• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Morse taper revolving centre in chuck jaws

AndyP

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
14,407
Reaction score
1,967
Location
14860 Normandy, France
Is there any reason why I shouldn’t do this? Saves a lot of time changing chuck jaws.
IMG_5140.jpeg
As you can probably see I already have. I had another revolving centre in the tail stock. It can’t be pushed back into the chuck as there is a sufficient flange for it to rest against.
 
So long as you are not griping the morse taper in the chuck and you are adhering to the usual practice of driving the centre into the timber first independent of the chuck, then no there is no reason why you should not do this.
Some might say that you are introducing a snagging hazard with the chuck catching the tool/your hand I guess.
 
Thanks Ray,
No the morse tape is not being gripped just the body.
I used it to turn a 4” square blank down to 3” diameter and at no point did I feel my hands were at risk from the jaws
 
I just remove the chuck entirely and access the MT in the drive shaft. Takes moments.
Yeah, I was being lazy and getting fed up with constantly changing jaws and removing the only chuck I own. What I really need is a section of chucks.
I’m right handed too so running the gouge towards the chuck was not a problem.
I was prepping a blank for a pepper grinder and have come up with a cunning plan to more than double the capacity without increasing the height. More on that when I finish the piece.
 
I ..... have come up with a cunning plan to more than double the capacity without increasing the height.
I'm intrigued, being possessed of a Jet 1221 (smallish lathe), but have you jinxed yourself Andy? By inserting the subtle-as-a-brick Baldrick reference?
Hurry up! I want to see your plan!!😎
S.
 
I'm intrigued, being possessed of a Jet 1221 (smallish lathe), but have you jinxed yourself Andy? By inserting the subtle-as-a-brick Baldrick reference?
Hurry up! I want to see your plan!!😎
S.
I have made 4 grinders to this pattern. Supplied by www.Prokraft.co.uk
Known as easy-fit as no special tools nor skills required.
IMG_5141.jpeg

Although I have made mine slightly wider I have stuck religiously to those internal dimensions.
IMG_4017.jpeg

It occurred to me that the 25mm hole down the middle only needs to be 25mm where the grinding mechanism needs to be a snug fit. I could make a 38mm hole most of way down as long as I left enough room for the screws that hold the shaft retainer in place. The tenon in the top would need to be larger too of course. On a 75mm grinder this would, if my maths are correct, double the capacity.
IMG_5141.jpeg

So that is the plan for the two grinders that I am currently working on and if I can make a 38mm ring with a 25mm hole in the middle to enlarge the tenons in the top it would be easy to enlarge the hole on the grinders I have already made.
 
I did something similar on a couple of the crushgrind ones I made. Like the Prokraft ones, the dimensions are only critical at the bottom so you can open up the top as much as you like.
 
Back
Top