• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Pillar drill return spring

Joined
Apr 3, 2021
Messages
301
Reaction score
65
I was using my pillar drill at the weekend, when there was an unexpected noise and the drill no longer required any force to move the bit down! It seems that the spring in it has broken and seeing as it is such a small piece I would like to think that it is replaceable. Does anyone know a good place to get one? Equally important seeing as it is a spring does anyone know the technique for fitting it?

The drill is nothing special as it is a Workzone one for Aldi that cost about £60 a few years back, but it seems a shame to throw it away and replace it when it is only the spring that has gone.

8B604AE1-2883-4CB1-99B8-BB8B2CF86E77.jpeg
5479BD5E-E5EA-40F0-91CA-8A41252FD1D1.jpeg

Thanks

Mark
 
Its a jelly bean part. Almost the same in all makes and models. Amazon/ebay stock them for a couple of quid.
We can talk fitting it once its in your hand but it really isnt hard.
 
Thanks Dave. I must be using the wrong search term on eBay. When I search for pillar drill spring, I get two items the cheapest being £24. Are you able to point me in the right direction?
 
try the same search on Amazon. plenty of hits. £6 and up

Descriptions there also include the words 'quill spring'
 
I would if i wasnt on my phone. But lucky the other lads have stepped in fill the breach.
 
Many thanks all, just the job. :eusa-clap:

It is surprising what different returns you get with a slightly different search term or even the same search term on a different site.
 
I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you fit it the right way round when you install it. I had a moron moment when I replaced mine...
 
Thanks for the reminder. I had even thought about that which is daft. I am still slightly concerned about how to fit it so the spring doesn’t go everywhere. I am sure there must be a straightforward process, I have yet to find out what it is though. :eusa-doh:
 
1. do not remove the binding around the spring.
2. DO NOT REMOVE THE BINDING AROUND THE SPRING.
3. push spring in to housing by hand till you reach the binding, making sure the hook is roughly placed in the stop of the housing
4. use vice to push spring in till you only have the few mm that's still got the binding on it left.
5. now you may remove the binding. be ready for the pop, it will make you jump.
6. back in the vice and push the spring the rest of the way in.
7. fit it to the drill. :D

side notes.
1. Wear glove
2. wear glasses/face shield.
3. you might need pipe grips to squash the spring a little bit so it fits in the housing.
 
Back
Top