Trevanion
Old Oak
As some know, I've been sort of half working on rebuilding a Startrite 352 bandsaw, and a right dog of one at that but that's a story for another time. Whilst I'm working on it, I'm thinking about how best to incorporate dust collection into the machine as these typically did not come with any facility to do so. Back when these were sold the regulations at the time only mandated that machines should be connected to extraction when it was used for more than 8 hours per week, so I suspect most did not bother spending the additional money on the dust chute that was an optional extra, I've never seen one for sale with the OEM chute fitted.
I see Yorkleen actually manufactures and sells an aftermarket version of the Startrite chute for around £120+VAT: https://www.yorkleen.co.uk/product/dust-chute/
However, I'm thinking that maybe a better idea would be to cut into the side of the bottom door and inlet a piece of 100mm steel pipe and weld it in at around 45-degrees relative to the blade, with some kind of closely fitting deflectors of sorts each side of the blade to direct dust toward the pipe rather than down into the cabinet. I think having the extraction drawing much nearer the production of the dust right under the blade guides will be much more efficient than having a hopper chute at the bottom of the machine that only captures the heavier and settled fine dust. Of course, even with the deflectors and outlet at the top of the machine, you will still have some dust escape to the bottom of the wheel so in an ideal world you should have the hopper chute fitted as well, but I'm less fussed about a small amount of dust build-up underneath the machine

Red indicates the extraction outlet, blue the blade, and the green the deflectors.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any opinions or if anyone has tackled this problem themselves as I know there are at least a couple of 352 owners here.
I see Yorkleen actually manufactures and sells an aftermarket version of the Startrite chute for around £120+VAT: https://www.yorkleen.co.uk/product/dust-chute/
However, I'm thinking that maybe a better idea would be to cut into the side of the bottom door and inlet a piece of 100mm steel pipe and weld it in at around 45-degrees relative to the blade, with some kind of closely fitting deflectors of sorts each side of the blade to direct dust toward the pipe rather than down into the cabinet. I think having the extraction drawing much nearer the production of the dust right under the blade guides will be much more efficient than having a hopper chute at the bottom of the machine that only captures the heavier and settled fine dust. Of course, even with the deflectors and outlet at the top of the machine, you will still have some dust escape to the bottom of the wheel so in an ideal world you should have the hopper chute fitted as well, but I'm less fussed about a small amount of dust build-up underneath the machine

Red indicates the extraction outlet, blue the blade, and the green the deflectors.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any opinions or if anyone has tackled this problem themselves as I know there are at least a couple of 352 owners here.