• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Lidl/Parkside tracksaw

9fingers

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
10,414
Reaction score
165
Location
Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New F
I'm gradually psyching myself up to get one of these.
It seems thay they tend to appear May/June time of year and I found references to then being available 2017,2018 and 2019 but not 2020?
Does anyone know if they appeared last year? Anyone work for Lidl and can give a heads up on availability?

Watching Peter Millards vids on the subject it seems the Lidl one is a cut above ( :lol: ) the Aldi offering which is a badged Scheppach. Next up from bottom on performance seems to be the Titan.
However it does seem the Parkside is by far the best vfm at around £65 in past years. Half the price of a titan elsewhere.

Bob
 
I bought one each for me and my son when I started boarding my workshop a few years ago.

I get on OK with mine. He had trouble with the blade bolt. I'm still using mine to cut 8x4s before I take the cuts into the workshop for table-saw cutting.
 
I got the mccalister over the titan.
Fantastic bit of kit that suffers the same as all low price track saws of less than ideal dust collection.
Not sure how i managed with out it for so long to be honest.
 
Malc2098":2w1c69zf said:
I bought one each for me and my son when I started boarding my workshop a few years ago.

I get on OK with mine. He had trouble with the blade bolt. I'm still using mine to cut 8x4s before I take the cuts into the workshop for table-saw cutting.

Thats the application I see for mine mainly.
My main concern is that maybe they did not appear last year and might not surface again this year.
The track pieces are only 700mm but extras were available very cheaply in the past.
Another fly in the ointment is that the german supplier https://www.kompernass.com/de of extra track pieces is currently not shipping to UK whilst they set up a new post Brexit ordering process.

Bob
 
novocaine":328mn6hn said:
I got the mccalister over the titan.
Fantastic bit of kit that suffers the same as all low price track saws of less than ideal dust collection.
Not sure how i managed with out it for so long to be honest.

Watching Peter Millard last night on Youtube, he improved the dust collection of the cheapy saws simply by taping over the blade fixing aperture. Might be worth a try?

Bob
 
It does work. My issue is the dust port. It has a set of supports running across it so if you are doing a trench cut in something like mahogany the curly long shaving blocks the port.

As said, other than this minor annoyance (which is all it is) its been fantastic.
 
Bob I also followed Peter Millards advice and bought the Titan as the Lidl one was not avaiable. My first one the track was warped. Returned without issue, The replacement worked for short periods but kept sticking in the track. There were two grub screws on the base that kept losening and binding on the track.
As I had lots of cutting to do I gave in and splashed out on the Makita. I like the parkside products I would give it a go. They will give you a refund at any time.
 
The lidl track adjustment is by two eccentric plastic thingies in the track groove. They work for me.
 
Ah, Titan. Set new standards in Not Fit For Purpose. Talking of which, is Rutland still pushing their dire Dakota stuff. I've not been on their website for many years.
 
RogerS":3ft8t8g4 said:
Ah, Titan. Set new standards in Not Fit For Purpose. Talking of which, is Rutland still pushing their dire Dakota stuff. I've not been on their website for many years.

I must have been lucky. At least 3 titan items I can think of. The SDS/demolition hammer has died but has been worked hard and must be getting on for 20 years old - I think I paid about £40

The mini plunge saw (un tracked) is excellent (run down a straight edge as it does not have a riving knife) splinter free cutting in ply. I bought it as at 700W it will run off my suitcase honda genny to roughly breakdown sheet goods in Shed car parks. This was in the days before cordless saws became cheap. My local Wickes and B&Q now have instore cutting but it still finds use in the workshop
Third item is a sabre saw that has withstood abuse cutting tree roots etc.

I've found Titan good VFM to be honest and no quibble returns at Screwfix not that I've needed to test it.

YMMV

Bob
 
9fingers":1phifb19 said:
RogerS":1phifb19 said:
Ah, Titan. Set new standards in Not Fit For Purpose. Talking of which, is Rutland still pushing their dire Dakota stuff. I've not been on their website for many years.

I must have been lucky. At least 3 titan items I can think of. The SDS/demolition hammer has died but has been worked hard and must be getting on for 20 years old - I think I paid about £40

The mini plunge saw (un tracked) is excellent (run down a straight edge as it does not have a riving knife) splinter free cutting in ply. I bought it as at 700W it will run off my suitcase honda genny to roughly breakdown sheet goods in Shed car parks. This was in the days before cordless saws became cheap. My local Wickes and B&Q now have instore cutting but it still finds use in the workshop
Third item is a sabre saw that has withstood abuse cutting tree roots etc.

I've found Titan good VFM to be honest and no quibble returns at Screwfix not that I've needed to test it.

YMMV

Bob

I'll wager that their current SDS hammer won't last as long as 20 years ! Quality was more important 20 years ago.
 
