• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Trend Router

Woodster

Old Oak
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
1
Location
Dorset
Are these any good and is the body removable? I’m thinking to use one in a jig. I’d also need 6mm and 1/8” collets for it.

4761803D-DB44-4595-9C54-08CA42C50694.jpeg
https://trenddirectuk.com/trend-t4ek-85 ... lYQAvD_BwE

Edit: I see the body is removable with a 43mm collar and you can get both 6mm & 8mm collets in addition to the 1/4”.

Is the router any good though for light use? Anyone got one.
 
Woodster":eo6discq said:
Is the router any good though for light use? Anyone got one.

Yes, it just exploded :lol:

You think I'm joking but I'm not, the bearings went caput and seized a week or two ago although it is a fairly old machine. The bearings going is a common fault on the T4s, though what do you expect from a £50 router?

A Bosch POF500A would be a very good alternative although you would only be able to pick them up secondhand, they're Swiss-made and a nice simple machine to use. They also have a removable base and you can pick up different sized collets, although I'm not sure about 1/8" which is a bit of an unusual size for a hand-held router, possibly you could find a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter somewhere.
 
Thanks for that. The bearings are cheap and easy to replace by the look of it. I suspect the impeding demise of them would be evident by the noise?

Yes, I actually do have a 1/4” to 1/8” adapter somewhere.
 
Woodster":1gdl2z9x said:
Thanks for that. The bearings are cheap and easy to replace by the look of it. I suspect the impeding demise of them would be evident by the noise?

Yes, it got very loud and very hot around the base and then it started struggling to run. I need to spend a bit of time tearing it apart.
 
You can get a good quality Nachi lower bearing for the T4 for under a fiver from a bearing factor.
 
A lot of people, and I am one, think that the quality and reliability of Trend products has gone downhill.
 
RogerS":u6h7g6ko said:
A lot of people, and I am one, think that the quality and reliability of Trend products has gone downhill.

Yep! Yet another firm whose quality is driven by accountants.
It’s almost inevitable in this country.
 
Yes. I've ceased buying Trend products as well as quality control is largely absent. However, I don't have that router as I have an older, similar Bosch one for small jobs. Swiss made. It's good.
 
Ditto, in the 80's I wouldn't hesitate nor think twice about buying something with Trends logo on it now after so many Trend bits have snapped and flown into the aether just missing my danglies, no more. I did buy a T5 a few years ago and passed that on the at the bay as I thought it was a piece of crap
 
I've had a big Trend router in my router table for years now and it's behaved faultlessly. Can't comment on their cutters 'cos I never use them; either Ax or Wealdon - Rob
 
Woodbloke":f0vf0e0p said:
I've had a big Trend router in my router table for years now and it's behaved faultlessly. .... Rob

There's the thing, Rob. Once upon a time Trend quality was up there with the best. But now, as confirmed by many of us.......
 
Woodbloke":spa2nhd8 said:
I've had a big Trend router in my router table for years now and it's behaved faultlessly. Can't comment on their cutters 'cos I never use them; either Ax or Wealdon - Rob

But that’s just the same thinking as your wedge wood purchase, you can’t rely on buying by brand name based on old experience.
 
RogerS":28meyvgy said:
Woodbloke":28meyvgy said:
I've had a big Trend router in my router table for years now and it's behaved faultlessly. .... Rob

There's the thing, Rob. Once upon a time Trend quality was up there with the best. But now, as confirmed by many of us.......
I have to agree Roger, but perhaps my Trend router was purchased just before the firm disappeared down the pan and is therefore of reasonable quality? That's what I'm hoping but touch wood, it's been a stirling performer thus far - Rob
 
Doug":anr82mra said:
Had the Trend T11 since they launched it & I wouldn’t buy another Trend router, if you like stripping down routers & replacing parts then go for it otherwise if you’re looking for a quality router to fit in a jig then https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/mafel ... YgEALw_wcB

That’s a nice looking router but I can’t justify the price just for occasional use.

I’ve checked out recent reviews, 2020 & 2021, of the T4 and 75% give it five stars so I thought I’d give one a try. I got an additional 10% off the already low price so thought it’s worth a try. It will be interesting to compare it with my other routers but I’m more concerned about how it will work in the jig I’m designing.
 
It's hard to know who makes good stuff anymore, I was rather disappointed with the new generation Dewalt 625E that Craig Salisbury sent me to look at because of the bent armature, they had cheapened a few of the components since the last generation, particularly the bearings where the top one was a third the size of the older generation, and they were using quite a cheap quality (though it was SKF) one for the bottom bearing.

I suppose that's why the old Elu MOF177E fetches good money in good condition, I've seen ones that were new old stock in the box sell for over £500.

Maybe Festool and Mafell are nearer the mark for a price of a router that's built with quality components, where Dewalt, Trend, and others and trying to the price down by making their machines lesser quality. Although I do think the Makita RP2301FCXK is a good router for £300, but I've never looked inside it to see how well it's made.
 
My 30 year old Elu works great, sadly it’s not suitable for the application.
 
Never owned a T4 but had a couple of it's predecessor the T3. Bought it for light duty stuff, it died while still under guarantee, got it replaced and the second one died even quicker. I had a couple of their extractors burn out quickly also.

The only thing I buy these days with a Trend label on are their Snappy hinge centering drill bits which I find good.
 
Presumably you want a router with a 43mm Euronorm collar, the old Bosch POF 600 routers had such a collar if you can find one of those, Tusses of this parish ran one in his home made CNC.
 
The T4 arrived and it seems ok. I’ve only just fired it up to check it works though. Not as good as my old Elu but it seems smoother than my Katsu. Full verdict when I get the opportunity to use it in earnest. One good thing is that it came with 8mm, 1/4” and 6mm collets.

I don’t think I’ll need one but have any of you used a collet extension in your router?
 
I think mines a MOF96E or something similar, I shan’t be selling it. ;)

Edit: I finished making the mount for the T4 so I gave it a try out and it’s smoother than the Katsu in my jig so I’m pleased about that. Not been so lucky with router bits though.
 
Back
Top