• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Sedgwick planer thicknesser

Picalilli

Seedling
Joined
Nov 3, 2021
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Hi all - looking for some general advice on used planer thicknessers, in particular opinions/experience on the Sedgwick PT255. I’m looking at a used one near me that’s going for £1000 with a dust extractor included. Seller is open to offers and I’m going to view it and test it tomorrow evening.

I’ve never owned a PT before so wondering what I should be looking out for, what a reasonable offer would be for it? It seems to have been well looked after, even has the original manual still. Photo below.

I’m also wondering what recommendations people have for transport of these - it says it’s 165kg. I know you’re not supposed to lift by the tables and use a piece of timber through the thicknesser section with the table wound up? Is this a two man job? Will I need a tail lift? Alternatively, is arranging courier/pallet service a better option? It’s about 75 miles away from me. I’m UK based.
 

Attachments

  • E482259F-A5F7-4FF4-B434-3B4ECA6839E4.jpeg
    E482259F-A5F7-4FF4-B434-3B4ECA6839E4.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,159
I’ve had the 12” for many years. A very good piece of kit! At that price it’s a great deal. Whatever you do avoid lifting it by the tables, a tail lift and a pallet are worth the cost to avoid damage to the machine.
Not a machine you can normally wear out but many have been destroyed by careless loading.
 
Sedgewick stuff generally well thought of. Sometimes difficult to get manuals but planer thicknessers are not complex machines.
There might be a separate feed motor with electrical interlock with the cutter motor. Might need a circuit to debug. So check it feeds ok
After doing all the cutting tests, look very carefully at the heads of the bolts holding the knives into the cutter. If in any doubt make sure they all move by loosening each in turn. A stuck/damaged bolt is a bastrd to deal with and until fixed renders the machine unusable. Dont run the machine until all bolts are tight again.

Certainly a two man lift using the sedan chair method you describe and a tail lift will be a great help.
Depend if the seller is able to help load.
Id not risk a planer on a pallet esp when its so near.

Good luck
 
9fingers":6uexteqg said:
Sometimes difficult to get manuals but planer thicknessers are not complex machines.

Good thing there's one for a Sedgwick PT255 in the WH2 Dropbox, eh Bob? ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vo1tb2av...s & Thicknessers/Sedgwick PTt manual.pdf?dl=0

The Sedgwick planers are a pretty bomb-proof machine and there isn't much that can go seriously wrong with them even if they've been mistreated. That particular example doesn't look like it's done much work judging by the planed surfaces on the cast iron tables, when they've seen a lot of work the planing marks (the longitudinal lines in the cast iron faces, made by a large metal planing machine) begin to fade away as the cast iron wears, this is particularly noticeable on the thicknesser tables.

Really, so long as it cuts straight, and feeds well there isn't too much to look out for, you can get wear in the housings for the feed rollers and the feed rollers themselves but the amount of work that would be required for that to occur is quite extreme. The 10" PT is a much simpler machine than the 12" MB, the PT has a single motor that drives both the cutter block and feed whereas the MB has two independent motors.

I'd say £1000 is a little on the heavy side even with the included extractor, I'd be wanting to pay closer to £750.
 
Thanks all - the Luton with a tail lift is double the hire price of a standard transit style van, but I’m wondering if it may be the best option to save damaging the machine (or me!)

Will check the things that have been suggested too. I may check back in here if I decide to go for it and need any advice setting it up!

Thanks again
 
When I bought my MB secondhand, it came on two pallets with the tables removed and tied down on the second one. I really miss it.
 
9fingers":ev02bms9 said:
Rog,
Now that the OP has decided to purchase this machine, there is another one in Hexham mentioned in his similar thread over on UKW

A bit of forward planning ready for the new workshop perhaps?

Bob

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob
 
Back
Top