• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Tapatalk

Do you use Tapatalk?

• Never

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • All the time

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Only in an emergency

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
I said never but that is more from ignorance than a decision not to use it.

About 50% (at a guess) of my forum browsing is via Tapatalk, and it's the only way I'll access it from a mobile device, but that's purely because the web interface is old and doesn't scale to small screens. If the motivation is to see whether any replacement software needs or wants to support it, then my answer is only if it doesn't have a decent mobile web version.

Of all my internet browsing there is only one site which you HAVE to access with Tapatalk .
I find it filled with so many diversions to the reason I'm there and I hate it :twisted:
Cheers, Andy

Tried it twice on my Redmi 'phone and found it so burdensome, I uninstalled it permanently. The Chrome browser on the device allows me to 'expand' (magnify) the minute typeface WH2 opens with on it. I then have to rotate the 'phone to horizontal in order to read individual posts; slightly irksome too.

I use Tapatalk, because I can read it on my phone. I also used it for my last WIP posting because it was a quick and simple way to get photos from my phone onto the post.

I agree there are lots of ads that are annoying on it and they seem to be getting worse. I was trying to find an ad blocker to see if that would improve the situation, but no luck yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapatalk is the only way I view this forum.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

I do use it very occasionally, but I hate the way they keep pushing for their paid subscription model and the fact that adverts clog the site. So generally I only access the site from my laptop. That said, I am not addicted to my phone and don't much like reading in weeny size.

I generally browse the forum and make posts on my phone, even if including one or two photos.

I use Opera as my browser. It lets you force zooming with a simple double tap. Plus it gives you built in adblocking (not needed here!) and VPN. It takes away any frustration with the software.

Andyp":3pyh878m said:
We’d like to get a feel for how many members here use Tapatalk

Is this an early hint at some plans?

I use it on the phone, where I do most of the forum reading. I bought the pro version years ago, (no adverts) and cannot remember how much it was, but not a lot back then. I have successfully transferred it across a number of phones.
I do post from my pc if I have a few pictures as Tapatalk does give an easy way to place them in line.

Andy
As we are closely looking at upgrading the WH2 software we are also need to make a decision on when and if to include Tapatalk as part of the upgrade. The new software should be more mobile friendly than the existing.

Andyp":2hoypg1s said:
Andy
As we are closely looking at upgrading the WH2 software we are also need to make a decision on when and if to include Tapatalk as part of the upgrade. The new software should be more mobile friendly than the existing.

Righto, it would be optional then ?

Yep, just trying to get a feel for how much it is used and whether we put the effort into implementing it in the new version of the forum.

The new version is optimised for mobile devices much more so in theory we shouldn’t need it, but if there’s people who couldn’t do without it then we may, only may, no promises, think about it.

TrimTheKing":3kxbik08 said:
Yep, just trying to get a feel for how much it is used and whether we put the effort into implementing it in the new version of the forum.

The new version is optimised for mobile devices much more so in theory we shouldn’t need it, but if there’s people who couldn’t do without it then we may, only may, no promises, think about it.

Thanks team for your time and effort behind the scenes :eusa-clap:
Cheers, Andy

toolsntat":2k4iit6j said:
TrimTheKing":2k4iit6j said:

Thanks team for your time and effort behind the scenes :eusa-clap:
Cheers, Andy

It's Trim who should be thanked,TBH, as he's the one who has been doing the heavy-lifting and sweating blood.

Just as a by-the-by...

When the new software is launched, do you have the option of doing a mass mail-out to all members? We have so many former members, and members who have only posted a few times, who I am sure would drop back in at least to have a look if they knew there was a new format. Some of them might "stick". And we could also perhaps do with some of our joint members mentioning the upgrade on UKW.

I have always known I was a bit ill educated when it comes to computers, but to be the only one who hasn’t even heard of it is a bit of an eye opener.
No doubt I could be brought up to date if it was necessary.

It's just an app Ian. Lets you run multiple forums on your phone and notifies you of new stuff. Your life is fine without it :cool:

Mike G":380mj1il said:
Just as a by-the-by...

When the new software is launched, do you have the option of doing a mass mail-out to all members? We have so many former members, and members who have only posted a few times, who I am sure would drop back in at least to have a look if they knew there was a new format. Some of them might "stick". And we could also perhaps do with some of our joint members mentioning the upgrade on UKW.
I’ll find a way to do that yes.

Cabinetman":2fw5xi5o said:
I have always known I was a bit ill educated when it comes to computers, but to be the only one who hasn’t even heard of it is a bit of an eye opener.
No doubt I could be brought up to date if it was necessary.

Nah, ignorance is bliss. :) Stick with what you know Ian. :)

TrimTheKing":3gc0pf3l said:
Mike G":3gc0pf3l said:
Just as a by-the-by...

I’ll find a way to do that yes.

How about a re-branding exercise whilst we're at it? Woodhaven 3. Revenge of The (enter witty wood-related phrase here) .

Picking up on Mike's idea, is it worth asking the better tool sellers to put a link to us on their sites. We would not want to pay, but they have the advantage that members here frequently buy from reputable and helpful sellers like Classic Hand Tools.

Andyp":3cs0qalq said:
Andy

Please, for the love of all things holy, abandon any thought of using Tapatalk on the XenForo based platform. Tapatalk is not needed because XenForo does a great job of mobile platform recognition and adapts automatically for the best viewing experience.

Mike":3l3y6m04 said:
Andyp":3l3y6m04 said:
Andy

Please, for the love of all things holy, abandon any thought of using Tapatalk on the XenForo based platform. Tapatalk is not needed because XenForo does a great job of mobile platform recognition and adapts automatically for the best viewing experience.
I think that’s the general feeling now. I like Tapatalk personally because I already have a million browser tabs open, but I can live without it.

Back