I have the titan vac and the bandsaw. Both are fit for purpose and do a sterling job. I also have an 18v drill that only died when one of the batteries scrapped out. Still use the other when im doing something rough like sanding a nut to round or similar. Still goes strong although the hammer has finally snapped. Its the one i lend to the neighbours when they come asking.

Not all of it is crap Roger, it might not be default or maceater but its robust enough for what it is.
 
I have the Aldi Sheppach. I don't use it with the track or blade it came with. Instead i'm using Evolution track that comes up discounted on Amazon now and then and a Freud blade. The saw fits fine but the Aldi track cannot join the Evolution track.

Advantage of the evo track is that it comes with clamps that go on the underside in the spline groove - can be fiddly but secure once in position. Have 2 x 700 and 2 x 1400 tracks now.

Liked recent postings about homemade MFT tables with the square layout peg holes making it easy to cut square. Something for the back burner.
 
The main criticism of the aldi track seemed to be the splinter stripes too thin to rest on the work when the rest of the track is flat. Press on the track to make contact and the cut goes off 90 degrees.
One of the makers. Makita I think supplies replacement strip reasonably priced which might refurb the aldi track to usable condition.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-194419- ... B005JI1ZF2

Seems that a lot hinges around the track and it’s availability. I’ve seen a few evo saws with 3x340 mm track which might be attractive to store but you need 8 pieces for a 2.4m cut. Good know it comes in decent length too.

Bob
 
Trouble is the 2 x 700 it comes with will not be enough and a join is less than ideal for trusting everything is straight. The saw has adjustment to fit the raised part of the track but other makes 1400mm may not match and the saw will be right on one and not fit or be loose on the other.
 
I have no issue with my 2 700 tracks joined resulting in an acceptable straight edge Rob.
The issue is it not being long enough most of the time. :lol:
 
Titan isn't available any more although screwfix have the Mac Allister variant which looks the same. I've abused my Titan since I got it, still works really well and well worth the money (£99)

I have a Mac Allister wood muncher which is also brilliant.
 
I too have the Parkside/lidl track saw. Have had for a few years now and have been impressed at how good it was for £40 (I think they are about 50 now). The guy in front of me was a tradesman and was buying 2 of them, he was saying that when he killed one he'd just send it back on the 3 year warranty and move onto the next one, and at the same point make use of the 4 pieces of track.

I recently discovered the inability to purchase extra track from Germany, I am currently investigating if my boss (based in Germany) can find a way to ship some to the UK - if he can then I will post here incase anyone else wants some.

I havent had too much of a problem with keeping a straight line with the track, but I have looked at putting an extra joiner in the left hand open section - would just need a couple of screw holes in the track and I think will add some extra strength.

I also need to find a couple of clamps that fit into the slot underneath.
 
I bought one of the aldi variants about 3 years ago, never got a chance to use it. A 'friend' borrowed it and has never been seen since :oops:
 
sidtsloth":37mkygfu said:
I too have the Parkside/lidl track saw. Have had for a few years now and have been impressed at how good it was for £40 (I think they are about 50 now). The guy in front of me was a tradesman and was buying 2 of them, he was saying that when he killed one he'd just send it back on the 3 year warranty and move onto the next one, and at the same point make use of the 4 pieces of track.

I recently discovered the inability to purchase extra track from Germany, I am currently investigating if my boss (based in Germany) can find a way to ship some to the UK - if he can then I will post here incase anyone else wants some.

I havent had too much of a problem with keeping a straight line with the track, but I have looked at putting an extra joiner in the left hand open section - would just need a couple of screw holes in the track and I think will add some extra strength.

I also need to find a couple of clamps that fit into the slot underneath.

I use this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EZ793RE/

fits perfectly snuggly at the edge of the track (you may need to slightly file/sand the bar) and comes predrilled.

Sadly, the screws are brass and like butter, and since it's imperial screw size, I don't have any grub screws or machine screws I can use.
Do you know where I could find imperial sized grub/machine screws?
 
sidtsloth":1s2mm3yk said:
I too have the Parkside/lidl track saw. Have had for a few years now and have been impressed at how good it was for £40 (I think they are about 50 now). The guy in front of me was a tradesman and was buying 2 of them, he was saying that when he killed one he'd just send it back on the 3 year warranty and move onto the next one, and at the same point make use of the 4 pieces of track.

I recently discovered the inability to purchase extra track from Germany, I am currently investigating if my boss (based in Germany) can find a way to ship some to the UK - if he can then I will post here incase anyone else wants some.

I havent had too much of a problem with keeping a straight line with the track, but I have looked at putting an extra joiner in the left hand open section - would just need a couple of screw holes in the track and I think will add some extra strength.

I also need to find a couple of clamps that fit into the slot underneath.


Peter Millard did a video series on these track saws and track compatibility. You might want to take a look and see what the alternative tracks are rather than hoping for an original.

[youtubessl]_HtpT_bK7zw[/youtubessl]
 
Back
Top