade guy I bought it from sold it in pristine, unmarked, condition because he never used it on site. It was still well inside guarantee. Approx £200. I bought a pristine 110v Vecturo from the same bloke as he was swapping to cordless. For a multitool cordless is better but mine still gets lots of use despite needing to move my transformer fairly close to the work. I paid £140 for that tool with Festool box, the various jigs for vertical cuts, a couple of blades and a Fein star lock blade adaptor. Brilliant tools and I would not be without either of them now.

It's horses for courses, but personally I don't dismiss 110V.
 
I just had a look at the Axminster website and it’s now two week before they have any stock.

Pete
 
AJB Temple":2a1sd0xy said:
Many Festool bargains are 110v on auction sites. All you need is a transformer with two outlets under the bench and it makes no difference whether it is 110v or 240v.

My Domino is 110v. As I am a DIYer and it is not a site tool for me, it just gets used in my workshop. The trade guy I bought it from sold it in pristine, unmarked, condition because he never used it on site. It was still well inside guarantee. Approx £200. I bought a pristine 110v Vecturo from the same bloke as he was swapping to cordless. For a multitool cordless is better but mine still gets lots of use despite needing to move my transformer fairly close to the work. I paid £140 for that tool with Festool box, the various jigs for vertical cuts, a couple of blades and a Fein star lock blade adaptor. Brilliant tools and I would not be without either of them now.

It's horses for courses, but personally I don't dismiss 110V.

I agree. I bought a Festool jigsaw from eBay because it was good value and I already had a 110V tranny. I would buy any 100V tools now if it made financial sense.
 
first, what the hell are you doing up and on the internet at 5 30 am?
second, am I THAT far out of date?
all 110 volt site tools should be yellow :shock: leads to denote the voltage difference between black 220 volt.
 
sunnybob":3jxhhsmt said:
first, what the hell are you doing up and on the internet at 5 30 am?
second, am I THAT far out of date?
all 110 volt site tools should be yellow :shock: leads to denote the voltage difference between black 220 volt.

The massive yellow commando plug does that surely...!
 
I've been retired 7 years next week. Right up till then, all site power tools were required to have 110 volt and yellow cables.
Since then, I dont know.
 
There certainly seems to be a glut of 110v tools available on Facebook at the moment. Everyone moving to cordless seems to be the main factor.

Biding my time to see if I can find a decent Kapex / TS55 as many of them have been well (ab)used
 
Exactly. Cordless is taking over for site work and 110v seems only to be seriously heavy duty tools now.

In a home workshop, especially for equipment that is tethered to a vacuum - such as the Domino - then 110v makes no practical difference to me except a saving of probably around £400. However, I had a transformer anyway for my heavy duty drills so that was not an extra expense.
 
Do restroom do mains/battery extractor that can power a battery tool? That would be a useful bit of kit if you could afford it!

Pete
 
Pete I have also been looking for the same set. My concern is that Festool were updating the model.
I sent an email to Festool UK this is part of the response.

Due to high demand we are experiencing a delay with tools arriving into stock. We are replenishing our dealers stock as quickly as we can.

The best thing to do would be to place an order with your preferred supplier so that you are in line to get a tool as quickly as possible.

Not much help really. But they did reply quickly.
 
I guess that's the right thing to do, I think I will use Axminster, they haven't let me down in the past.


Pete

Well looks like you can't order it if its out of stock, i have signed up for notification of when its back in stock
 
FWIW, I was reading comments from some dealers on the Festool Facebook group and 240V OF1400 routers are 2-3 months from being restocked and their 2 shiny new cordless drills are now OOS with near the end of the year as an ETA. Various sizes of 240V Kapex come in to stock every few months but they're typically pre-ordered. You can imagine what that's doing to the already "good" resale values.

110V doesn't appear to be nearly as bad as others have said. I do have a Festool folding rule (it was a freebie) which is bunk... but I'm now contemplating putting it on the Bay and retiring early :eusa-think: :eusa-whistle:
 
You have a PM Pete!

My track saw is 110V. I don't mind, although I mind more as arthritis finally gets a grip on my knees (and I have to lug the transformer about). One knee-saver is having a long 110V extension cord (who cares if it runs slightly slower!). I agree with what AJBT said - having the xfmr under the bench is fine, but my round tuit is switching the circuit breaker for the 13A circuit, as it will trip when the 110V xfmr is plugged in (back emf - if by chance you hit the right point in the mains cycle it doesn't happen). That said, it's annoying that I can't use the auto-on feature of the shop vac with the xfmr, so I probably won't be buying any more 110V tools (just gave my mitre saw (110V) away, for that reason).

I have taken to using machine wax on the pins of the connectors though - makes a big difference, as I have a lot of them. For 240V most of my machinery has, or will be converted to blue 16A plugs/sockets (caravan-type inlets fitted to the machines). This is for two reasons:

a) I hate trailing cords when moving things around, and,
b) I hate having many chained 13A fuses, especially when I have induction motors that I want to start and run cleanly. And 13A plugs are really horrible - they get trodden on, the pins get bent, etc., and the extension pattresses are usually horribly cheaply made (another hate is neons that don't work - rather have nothing!).

Technically, I think it's still legal to use 15A round-pin plugs at 240V (and you certainly used to be able to buy Duraplug ones and the trailing sockets from theatre lighting companies), but the blue "commando" connectors are a bit more robust. Yes, I have a separately fused 16A outlet in the workshop.

Interestingly, my small planer/thicknesser improved its behaviour noticeably when switched to a 16A inlet. I think it makes a big difference - the 13A fuses limit the current at startup, just when a good surge is needed.

I don't fit 16A to everything, but if it will be used at the end of a long extension, or it's a machine with a big induction motor, it gets a blue plug, My longest mains drum is 16A plugs, arranged so the male end is on the drum itself, so you don't have to climb ladders with a cable drum! The hedge trimmer has 16A for the same reason. In those cases there's a 16A to 13A plug tail at the drum, going into an RCD and then to the mains.
 
You are welcome Pete.
When the manager said he could get me one and I knew you were looking I asked if he could get another.
 
That's good to hear Pete. Just be sure you have an extractor that'll fit the blighter. This is a tool that needs one to basically function as it'll clog up and make nasty holes without it.
 
Nelsun":2fblqzo9 said:
That's good to hear Pete. Just be sure you have an extractor that'll fit the blighter. This is a tool that needs one to basically function as it'll clog up and make nasty holes without it.
I agree. Chip extaction is not an optional luxury.
S
 
My Parkside vac seems to work well enough, I had a play with it yesterday.

I did manage to cut a domino slot in the edge of my bench after not locking the fence, but a domino fitted in the hole a treat.

Pete
 
Steve Maskery":8xlcyg08 said:
Pete Maddex":8xlcyg08 said:
I did manage to cut a domino slot in the edge of my bench after not locking the fence, but a domino fitted in the hole a treat.

It's a rite of passage.
S

Yup I put a a lot into the cast iron top on my tablesaw by forgetting to adjust the plunge depth.
 
MY63":11pdxn1n said:
I may need to buy one of their extractors now.

You don't need anything as fancy as that, Michael. Any cheapie vacuum with a power-on socket to plug the Domino into will do you. The only thing I did buy was a smaller diameter more flexible extraction hose to plug into the Domino to make working with it easier.
 
RogerS":23hidzi6 said:
MY63":23hidzi6 said:
I may need to buy one of their extractors now.

You don't need anything as fancy as that, Michael.

I think you're reading that "need" as in "necessary", which may not be applicable in this case... :lol:
 
Back
Top