• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Motor capacitor

Lurker

Old Oak
Joined
Nov 26, 2020
Messages
3,319
Reaction score
659
Location
Loughborough
Are they go/no go?

Table saw motor stalled from starting a few times this morning, nothing is tight so it’s not seizing.
When the saw runs, it’s as normal.
 
They can change in value going low and causing the motor to loose power.

I bave a component tester I can test it for you, I have a box of exotic wood for you from Steve m I could test it for you when you come to pick it up.


Pete
 
Pete Maddex":391qjwnk said:
They can change in value going low and causing the motor to loose power.

I bave a component tester I can test it for you, I have a box of exotic wood for you from Steve m I could test it for you when you come to pick it up.


Pete

Cheers
I think I will have a rootle and check the value of the cap, and it’s connections. A spare won’t be a bad idea anyway.
I must make an effort to get up to see you, how are you getting on, by the way?
 
I am getting on much better, I managed to put on a pair of pants on standing up, when you can’t bend your knee simple things can be so difficult.

You are welcome to pop round any time, I might be back at work next month.

Pete
 
This is what is on the motor.
I am visiting Pete this week,for him to check it out physically it looks ok, beyond that I am out of my depth.
 

Attachments

  • 41478ACD-D88F-4A63-9C80-1142140D5914.jpeg
    41478ACD-D88F-4A63-9C80-1142140D5914.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 985
Cabinetman":177srsve said:
Bit late to mention it sorry, but even new ones can give a belt if not shorted across the terminals with a screwdriver.

Strictly speaking, a low-value resistor (or a high value resistor for a long time) is a better option as there's less chance of damaging the capacitor from the high currents involved in shorting it out. In most cases you'll probably be fine with a screwdriver though :D
 
When I was around 20 I was repairing an ultra centrifuge and I forgot about discharging the capacitors, I woke up at the other end of the lab.
Never made the same mistake again :D
 
Cabinetman":lixiwvoe said:
Sorry Lurker, I was obviously preaching to the converted.

It was good information for anyone who might stumble across this thread at a later date.
 
Back
Top