• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Round door set from Wealden

RogerS

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
15,619
Reaction score
1,325
Location
Somerset
Looking at this cutter set

round door set wealden.png

I think with some judicious fettling, removal of cutter bits and two passes (inverting between the passes) that it would be possible to have the roundover on both sides of the door. What does the team think ?

TIA
 
It should be possible, provided your stock is accurately thicknessed so as to reference from either face and get the same result. You'd just line up the tongue or groove part of the cutter with the one left by the first pass after flipping the workpiece over. I think the more sensitive operation would be setting your fence for the stile cut on the second pass.
 
£83?! I'd sooner have a set of euro knives ground to my exact spec than pay that much for a pair of dinky router bits Roger. Especially if the router bits include faffing about, I can't abide faffing about!
 
Trevanion":16h0os48 said:
£83?! I'd sooner have a set of euro knives ground to my exact spec than pay that much for a pair of dinky router bits Roger. Especially if the router bits include faffing about, I can't abide faffing about!

Fair point but that is for both cutters. I admit that I did blanch at the price.
 
Mike Jordan":2w1cn9a1 said:
If you have a spindle moulder, eurocutters 98/99 may be suitable.

Thank you for the thought. I do but neither of those would work. And, as I mentioned to Dan, one needs two cutters....scribe and profile.
 
RogerS":1t32t1th said:
Fair point but that is for both cutters. I admit that I did blanch at the price.

Yes but what size door are you making? if under 25mm you could get both made onto a 55mm cutter or maybe even a 50mm, and if you don't have the limiters (you should really, but it wouldn't be the first time for you :D) that won't cost as much as the dual bit set and you will get a much better finish, plus the less faffing.
 
Trevanion":3cg799ot said:
RogerS":3cg799ot said:
Fair point but that is for both cutters. I admit that I did blanch at the price.

Yes but what size door are you making? if under 25mm you could get both made onto a 55mm cutter or maybe even a 50mm, and if you don't have the limiters (you should really, but it wouldn't be the first time for you :D) that won't cost as much as the dual bit set and you will get a much better finish, plus the less faffing.

Oooh...I like your thinking and I just happen to have a block large enough. :text-goodpost:
 
Mike Jordan":2t79zvax said:
I thought that 98/99 were scribe and profile?
They are but the actual shape is not what we're after.
 
OK..so to close off on this and I appreciate all the suggestions.

In retrospect, the size of the round over in the router cutter is great for small cupboard doors (and I would have got a set that Sunnybob mentioned) but for large 2.2m tall doors, out of proportion IMO.

I liked Dan's suggestion of combining the two cutters but Chief Designer, understandably, wants the round over on both sides. That then pushes up the size of the cutter needed (if I want to do the profile in a single pass) and both scribe and profile can't fit on the blank. So double set of cutters. And the door thickness not much less than the main doors. I was trying to keep the thickness of the door a bit smaller than the main room doors for (my) aesthetic reasons. Only about 5mm in it.

I faffed around for ages thinking about it and thought ....JFDI...make the doors the same as the main room door. Use existing cutters. Just get on with it !

As an aside, while going through my existing set of cutters, kept coming across some that I couldn't remember what/when/where :oops: Even when Whitehill put a date stamp on the cutter, you'd think I could go back into emails or Flickr or forums posts to find out what they are for. Not a chance :oops: :oops:
 
Back
Top